posted to uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default No logic - none at all . . .

A roll-up jib on a 17-foot sailboat is a display of no logic.

Adding extra weight and extra lines and extra complications
on a postage-stamp-sized headsail is totally illogical and
justifying it for *safety* reasons, as not having to go forward
as often, is ludicrous.

If you don't want to go forward then you don't want to sail
and you are no sailor. Sailing even a small yacht is similar
to making love to an attractive woman. Would you who justify
a roll-up jib also justify not going below the waist of that
attractive woman?

See what I mean? Use what's there to the best advantage and
don't attempt to substitute a vibrator or some such for what's
below the waist of an attractive women. Don't eschew the fore-
deck of a sailboat either.

--
Sir Gregory
posted to uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

--
CRC Medical
Norfolk
"Sir Gregory Hall, Esq." wrote in message

A roll-up jib on a 17-foot sailboat is a display of no logic.

Adding extra weight and extra lines and extra complications
on a postage-stamp-sized headsail is totally illogical and
justifying it for *safety* reasons, as not having to go forward
as often, is ludicrous.

If you don't want to go forward then you don't want to sail
and you are no sailor. Sailing even a small yacht is similar
to making love to an attractive woman. Would you who justify
a roll-up jib also justify not going below the waist of that
attractive woman?

See what I mean? Use what's there to the best advantage and
don't attempt to substitute a vibrator or some such for what's
below the waist of an attractive women. Don't eschew the fore-
deck of a sailboat either.

--
Sir Gregory

Well, if you like getting covered in spray on the foredeck.....
I can live with the one extra line, and if you think that's complicated
I'd hate to see you use a spinnaker.

If you don't want to go forward? I love sailing but the foredeck is probably
the
most dangerous part of the yacht unless you're in the habit of peeing off
the back at night. I'll go to the foredeck and have done many times in
poor conditions but it's no fun and my sailing is about enjoying myself not
proving what a man I am. It's about safety *and* comfort.

Why not use modern aids? Or perhaps you'd like to go back to using
cotton sails on the grounds that it's traditional and anyone using Dacron
or glass fibre hulls is a wimp?

I do repeat though, that the foredeck of a small boat like these, is a
dangerous place.
Not only will two blokes destabilise the yacht but there's next to no room
to work
unlike a larger yacht where the foredeck of a 37 has enough room for two
with a third
behind in reserve.

TonyB

On 06/11/14 22:26, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
A roll-up jib on a 17-foot sailboat is a display of no logic.

Who, to be blunt, do you think gives a flying **** about your opinion?

Ian

"The Real Doctor" wrote in message
On 06/11/14 22:26, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
A roll-up jib on a 17-foot sailboat is a display of no logic.

Who, to be blunt, do you think gives a flying **** about your opinion?

Ian

It's his attitude not his opinion that's the problem!

( Maybe his opinion as well, come to think of it. )

TonyB

On 07/11/14 11:45, TonyB wrote:
It's his attitude not his opinion that's the problem!

It's his attitude which makes his opinion valueless.

Ian

posted to uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 17:40:02 +0000, The Real Doctor
wrote:

On 07/11/14 11:45, TonyB wrote:
It's his attitude not his opinion that's the problem!

It's his attitude which makes his opinion valueless.

Are you suggesting my arrogance detracts from the
FACTS? Well, you would be wrong as facts are facts
and arrogance in but a lame excuse the thin-skinned
might use to attempt to IGNORE the facts while
stroking their fragile egos.

In this case, the facts are that a roll-up jib on
a 17-footer's fractional rig is stupid. It's even
more stupid considering the diminutive size of the
jib compared to the much larger and roachier main.

The entire vessel is said to carry 180 sq. feet of
working sail. Take a look at the mainsail and jib
and the jib's lucky to contain 40 square feet of
that area. Let's see, that would be a rectangle
four feet by ten feet or a triangle eight feet by
ten feet.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=area+of+a+triangle

**** fire! You might as well put a roll-up rig on
your hanky.

--
Sir Gregory

On 08/11/14 20:19, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
Are you suggesting my arrogance detracts from the
FACTS?

Nope. It devalues your opinions, though, especially that aspect of it
which considers your opinions to be facts.

Ian

Iraq Logic Fritz Wuehler[_35_] Cruising 0 August 9th 14 03:23 AM
Logic? [email protected] General 4 February 7th 13 01:44 PM
Logic question Canuck57[_9_] General 148 August 28th 10 01:35 AM
Logic question Jack[_3_] General 1 August 13th 10 07:39 PM
Logic question Harry[_5_] General 3 August 13th 10 06:48 PM