Default No massive refit at all

Regarding Message-ID:

Dear Capt. Skippy,

We real sailors never have the need for a massive refit
and if, heaven forbid, we did have such a need, due to
some extraordinary circumstance, even so, it would be
an admission of sloth and other such lubberly traits.

So what do we real sailors do as everybody knows nothing
is forever and breakage and routine maintenance is a fact
of life? Well, we real sailors live aboard and we never allow
the type of decrepitude that requires a massive refit.
Instead, we spend our time daily doing the required upkeep
and routine maintenance so as to never require a massive
refit. We have our priorities straight and our ducks in a row.
We can't abide anything other than shipshape and Bristol
Fashion.

Real sailors would be mortified to admit they required a
massive refit. Even pretend sailors should have the
common sense and sense of pride to never give a blow
by blow account of a massive refit in Internet discussion
groups because doing so is a public admission of lubberly
incompetence. If one is incompetent and lubberly, the
very least one can do is have the decency to not claim
to be a sailor.

--
Sir Gregory
Blue Water Sailing Yacht, "Cut the Mustard"

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:59:04 -0400, " Sir Gergory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

[...]

===

Sir Gredory, as a self proclaimed "real sailor", I am shocked and
appalled that we did not see you in the Caribbean last winter with all
of the other real sailors (RS). There were RS from all over the
world, some in boats barely larger than "The Mustard Gas". Many had
gone transatlantic from Europe, some single handed. Those guys are
truly RS, and they clearly and demonstrably have the RS (Right
Stuff).

Aloha y ciao y hasta luego et bon soir and auf wiedersehen.

åke wrote:

[...]

Strangely considering the author :-), the above is a massive display
of utter ignorance. Working ships frequently undergo "massive refits".
I've got a good friend, a marine engineer, who has been making a very
good living for the past 20 years as Project manager on "massive
refits" of commercial vessels.

But more to the question, how would the owner of a "Blue Water Sailing
Yacht" know whether he has an actually blue water boat if he never
goes sailing"?

Ah well, I suppose he read it in a magazine.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

åke wrote:

[...]

FYI, working ships have to be economically viable propositions.
One way to accomplish this is to run them 24/7/365 until it
would be too dangerous and too costly to continue. So this
requires a massive refit from time to time. (Some of the cruise
ships might need a such a massive refit more often considering
the abysmal record of late from some of them that break
down and have to be towed into port with most everything not
working - not even the sewage system). I can't remember
the last time my cedar bucket broke down. ;-) There's a
lesson in there somewhere, folks simplify, simplify, simplify!

Anyway, recreational sailors have no need to run their vessels
into the ground like commercial vessels. That you seem willing to
compare apples and oranges casts doubt upon your qualifications
as a recreational sailor. But, perhaps you've been away from it
for so long that you've simply forgotten how it should be done?

But more to the question, how would the owner of a "Blue Water Sailing
Yacht" know whether he has an actually blue water boat if he never
goes sailing"?

Never goes sailing? Sounds like a big PKB to me. One need not
join the madding crowd in the Caribbean to be called a sailor. The
Caribbean crowd sailors have no idea of the efficacy and no desire
to be completely out of the loop. Nay, they need to be near civilization
so they can Tweet, Facebook, Usenet, email etc. IOW, it's, "HEY
LOOKIT MEEEEEE!" You call THATsailing? OMG, Joshua Slocum
is spinning in his watery grave! The only reason that old gentlman
discussed his sailing is because he needed to earn some cash.
Had he been independently wealthy nobody would have every
heard of him and Rubes like you would be saying. Slocum?
Why, he's no sailor. He never goes anywhere. How droll.

--
Sir Gregory

åke wrote:

[...]

Please see my reply to Bruce at the Bangkok Dock!

--
Sir Gregory

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:22:21 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

.. .
åke wrote:

[...]

