Default Shake and Break, part 7

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Sun, 10 May 2015 11:27:49 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .

On Fri, 1 May 2015 10:58:46 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Every extra amp we can get is one
we don't have to generate with the Honda 2000 suitcase generator - the
cruisers' standard; nearly every cruiser has one

===

I beg to differ on that. I and many other cruisers consider on deck

generators to be an abomination. The Honda 2000 is quieter than most
but the sound still carries a long way in a quiet anchorage, and the
more power you generate, the louder it gets.

\
Easy to say for a motor vessel :{))

===

It's true that we have more machinery space than most sailboats but a
heavy displacement 45 footer like the FP should have room somewhere
for a proper water cooled, permanently mounted generator. If nothing
else you could belt up a 300 amp alternator like the one we have and
use it to drive a big inverter and/or charge a whole bunch of
batteries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4890AA-Leece-Neville-Alternator-12V-320A-Replaces-Delco-Penntex-J180-Mount-/111664595235?hash=item19ffba8123&vxp=mtr

If you shop around on EBAY you can sometimes get them for less. You'll
also need a double or triple belt sheave and a J180 style mount.
With the engine running at normal RPMs you can generate over 4KW of
electricity while drawing about 8 hp from your engine.

\
We had a 9KW genset, with a rebuilt, 600hour 3-banger and two air
conditioners. We took them out, and gained a huge amount of storage space.

We also removed the triple-sheave PTO stub which had previously also run the
engine-driven side (the other was AC/air cooled) of the cold plates, all of
which we also removed.

Today, the sun is shining, and the breeze is blowing. Despite my having a
faulty KISS (need to replace the cutout thermostats as they open too
readily), our overnight deficit is supplied, along with the entire usage of
the day (which had me on the computer longer than normal as it's my birthday
and Facebook and mail are covered. So, another day we don't run the Honda.

As it's just battery recharging we need AC for in any sizeable amount, the
9.3KW unused would be a large waste :{))

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson