Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Gozilla? No - Godwin

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
"Wayne B" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:53:55 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Skip, taking a break from the bolt

===

I'm trying to remember how you got to this unfortunate state of
affairs with the broken bolt.

You have a skeg hung rudder which needs to be dropped to repair the
shaft and bearing?

The skeg has a bottom plate extending under the rudder, and the broken
bolt attaches the bottom plate to the skeg?

Nothing is ever easy on a boat, especially one which has been aged a
bit.

Right on all counts - see "Phew" above :{))

I've just spent the last couple of hours with a magnifying headset,
going through all of my remaining (and spares, of which I found I have a
plethora - just not the ones I broke in this exercise!) bits and with a
borrowed power sharpener, dressing up all of the ones which had ever
been used.

Skippy, a smart mechanic makes things easy for himself in the future.

Consider through bolting the shoe. Silicone/bronze bolts with nuts. If
you're worried about a little extra turbulence, don't because it's
insignificant compared to dragging a prop and struts through the water.
The thing is ease of future maintenance. Even if a bolt breaks a punch is
all it would take to remove it.

Wilbur Hubbard