But, you wrote above, "real sailors never have the need for a massive
refit", or perhaps you don't consider commercial vessels as being
"read sailors"?

Anyway, recreational sailors have no need to run their vessels
into the ground like commercial vessels. That you seem willing to
compare apples and oranges casts doubt upon your qualifications
as a recreational sailor. But, perhaps you've been away from it
for so long that you've simply forgotten how it should be done?

Ah... now I see. Real sailors are those who make a living from the
business, i.e., "working ships" while "Recreational Sailors", i.e.,
those who play about with the Tupperware toys...

So, if you are going play about in tiny toys I think that you should
be honest about it and stop referring to yourself as a "Real Sailor".
Perhaps a "recreational sailor" or even a rat, who was quoted as
saying, "Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: messing
--about--in--boats; messing----"

But more to the question, how would the owner of a "Blue Water Sailing
Yacht" know whether he has an actually blue water boat if he never
goes sailing"?

Never goes sailing? Sounds like a big PKB to me. One need not
join the madding crowd in the Caribbean to be called a sailor. The
Caribbean crowd sailors have no idea of the efficacy and no desire
to be completely out of the loop. Nay, they need to be near civilization
so they can Tweet, Facebook, Usenet, email etc. IOW, it's, "HEY
LOOKIT MEEEEEE!" You call THATsailing? OMG, Joshua Slocum
is spinning in his watery grave! The only reason that old gentlman
discussed his sailing is because he needed to earn some cash.
Had he been independently wealthy nobody would have every
heard of him and Rubes like you would be saying. Slocum?
Why, he's no sailor. He never goes anywhere. How droll.

Joshua financed his voyage primarily by advertising in newspapers and
charging people to come aboard the Spray. His book deal was an
integral part of his journey: his publisher had provided Slocum with
an extensive on-board library, and Slocum wrote several letters to his
editor from distant points around the globe and subsequent to the book
being published Slocum sailed the Spray from port to port in the
northeastern US during the summer and the West Indies during the
winter, lecturing and selling books wherever he could.

The pitiful part is that people with smaller boats than you have
sailed around the world. see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h167pT8u_Cg
I met the guy in Phuket and talked with him and he said that (1) he
wanted to sail, and (2) this was all he could afford, so he bought the
boat and went sailing, and ended up sailing around the world.

There is no reason that you couldn't sail your boat, which is even
larger then Carina, the Hungarian's boat.

But you don't go. You argue that you keep all your sailing secret,
clutched tightly to your bosom, but then when you do take a trip
around the bay you publish the account in loving detail. Remember? You
described the trip down the bay, anchor on a mud bank, and back the
next morning. A great voyage, perhaps? Down the bay and back.

As some great man once said, "You have nothing to fear but fear
itself".
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

On 7/23/2013 5:22 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· wrote:
. I can't remember
the last time my cedar bucket broke down. ;-) There's a
lesson in there somewhere, folks simplify, simplify, simplify!

If you mean the toilets from the pre-engine days, it was an 'oaken'
bucket - not cedar.

"slide" wrote in message
On 7/23/2013 5:22 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· wrote:
. I can't remember
the last time my cedar bucket broke down. ;-) There's a
lesson in there somewhere, folks simplify, simplify, simplify!

If you mean the toilets from the pre-engine days, it was an 'oaken' bucket -
not cedar.

A modern cedar bucket is lighter and more pleasing to the eye
than some heavy old oaken bucket that turns almost black with
wind, rain and sun. The cedar bucket is an all around boat
bucket. It may be used for washing laundry, dishes, body sponge
baths, temporary live well, dumping sewage overboard, or
containing it in plastic bags if inshore, scrubbing
the deck, etc. It needs to have a sturdy bail.

--
Sir Gregory

"Bruce in bangkok" wrote in message

But, you wrote above, "real sailors never have the need for a massive
refit", or perhaps you don't consider commercial vessels as being
"read sailors"?

