posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Back Underway - the other Virgin Islands

In article ,
says...

After a week in port at Palmas del Mar Marina and Yacht Club (PDMYC)
waiting for generator parts and repairs, we are once again underway
east bound to the Virgin Islands. PDMYC is an absolutly first class
facility with friendly helpful staff, brand new rugged concrete docks,
reasonable rates, and a host of onsite ammenities like a ship's store,
pool, golf cart service, car rental and tiki bar/restaurant. So
what's not to like? Our only real quibble was something called
surge. The easterly trade winds blow relentlessly this time of year
and it is not uncommon to have 7 and 8 foot surf breaking just outside
the marina channel. This causes a constant low level motion inside
the breakwater which results in rolling and bouncing while you're tied
to the dock. None of this is life threatening although is does cause
a lot of wear and tear on your dock lines, and the motion itself gets
tiresome after a while. We took advantage of our unscheduled downtime
by renting a car and exploring some of the nearby areas like Fajardo
which is a major boating center on the eastern tip of PR.

To make a long story short the generator repairs seem to be totally
successful and we are once again at anchor in a nice location:
Esperanza Harbor on the island of Vieques. Vieques is one of the so
called Spanish Virgin Islands sandwiched in between Puerto Rico and St
Thomas. We'll spend a few more days here exploring the beaches,
coves and towns. Of course we'll also be shaking down the generator
repairs while we're still close enough to Puerto Rico to easily
return. Hopefully that will not be necessary.

After leaving here we will make the 30 mile jump over to St Thomas
which we have never visited on our own boat. From St Thomas it is
another short hop over to Tortola in the British Virgin Islands. It
has been awhile since we spent any time in Tortola so we may be there
for a few days or maybe even more.

Is Vieques Island part of Puerto Rico? Sounds like a trip of a lifetime
and you do it all of the time! Very lucky!
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:10:43 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:
"Wayne B" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Another example of how some so-called cruiser's entire life
revolves around generating electricity. Can't go without it
for more than ten minutes, it seems.

What a remarkably stupid comment. Obviously you are not taking your
own advice, or are you posting with smoke signals?

What was it my Mother used to say? "Stupid is as stupid does?"

I happen to be a responsible and environmentally friendly cruiser.

I don't make noise, pollute the air or otherwise impose on fellow
anchored boats selfishly and carelessly generating electricity with
petroleum-based generators. I derive all my electricity needs
from photovoltaics. They are quiet, trouble-free, don't pollute the
air, don't require me to stop for days or weeks in order to get them
repaired because they don't breakdown having no moving parts.

I have four batteries - not one like Wayne intimated. I have 200 watts
of photovoltaics which keeps them charged with no problems running
a laptop and wi-fi connection. Plus, all my other electrical needs such
as running lights, anchor lights, refrigerator on sunny days, radio, GPS,
fans, cabin lights, ElectroScan type I MSD, bilge pump, etc. etc.

I don't feel it is my right to pollute the planet because some coddled
female has to have a freaking electric hair blower/drier, microwave
oven, washer/drier etc. nor do I feel it is any man's right to impose
on anybody else for whatever selfish reason. If you have to have all
the luxuries of home then stay home or stay at a dock and plug into
the grid. I don't appreciate your stench or nose anywhere near me
as it is my god given right to breath fresh air and to enjoy a little
peace and quiet.

--
Sir Gregory

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:43:30 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

I don't feel it is my right to pollute the planet

====

I hear that truck of yours has been known to leak a little oil.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:30:52 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:

Is Vieques Island part of Puerto Rico?

Yes, part of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieques,_Puerto_Rico

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime and you do it all of the time! Very lucky!

I should be so lucky as to do it all the time. :-)

It certainly is the trip of a lifetime however no matter how many
times. If you like boats, beaches and island scenery, this is the
place.

åke wrote:

I don't feel it is my right to pollute the planet

====

I hear that truck of yours has been known to leak a little oil.

I don't own a truck. You must have heard false rumors.

--
Sir Gregory

Back Underway - the other Virgin Islands Wayne B General 14 February 24th 13 02:39 AM
British Virgin Islands Hurricanes ray nash Cruising 3 October 7th 04 04:09 AM
Virgin Islands to the Acores? Vince LoRusso Cruising 1 May 22nd 04 02:32 PM
us virgin islands Patrik Cruising 0 September 3rd 03 11:42 PM
British Virgin Islands Itinerary? General 4 July 28th 03 07:47 PM