Default Gozilla? No - Godwin

"Godwin event horizon: the point said to have been passed when an online
discussion has become so dominated by emotional exchanges that no
contribution (however sane, authoritative and dispositive) can possibly
restore civilized debate."

Not a lot of that here, lately, for which I'm thankful :{))

L8R

Skip, taking a break from the bolt to paint test for a while

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:53:55 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Skip, taking a break from the bolt

===

I'm trying to remember how you got to this unfortunate state of
affairs with the broken bolt.

You have a skeg hung rudder which needs to be dropped to repair the
shaft and bearing?

The skeg has a bottom plate extending under the rudder, and the broken
bolt attaches the bottom plate to the skeg?

Nothing is ever easy on a boat, especially one which has been aged a
bit.

wrote:

Skip, taking a break from the bolt

===

I'm trying to remember how you got to this unfortunate state of
affairs with the broken bolt.

You have a skeg hung rudder which needs to be dropped to repair the
shaft and bearing?

The skeg has a bottom plate extending under the rudder, and the broken
bolt attaches the bottom plate to the skeg?

Nothing is ever easy on a boat, especially one which has been aged a
bit.

Right on all counts - see "Phew" above :{))

I've just spent the last couple of hours with a magnifying headset, going
through all of my remaining (and spares, of which I found I have a
plethora - just not the ones I broke in this exercise!) bits and with a
borrowed power sharpener, dressing up all of the ones which had ever been
used.

L8R

Skip

wrote:

Skip, taking a break from the bolt

===

I'm trying to remember how you got to this unfortunate state of
affairs with the broken bolt.

You have a skeg hung rudder which needs to be dropped to repair the
shaft and bearing?

The skeg has a bottom plate extending under the rudder, and the broken
bolt attaches the bottom plate to the skeg?

Nothing is ever easy on a boat, especially one which has been aged a
bit.

Right on all counts - see "Phew" above :{))

I've just spent the last couple of hours with a magnifying headset,
going through all of my remaining (and spares, of which I found I have a
plethora - just not the ones I broke in this exercise!) bits and with a
borrowed power sharpener, dressing up all of the ones which had ever
been used.

Skippy, a smart mechanic makes things easy for himself in the future.

Consider through bolting the shoe. Silicone/bronze bolts with nuts. If
you're worried about a little extra turbulence, don't because it's
insignificant compared to dragging a prop and struts through the water.
The thing is ease of future maintenance. Even if a bolt breaks a punch is
all it would take to remove it.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Skippy, a smart mechanic makes things easy for himself in the future.

Consider through bolting the shoe. Silicone/bronze bolts with nuts. If
you're worried about a little extra turbulence, don't because it's
insignificant compared to dragging a prop and struts through the water.
The thing is ease of future maintenance. Even if a bolt breaks a punch is
all it would take to remove it.

Wilbur Hubbard

Actually, the sistership I'd cited in my post on the rudder had
throughbolted - or someone in front of him, and he merely continued the
practice - did his this way in his two rudder drops.

I'd not be so worried about turbulence as I would proper fit. These bolts
(as you may see if you look at my post on the subject) are recessed into
machined bevels. The face of the shoe isn't vertical to the bolt at any one
of the 5, so tightening down on through-bolts would of necessity induce
bends.

And, while I accept the fact that the headless bolt I finally got out has
been that way nearly certainly since it was built 34 years ago, and therefor
water intrusion was not at issue, I'd rather keep it original.

Indeed, as I discovered once I applied the proper force with the proper tool
(large flat-blade square-shanked screwdriver which fit the slot tightly, and
accepted my crescent wrench assistance), after 1/4 turn or less, they were
of no particular effort to back out. So, I don't know that I'd worry about
future ease.

In particular, once I get the shoe off (I want to come up with a heat
source, presuming it's on there with 5200, but then will attack getting it
off), I'll take it off to my favorite machine shop to make sure of proper
alignment of bolt and threaded receiver in the other side of the shoe. In
addition (you may have seen in the pix that one of the bolts' head had been
tapered (sanded down, I expect) due to the shape of the shoe and the
incomplete submersion of the head. However, at least one of the curved-area
head recesses is straight-down recessed from the high point; the angled
receiver in that one is complete, whereas the tapered-headed one was not.
So, I'll have them extend that to complete at the same time.

This would be better discussed in the "What did you do" or the "Phew" thread
:{))

However, thanks for thinking of me in that regard. I HAD considered it, and
until I saw how it was actually accomplished, would have thought that was
what they used, as I'd never actually paid much attention to it, and when I
saw the big circles of filler on both sides, I figured that they were two
sides to the bolts.

I'd never made the connection that one side had 3, and the other only 2!
:{))

L8R

Skip, having just failed with a strap wrench and pipe wrench, to move the
bearing. Cutting next!