Um, Bruce, please examine the name of the group to which
you post your replies to my valid observations. It is called
rec.boats.cruising is it not? Rec.boats.cruising means
recreational cruising boats and the sailors who operate
them does it not? So why do you insist upon your side-
stepping concerning commercial vessels?

When I say "us real sailors" of course any sensible man
would conclude that the words are used in the context
of the recreational cruising boat world and not the
commercial vessel world. So, if you have a point to make
it would behoove you to not go some fishing expedition
in order to do so.

Ah... now I see. Real sailors are those who make a living from the
business, i.e., "working ships" while "Recreational Sailors", i.e.,
those who play about with the Tupperware toys...

Negative, sarge! As explained above, in the context of a
recreational cruising boat discussion group *real sailors*
means those real recreational sailors who cruise aboard
their boats. OMG, but you seem to have all the logic of
a woman, Bruce. Could it be that you spend too much
time ashore with your wife and concubines?

So, if you are going play about in tiny toys I think that you should
be honest about it and stop referring to yourself as a "Real Sailor".
Perhaps a "recreational sailor" or even a rat, who was quoted as
saying, "Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: messing
--about--in--boats; messing----"

And, I would think you'd have the decency to not attempt
to turn the discussion here in a recreational cruising
group to that of a commercial vessel group and that
you'd not attempt to use definitions that might apply
to a commercial enterprise group here in a recreational
cruising group. But, then again, perhaps you have no
other recourse but subterfuge due to my being correct
and on point?

Trimmed some good stuff about Josiah Slocum
who was a real commercial enterprise sailor as
well as a real recreational cruising boat sailor.

SMACKDOWN on BRUCE

--
Sir Gregory

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:59:41 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Bruce in bangkok" wrote in message
.. .

But, you wrote above, "real sailors never have the need for a massive
refit", or perhaps you don't consider commercial vessels as being
"read sailors"?

Um, Bruce, please examine the name of the group to which
you post your replies to my valid observations. It is called
rec.boats.cruising is it not? Rec.boats.cruising means
recreational cruising boats and the sailors who operate
them does it not? So why do you insist upon your side-
stepping concerning commercial vessels?

I see.... So in the context of rec.boats a "real sailorman" is someone
who sails for fun as apposed to the professional sailor who makes his
living with a boat. Perhaps we should propose two new classifications
for those in boats. Say, "Real (real) Sailorman" and "Real (rec)
Sailorman"?

But while that would differentiate between the people who make their
living with a boat and the dilettantes it says nothing about the
skills and abilities of the dilettantes.... say the difference between
someone squatting on a boat and (for example) my mate Wayne who is
presently about 800 miles east of Bali, his next port of call, on a
single handed trip around the world, so perhaps we need a more finely
tuned description. Say, "Real Sailorman" for the Pros and perhaps
"Real (moored) rec Sailorman and Real (voyaging) (rec) Sailorman.

When I say "us real sailors" of course any sensible man
would conclude that the words are used in the context
of the recreational cruising boat world and not the
commercial vessel world. So, if you have a point to make
it would behoove you to not go some fishing expedition
in order to do so.

I see. In your world a "real" something isn't the real thing, it is
some sort of quasi thing with fewer capabilities than the real, real
thing. so in a slightly different context, a "Real bicycle racer"
isn't a bloke who won the Tour de France. it is a far less qualified
kid on his bike on a Sunday afternoon ride to the malt shop.

Ah... now I see. Real sailors are those who make a living from the
business, i.e., "working ships" while "Recreational Sailors", i.e.,
those who play about with the Tupperware toys...

Negative, sarge! As explained above, in the context of a
recreational cruising boat discussion group *real sailors*
means those real recreational sailors who cruise aboard
their boats.

Oops! You just disqualified yourself from the title of "Real Sailor"
in any context. Or perhaps we can create a third qualification, say
Real (rec) (non sailing) sailorman?