posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Back Underway - the other Virgin Islands

After a week in port at Palmas del Mar Marina and Yacht Club (PDMYC)
waiting for generator parts and repairs, we are once again underway
east bound to the Virgin Islands. PDMYC is an absolutly first class
facility with friendly helpful staff, brand new rugged concrete docks,
reasonable rates, and a host of onsite ammenities like a ship's store,
pool, golf cart service, car rental and tiki bar/restaurant. So
what's not to like? Our only real quibble was something called
surge. The easterly trade winds blow relentlessly this time of year
and it is not uncommon to have 7 and 8 foot surf breaking just outside
the marina channel. This causes a constant low level motion inside
the breakwater which results in rolling and bouncing while you're tied
to the dock. None of this is life threatening although is does cause
a lot of wear and tear on your dock lines, and the motion itself gets
tiresome after a while. We took advantage of our unscheduled downtime
by renting a car and exploring some of the nearby areas like Fajardo
which is a major boating center on the eastern tip of PR.

To make a long story short the generator repairs seem to be totally
successful and we are once again at anchor in a nice location:
Esperanza Harbor on the island of Vieques. Vieques is one of the so
called Spanish Virgin Islands sandwiched in between Puerto Rico and St
Thomas. We'll spend a few more days here exploring the beaches,
coves and towns. Of course we'll also be shaking down the generator
repairs while we're still close enough to Puerto Rico to easily
return. Hopefully that will not be necessary.

After leaving here we will make the 30 mile jump over to St Thomas
which we have never visited on our own boat. From St Thomas it is
another short hop over to Tortola in the British Virgin Islands. It
has been awhile since we spent any time in Tortola so we may be there
for a few days or maybe even more.

"Wayne B" wrote in message
[...]

Another example of how some so-called cruiser's entire life
revolves around generating electricity. Can't go without it
for more than ten minutes, it seems.

--
Sir Gregory

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:10:43 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

Another example of how some so-called cruiser's entire life
revolves around generating electricity. Can't go without it
for more than ten minutes, it seems.

===

After many years of cruising on sailboats with a single 12 volt
battery, it's nice to have enough power for some of the modern
conveniences.

Have you seen the pictures of our 320 amp alternator? You'd need to
carry another outboard just to power that beast. :-)

"Wayne B" wrote in message

[...]

---------------------

Sounds great. We are booked for a week in April in St. Thomas. Flying not
boating in.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:10:43 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Wayne B" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What a remarkably stupid comment. Obviously you are not taking your
own advice, or are you posting with smoke signals?

What was it my Mother used to say? "Stupid is as stupid does?"

--
Cheers,

Bruce
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

åke wrote:

Another example of how some so-called cruiser's entire life
revolves around generating electricity. Can't go without it
for more than ten minutes, it seems.

===

After many years of cruising on sailboats with a single 12 volt
battery, it's nice to have enough power for some of the modern
conveniences.

Have you seen the pictures of our 320 amp alternator? You'd need to
carry another outboard just to power that beast. :-)

You are responding to an armchair sailor who's vast knowledge of
cruising was obtained at anchor.
--
Cheers,

Bruce
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Bruce, Hey bud!

Wayne B too.

Good to see you guys are still around.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 00:25:21 -0600, Richard
wrote:

Bruce, Hey bud!

Wayne B too.

Good to see you guys are still around.

Where have you been? Sailing?

--
Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

Bruce, Hey bud!

Wayne B too.

Good to see you guys are still around.

Where have you been? Sailing?

--
Cheers,

Bruce

Now and then.

No, I just tired of the bickering and wandered off for a while.

Back Underway - the other Virgin Islands Wayne B General 14 February 24th 13 02:39 AM
British Virgin Islands Hurricanes ray nash Cruising 3 October 7th 04 04:09 AM
Virgin Islands to the Acores? Vince LoRusso Cruising 1 May 22nd 04 02:32 PM
us virgin islands Patrik Cruising 0 September 3rd 03 11:42 PM
British Virgin Islands Itinerary? General 4 July 28th 03 07:47 PM