Default Ping: Skip

Don't have the thread about your rudder shaft.
Did see this company (Palm Beach) that says
"Seaworthy will restore corroded shafts on both rudders and propeller
shafts which are pitted and causing the seals to leak. Many times,
corroded and pitted shafts can be fixed and give years of good service
after our restoration."
http://www.oceanalloys.com/seaworthy.html

Don't know what process they use, but might be worth calling.

--
Vic

Default Skip

Thanks, Vic,

Inquiry under way; left a message and emailed.

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
Don't have the thread about your rudder shaft.
Did see this company (Palm Beach) that says
"Seaworthy will restore corroded shafts on both rudders and propeller
shafts which are pitted and causing the seals to leak. Many times,
corroded and pitted shafts can be fixed and give years of good service
after our restoration."
http://www.oceanalloys.com/seaworthy.html

Don't know what process they use, but might be worth calling.

--
Vic

Here's his response, and my followup - he's checking with local shops which
MIGHT have a big enough lathe...

Hi, Randy, and thanks for the response and call.

I measured; the largest dimension c/l is about 34".

I'll wait for your followup; thanks again.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

Ah, well...

The largest prop shop in the WPB-MIA area has only an 18" lathe, and mine
is 34" o/c.

Back to plan A, and to Harbor Freight to pick up a cheapie sandblaster for
final cleanup...

Thanks for trying.

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:37:10 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Ah, well...

The largest prop shop in the WPB-MIA area has only an 18" lathe, and mine
is 34" o/c.

Back to plan A, and to Harbor Freight to pick up a cheapie sandblaster for
final cleanup...

Thanks for trying.

I was thinking there might be enough demand to do this type work
on-site. There's quite a bit of portable machining being done.
Probably mostly high-cost for bigger stuff though.
Though I'm not a machinist, it seems a portable grinder on rotating
collars isn't a difficult machine to design.
Pits would be welded up, then the grinder clamped on either side of
the work area and rotated to bring the welding down to the OD.
Anyway, you should do well with your approach.
Mind your packing selection, cutting and stuffing.
I did plenty of packing work in the Navy, but it was all pump/turbine
shafts, and valves, and no pitted shafts or valve stems.
So I can only suggest one more thing.
Good luck!

--
Vic

"WaIIy" wrote in message

There is a method - "Stationary Journal Machining"

Looks like it can be done-

Thanks, Wally,

Inquiries under way.

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

Update...

I'm in the middle of searching and contacting, but mobile machining appears
to be fairly common for some industries.

I'm hopeful of finding one nearby so I can drive it there, or not have weeks
and hundreds of bux tied up on shipping.

The main problem I think I'll find is that this is a tiny job compared to
what the companies who do this sort of thing normally tackle, and not worth
their messing with...

Thanks for thinking outside my box, which I didn't do very well!

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

PING Skip and Lydia KLC Lewis Cruising 10 January 21st 10 03:21 AM
Skip update [email protected] Cruising 0 September 6th 08 11:48 PM
Yo,, Skip .. your off the hook ... NE Sailboat Cruising 2 April 7th 07 03:34 AM