Default Poor Skippy - MIA

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 12:30:03 -0500, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 23:49:24 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 07:02:08 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Isn't it pitiful how those who are too timid to cruise malign those
who enjoy traveling.

I've certainly seen some evidence of that.

I wouldn't be so sure. What *evidence* you have probably
seen is more likely to be disgust at your mode of travel.

Instead of being a responsible cruiser, you pollute the
air with your motors. You cause others to view you as one
rude and uncaring person when you anchor upwind of them
and they end up having to breathe diesel fumes when one
of the main reasons they are anchored out in the first
place is they want to breathe fresh air.

Loose the stinkpot and you will find you will be way more
welcome in anchorages.

===

I've done many thousands of miles of blue water sailing. It was fun,
challenging and always an adventure. Those days are over however,
never to return unless diesel goes to $20/gallon or something
outrageous like that.

BTW, we've never felt unwelcome in an anchorage and still have many
sailing friends. In the end cruisers are cruisers. We all have
stories to tell and adventures to share. The interesting people that
you meet along the way and the new friends you make are really some of
the best parts of cruising.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 12:11:39 -0500, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

Real men don't sell their freedom in
pursuit of a ball and chain around their ankles.

===

Real men don't make a specialty of telling other people how to live.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 12:11:39 -0500, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 10:26:38 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 13:28:25 -0500, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 18:22:24 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

trim

And as an encore the timid explain Skipper's long stay ashore while
attempting to deflect attention from their own lifetime spent ashore.

Skippy's biggest problem and your biggest problem are
the same. You're both pussy-whipped. You two have not
decided that you are in charge. Instead, you've taken
a back seat to your spouse's wishes (and probably her
nagging).

Face it, you land lubbers are there for a reason. You
haven't the desire nor the gonads needed to tell your
women that they do as you say or they find themselves
out on the street.

Freaking WIMPS who let their women wear the pants are
never going to be successful sailors and cruisers.

A positively amazing statement from an individual who, in fact, knows
almost nothing about me. One can only assume either a highly active
imagination... or some form of dementia.

But, I suppose that in the USian way one can't be too politically
incorrect so to give the Timid Fool his 5 minutes of fame... tell us
oh great pundit, tell me how you know that I am married, or even if I
am married, and perhaps length of any marriage, number of previous
and current wives, number of children, grand kids, etcetera.

You mentioned your wife in passing a time or two. The first
time had something to do with her deciding she'd had enough
cruising so you two ended up stuck in a third-world country
stuck there forever. Any or all past wives or progeny don't
have any bearing on your present, pussy-whipped status.

I see. I mentioned my wife "a time or two" and this leads you to
believe that you know something about her?

Well, lets see. I first visited Thailand nearly 60 years ago and have
resided here for more than 40 years and been married to a native of
the country for about forty years.

So you see, right off the bat you flaunt your ignorance for all to
see.

Then you go on to say, "with her deciding she'd had enough
cruising", and not surprisingly you are wrong again.

My wife has never said that she was sick of sailing and in fact when I
had to make a trip up or down the Malacca Straits, a very boring trip,
I've suggested that she stay in either Singapore or Phuket while I
made the trip and she refuses as she likes to travel.

So again you flaunt your ignorance.

Then you go on to say that, " you two ended up stuck in a third-world
country", and again you demonstrate that you are full, right up to the
brim, with the brown smelly stuff.

I deliberately selected Thailand as a permanent residence primarily as
it was easily accessible to the South East Asian countries I was
working in and it was relatively cheap to live here.

So far, you are batting Zero.

Now we can address the question of "pussy-whipped status".

One can only speculate on the ignorance that leads you to make that
statement. Do you believe that Asian women are overbearing and
continually attempting to dominate their husband? Strange that you
should demonstrate so much ignorance regarding this as the
overwhelming assessment by those who have visited the region is
exactly the opposite.

Now then, I've lived in Japan, parts of China, Vietnam, Thailand,
Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia and my experience is that the
womenfolk in this part of the world, while perhaps not meek and mild,
are not overbearing and continually trying to dominate their partners.
Of course, this is not to say that my experiences are the final word
on Asian women but I do think that it does give me a slight edge in
making a judgment.

So to counter my, nearly 60 years of experience in the matter, perhaps
you would like to post your experiences with Asian women.

Just to demonstrate that you do know what you are talking about... -
always a doubtful matter when discussing the Timid one.

You're demonstrating that you might have Alzheimer's because
you can't seem to remember things your post.

And, just for our edification, you might also care to comment on the
advantages of your, so obviously, alternate life style.

Being a single-hander is more conducive to sailing and, in
particular, cruising. Any time there are two people in the
mix there ends up being twice the excuses for not cruising.

Whatever are you going on about? It is pretty obvious that you've
never done any cruising, never mind whether single or crewed. In spite
of your years of claiming to be a cruiser you have, over the years
that you have been posting, mentioned only one "cruise". Your epic
voyage down the bay, anchoring out, and returning the following day.

I'm not sure whether an overnight, couple of hours out, anchor, and a
couple of hours back deserves the title of a "cruise".

So frankly, you seem to be someone who talks a lot and knows very
little about his subject.

IMO, an alternate lifestyle is the institution of marriage
where the man's quality of life is lessened and the woman's
increased at the expense of the man's. That's what I mean
by being pussy-whipped.

