posted to uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
TonyB[_4_] TonyB[_4_] is offline

Default No logic - none at all . . .

--
CRC Medical
Norfolk
"Sir Gregory Hall, Esq." wrote in message

A roll-up jib on a 17-foot sailboat is a display of no logic.

Adding extra weight and extra lines and extra complications
on a postage-stamp-sized headsail is totally illogical and
justifying it for *safety* reasons, as not having to go forward
as often, is ludicrous.

If you don't want to go forward then you don't want to sail
and you are no sailor. Sailing even a small yacht is similar
to making love to an attractive woman. Would you who justify
a roll-up jib also justify not going below the waist of that
attractive woman?

See what I mean? Use what's there to the best advantage and
don't attempt to substitute a vibrator or some such for what's
below the waist of an attractive women. Don't eschew the fore-
deck of a sailboat either.

--
Sir Gregory

Well, if you like getting covered in spray on the foredeck.....
I can live with the one extra line, and if you think that's complicated
I'd hate to see you use a spinnaker.

If you don't want to go forward? I love sailing but the foredeck is probably
the
most dangerous part of the yacht unless you're in the habit of peeing off
the back at night. I'll go to the foredeck and have done many times in
poor conditions but it's no fun and my sailing is about enjoying myself not
proving what a man I am. It's about safety *and* comfort.

Why not use modern aids? Or perhaps you'd like to go back to using
cotton sails on the grounds that it's traditional and anyone using Dacron
or glass fibre hulls is a wimp?

I do repeat though, that the foredeck of a small boat like these, is a
dangerous place.
Not only will two blokes destabilise the yacht but there's next to no room
to work
unlike a larger yacht where the foredeck of a 37 has enough room for two
with a third
behind in reserve.

TonyB