Default Clamp-on meters

For what it is worth, I was down at the electronics district, in
Bangkok, today, looking for solar panels for a mate and noticed some
Chinese made meters. Had a look and they were selling an AC-DC 400 amp
meter for US$ 25.00. This wasn't by any means the top of their line
but I've got a number of other meters made by this company and while
they are not a Fluke by any means for general work they are
satisfactory.

(and if you drop one over board you don't shed a tear :-)
Cheers,

Bruce
Bil Bil is offline

On Jun 24, 5:42*pm, Bruce wrote:
For what it is worth, I was down at the electronics district, in
Bangkok, today, looking for solar panels for a mate and noticed some
Chinese made meters. Had a look and they were selling an AC-DC 400 amp
meter for US$ 25.00. This wasn't by any means the top of their line
but I've got a number of other meters made by this company and while
they are not a Fluke by any means for general work they are
satisfactory.

Thanks for the heads up!

Care to mention a brand name? I'm not a million miles from you, so I
likely see much the same gear in my local retailers.

I've been v impressed by the pocket size Sanwa PM3 multimeters sold
locally. They're made in Japan and just a tad better than the much
cheaper China-made ones (but I use them too).

On another topic ... in a different forum, you mentioned that you've
made three or more installations of MaxSea v 10 on Win 7 laptops, with
MaxSea running in XP mode..

My trusty Win XP laptop died. So I'm in the process of turning a Win 7
x 64 laptop into the boat's nav center.

So my Q is: when you said 'MaxSea running in XP mode', did you mean
installing MaxSea in a virtual machine (ie using M$ Virtual PC and M$
XP Mode) or installing MaxSea in Win 7 (x86 or x64? SentEmul doesn't
work in x64, but the usual dongle codes etc do work) and then setting
XP mode in the Properties of the executable?

Cheers

Bil
--
Penang, Malaysia

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 17:01:30 -0700 (PDT), Bil
wrote:

On Jun 24, 5:42*pm, Bruce wrote:
[...]

For the meter see http://www.uni-trend.com/portfolio.html
They seem to cover the gamut of meter requirements and are very common
here.

The Maxsea's I installed were on x86 Win 7 and (if I remember
correctly) I installed them and then clicked on the icon and specified
XP immolation. I don't use Maxsea so I installed it more for eye candy
that anything else but it did work using CM-93 charts and displayed
the correct position when connected to a GPS. A good friend does use
Maxsea on a 32 bit Windows laptop and says it works perfectly.

I don't use Windows much any more and have switched to Linux for
everything except the rare app that absolutely won't run on Linux. I
did install Win 7 (32 bit) on my grand daughter's "game" computer and
frankly I don't like it much and have continued to run XP for anything
I use windows for.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bil Bil is offline

On Jun 25, 9:14*am, Bruce wrote:

For the meter seehttp://www.uni-trend.com/portfolio.html
They seem to cover the gamut of meter requirements and are very common
here.

The AC & DC clamp-on meters do look juicy. I'll go look for a UT-202A
or, if available, a UT-204.

Thanks

Bil

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:10:24 -0700 (PDT), Bil
wrote:

On Jun 25, 9:14*am, Bruce wrote:

For the meter seehttp://www.uni-trend.com/portfolio.html
They seem to cover the gamut of meter requirements and are very common
here.

The AC & DC clamp-on meters do look juicy. I'll go look for a UT-202A
or, if available, a UT-204.

Thanks

Bil

The 204 is a RMS (root mean square) meter and probably measures a bit
more accurately and probably is more expensive :-)
Cheers,

Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message

The Maxsea's I installed were on x86 Win 7 and (if I remember
correctly) I installed them and then clicked on the icon and specified
XP immolation.

Boy, that must have burned you up :{))

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 06:55:33 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

The Maxsea's I installed were on x86 Win 7 and (if I remember
correctly) I installed them and then clicked on the icon and specified
XP immolation.

Boy, that must have burned you up :{))

L8R

Skip

Funny.... the spell checker never hiccupped :-)

Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

On Jun 24, 5:42*pm, Bruce wrote:
[...]

Where are you in Penang? Are you permanent there? I've spent so little
time in Penang that I can't find my way around except in Georgetown.
The last time we stopped there for a couple of days on the way from
Singapore to Phuket. Stayed at the new marina next to the ferry
terminal (which a friend says is already beginning to silt up) and
wandered around in town for a bit and took a taxi down to Tesco for
provisions. Perhaps it is just being a tourist but I've always felt
like I was being ripped off every time I took a taxi in Penang :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
Bil Bil is offline

On Jun 25, 9:22*am, Bruce wrote:

Where are you in Penang? Are you permanent there? I've spent so little
time in Penang that I can't find my way around except in Georgetown.
The last time we stopped there for a couple of days on the way from
Singapore to Phuket. Stayed at the new marina next to the ferry
terminal (which a friend says is already beginning to silt up) and
wandered around in town for a bit and took a taxi down to Tesco for
provisions. Perhaps it is just being a tourist but I've always felt
like I was being ripped off every time I took a taxi in Penang :-)

We spend about 6 months each year in Penang. Prefer to avoid George
Town, Batu Ferringhi, the Northern Beaches etc in favour of the
southern part of the island.

The only thing in favour of the Tanjong City marina is its closeness
to George Town and its attractions (Mr Ong's Liangtraco for chemicals,
Chulia Street for most everything, etc).

We spent years using Marina Batu Uban (just S of the bridge, it's the
small marina owned and operated by the Marine Department) as our base.
Compared to the Tanjong City marina, it has a tiny bit more protection
from N-sector squalls. And is subject to less wash from passing
vessels (although I was there when fenders burst on one vessel and two
sailboats entangled masts). But Marina Batu Uban has even fewer
facilities and is a little remote. We also spent a while moored off
the boat yard in the SE corner, the Pen-Marine aka Limbongan Batu
Maung boatyard.

RapidPenang buses, a hired motorcycle or car, make taxis unnecessary.
Taxi drivers are just trying to fill their rice bowls ;-). We use
taxis when we visit Trang, Krung Thep, Hat Yai etc, but if we were
more familiar with those places, we would likely use other options.

Cheers

Bil

,
Cheers,

Bruce

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:22:31 -0700 (PDT), Bil
wrote:

On Jun 25, 9:22*am, Bruce wrote:

[...]

Goodness, another guy that knows about that :-)

We were on the way from Singapore and my wife reckoned that shopping
would be better in Penang then in Langkawi. Coming up the channel we
passed the small anchorage sort of place south of the bridge that had
been recommended to me years ago and of course it was packed so we
proceeded under the bridge and Lo and Behold a nice marina appeared as
we passed the ferry terminal and SHWBO decided it would be a good
place to stop, and after I had elected to go to the"Yacht Club" in
Port Klang (A filthy place, that) rather then anchor in the small
craft anchorage I had to agree :-)

[...]

Bangkok is easy these days. Take the underground or the sky train and
get close and then taxi.

Cheers,

Bruce

Mo' betta' hose clamp JimH General 0 August 26th 07 02:33 AM
Clamp-on ammeters Marc Electronics 6 November 22nd 05 03:28 AM
Wh invented the hose clamp? Lloyd Sumpter General 39 February 23rd 04 03:45 PM
Clamp on hydrofoil??? RG General 1 January 28th 04 02:25 PM