Default The real story of the Bounty

It's a long read, but held my interest...

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....html?page=all

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On 12/02/2013 12:34 PM, Flying Pig wrote:
It's a long read, but held my interest...

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....html?page=all

L8R

Skip

Thanks for that. I wonder what the cost of keeping the vessel
where it was for the duration would have been in port fees and
dockage? My bet would be that avoiding the costs would/could
have been a big motivator.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 06:34:37 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

It's a long read, but held my interest...

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....html?page=all

===

It looks like there is a good weather window coming up soon for a
crossing to the Abacos. We are presently hiding out on the south
coast of Puerto Rico waiting for things to lighten up a bit before we
head east to the BVI. In its own way, the south coast of Puerto Rico
is just as scenic as the BVI and prices for fuel, food and dockage are
a lot more reasonable.

"Wayne B" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 06:34:37 -0500, "Flying Pig"

It looks like there is a good weather window coming up soon for a
crossing to the Abacos. We are presently hiding out on the south
coast of Puerto Rico waiting for things to lighten up a bit before we
head east to the BVI. In its own way, the south coast of Puerto Rico
is just as scenic as the BVI and prices for fuel, food and dockage are
a lot more reasonable.

I assume that your comments are about us, not the bounty :{))

If we were going (we're in Lake Worth at the moment), today would be our
day, and our meat. Brisk south winds, only "up to" 6' waves, we'd fly
across.

However, we're shaking out our problems - they crop up at about one
significant, and one minor, problem per day, which is the real purpose of
this activity; if we get into "real" trouble, we're within reach of stuff
being sent or maybe going to West or the like, and TowBoatUS, where we're
full-up again after years of absence (on the same membership number,
interestingly) - and resolving them, one by one, the latest being our
forward bilge pump. The next weather window which doesn't involve motoring
is probably going to be Saturday; we're hoping to hole up in Lake Sylvia for
the expected blow this weekend.

We ARE planning to take the southern route; we'll first go to Ile a Vache,
an island near Haiti, after the Bahamas, and then east along the south
coasts...

Thanks for thinking of us.

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 07:45:43 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

We ARE planning to take the southern route; we'll first go to Ile a Vache,
an island near Haiti

=====

Good luck with that; it is certainly the road less traveled. I'm
sure you are aware that Hati can be a very dangerous place. Our
insurance won't even cover us if we go there, not that I have any real
desire. We actually set foot on mainland Hati back in 2005. The
cruise ship companies have set up sort of a little Potemkin village in
a place called La Badie on the north coast. It's pleasant enough and
we did some kayaking along the shore, never far from armed guards
however. Off in the distance there were barbed wire fences being
patroled by armed guards with dogs, shotguns and assault rifles.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Labadee,+Nord,+Haiti&hl=en&ll=19.784392,-72.245235&spn=0.010782,0.013797&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=36.911991,56.513672&oq=la+badie,+hati& t=h&hnear=Labadee,+Nord,+Haiti&z=16

Today in my mailbox, from a prior rbc denizen:

Links to articles about the sinking of Bounty that ran the past few days
in a marine insurance publication.
Good reading, lots to think about.

http://gcaptain.com/bounty-hearings-...tes-testifies/

http://gcaptain.com/rotted-frames-bounty/

Courtesy of Cavelamb...

L8R

Skip

On 14/02/2013 12:07 PM, Flying Pig wrote:
Today in my mailbox, from a prior rbc denizen:

Links to articles about the sinking of Bounty that ran the past few days
in a marine insurance publication.
Good reading, lots to think about.

http://gcaptain.com/bounty-hearings-...tes-testifies/

http://gcaptain.com/rotted-frames-bounty/

Courtesy of Cavelamb...

L8R

Skip

Hi Skip,
Are you and Lydia up in the northern end of Lake Worth? If
you are, is that dinghy landing by the bridge open again or
did they use bridge repairs as an excuse to shut it off from
access? As an afterthought, if you are up there, it must
have been a bit of a squeeze to get the Flyer over the sandbanks
through the markers.

"injipoint" wrote in message

Hi Skip,
Are you and Lydia up in the northern end of Lake Worth? If
you are, is that dinghy landing by the bridge open again or
did they use bridge repairs as an excuse to shut it off from
access? As an afterthought, if you are up there, it must
have been a bit of a squeeze to get the Flyer over the sandbanks
through the markers.

Hi, all,

I don't know about a dinghy landing - the only time we've been ashore we did
so at the Tiki Hut.

You can see where we are, and for a week backward, at
tinyurl.com/FlyingPigSpot. The moves at the end were to get better water,
avoiding things that go bump in the night (low tide at OhDarkThirty) as was
the case for our two first landings.

We've never been north, other than for the fuel dock right across from
Peanut, on our last visit here. We were going to give Peanut a try today,
but it's raining steadily, which is nice for all the salt, but not much fun
otherwise.

So, I continue with my shakedown squawk list, and will have a log up soon.

L8R

Skip

On 14/02/2013 4:45 PM, Flying Pig wrote:
"injipoint" wrote in message

[...]

OK, I see it now on the Spot thing. We were right up in the top and
were landing at Jack Nicklaus Drive bridge but they were in the
process of shutting off access to that.