Again, you seem to have an opinion without any experience. I'm afraid
I cannot understand your argument as in my experience has been quite
different. I find married life quite enjoyable as when I get home
after a day's work there is food on the table, the house is clean, the
laundry is done, the bed made, and someone is there to rub the crick
out of my shoulders.

Furthermore, being married is a sign of dependency and lack
rugged individualism. Real men don't sell their freedom in
pursuit of a ball and chain around their ankles.

"Furthermore", you obviously reside in a effete society and know
nothing about dependency or lack there of.

Yes, yes, I know. Living in the States you can always hop down to
MacDonalds or Col. Sanders for supper but if you actually lived in a
society where you were truly independent and self sufficient you would
realize that you can't, alone, take care of yourself. In fact, if you
are truly independent and have no one else to depend on you very
likely can't even survive.
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

Doing engine trials at the moment; on the hook waiting for the tide to turn,
he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3n Me

L8R, y'all

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.
Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other
people's thinking.
Don't let the noise of others' opinion drown out your own inner voice;
and most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.
They somehow already know what you truly want to become.
Everything else is secondary".
- Steve Jobs

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:32:57 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Doing engine trials at the moment; on the hook waiting for the tide to turn,
he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3n Me

Engine test? LOL! Real sailors don't need no stinking engine.

Real sailors use their sails to sail. Pretend sailors rely
primarily upon their engines and call it sailing.

I see you successfully motored down the ICW to Ft. Pierce.

Well, as pitiful as that is, it sure beats what you've
been doing for the past two or three years.

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

Doing engine trials at the moment; on the hook waiting for the tide to turn,
he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3n Me

Engine test? LOL! Real sailors don't need no stinking engine.

Real sailors use their sails to sail. Pretend sailors rely
primarily upon their engines and call it sailing.

I see you successfully motored down the ICW to Ft. Pierce.

Well, as pitiful as that is, it sure beats what you've
been doing for the past two or three years.

Wait, I expanded the track and it's worse than I thought.

It looks like a round trip so no overall progress was
made. Must have been some dire necessity to return to
the starting point. One of the many hundreds of systems
installed must have malfunctioned.

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

Doing engine trials at the moment; on the hook waiting for the tide to turn,
he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3n Me

Engine test? LOL! Real sailors don't need no stinking engine.

Real sailors use their sails to sail. Pretend sailors rely
primarily upon their engines and call it sailing.

I see you successfully motored down the ICW to Ft. Pierce.

Well, as pitiful as that is, it sure beats what you've
been doing for the past two or three years.

Well, if your assertion is correct then you obviously not a "cruiser"
as your great search for the best outboard motor is well documented on
the web.

Yes, yes, I know you will to alibi by saying that it was for your
dinghy, but a bloke who can't operate a tiny little dinghy without a
motor can obviously not operate a great big, 25 ft, sailing boat
without a motor.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

wrote:

Doing engine trials at the moment; on the hook waiting for the tide to turn,
he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3n Me

Engine test? LOL! Real sailors don't need no stinking engine.

Real sailors use their sails to sail. Pretend sailors rely
primarily upon their engines and call it sailing.

I see you successfully motored down the ICW to Ft. Pierce.

Well, as pitiful as that is, it sure beats what you've
been doing for the past two or three years.

Wait, I expanded the track and it's worse than I thought.

It looks like a round trip so no overall progress was
made. Must have been some dire necessity to return to
the starting point. One of the many hundreds of systems
installed must have malfunctioned.

Hey! Great Sailorman! Haven't you any more epic tales about your
corking great cruise down the bay and (gasp) anchoring all night and
the triumphant return.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 07:13:21 +0700, wrote:

Well, if your assertion is correct then you obviously not a "cruiser"
as your great search for the best outboard motor is well documented on
the web.

Yes, yes, I know you will to alibi by saying that it was for your
dinghy, but a bloke who can't operate a tiny little dinghy without a
motor can obviously not operate a great big, 25 ft, sailing boat
without a motor.

I don't know which one you are referring to
because I do have two little outboards. I
have a 2.5 HP for the dinghy and a 6 HP for
the mother ship.

The 2.5 is a Suzuki 4-stroke, single cylinder
and the 6 is a Tohatsu 4-stroke Saildrive
single cylinder.

Both of them run like new. The Tohatsu, in
particular, usually starts on the first or
second pull even when I haven't fired it up
for months. It's rarely needed because I can
sail most everywhere I go around here. That's
one reason you will rarely find me in the
confines of the ICW.

The 2.5 HP Suzuki recently gave me some
problems in that it would no longer idle or
run at low speeds.

I took apart the carburetor and found that
deposits had built up on the brass, midrange
jet, stand tube, small orifices. I cleaned them
out using a suitably sized brass wire. I also
had to clean out the tiny orifices in the throat
of the carb near the throttle plate. There are
four of them and three were clogged with some
kind of black deposit. They are so small that
I had to sand down a thin, stainless steel wire
to a long and slender point in order to clean
but not ream the aluminum openings.

All in an afternoon's work, though, as I'm an
expert at repairing small engines of all kinds.

Now it runs like new again.

I'm not like Capt. Skippy. When I fix things,
they generally stay fixed for a long while
because I have few enough things that I can
easily become an expert at their upkeep and
I'm not trapped in an everlasting cycle of
upkeep and repair and installation and re-
installation.

This is probably because 1) I enjoy sailing
more than installation and repair and re-
installation, 2) I don't have a woman nagging
at me to make the boat into a floating condo.

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

[...]

Nice diatribe but full of hot air, as usual, Bruce.

--
Sir Gregory