Default Gearshift problem on a Yanmar 15 diesel

Twice recently I have had a problem with the gearshift on my elderly (1978) Yanmar diesel (2 cylinder, 15 hp). The shift has jammed in forward gear and the remote control ( a new Teleflex single lever) has been unable to shift it. The throttle part of things works fine when the motor is not in gear but is totally stuck when I put it into gear.
I have unjammed it by pulling and pushing on the short stubby lever which is on the transmission, but I am concerned that this will happen again at the wrong time.
Is it likely to be a lubrication problem ? The remote is very clean and well greased, the cables are quite new, but the stubby lever is the original and is rather close to the bilge water. Does that need a big load of grease?

Thanks for any advice

Richard Isherwood
Port Townsend WA

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:00:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Twice recently I have had a problem with the gearshift on my elderly (1978) Yanmar diesel (2 cylinder, 15 hp). The shift has jammed in forward gear and the remote control ( a new Teleflex single lever) has been unable to shift it. The throttle part of things works fine when the motor is not in gear but is totally stuck when I put it into gear.
I have unjammed it by pulling and pushing on the short stubby lever which is on the transmission, but I am concerned that this will happen again at the wrong time.
Is it likely to be a lubrication problem ? The remote is very clean and well greased, the cables are quite new, but the stubby lever is the original and is rather close to the bilge water. Does that need a big load of grease?

Thanks for any advice

Richard Isherwood
Port Townsend WA

I'd guess that the first step would be to disconnect the shifting
system at the lever on the gear box and check that to see whether it
is jamming. and then manually shift the gear box (with the little
lever on the side of the transmission) and see if that is sticking.

I'm guessing that the connection to one end of the shift cable is
extended out too far, but that is only a guess.

It is been so long since I had a 2 cyl. Yanmar that I've forgotten.
How is the transmission lubricated? If it has its own oil supply then
check that too.

Replacement alternator for Yanmar 1GM diesel? Elias Aarnio General 10 May 27th 08 05:33 AM
Volvo vs Yanmar diesel Cruising 20 August 4th 06 04:31 PM
Yanmar or Isuzu Diesel? Jay Cruising 0 December 18th 04 02:17 AM
need help with Yanmar YSB12 diesel Steve General 2 October 12th 04 02:26 AM
need help with Yanmar YSB12 diesel SAIL LOCO ASA 1 September 14th 04 09:20 AM