posted to rec.boats.electronics
Marc

Default Clamp-on ammeters

I'm looking to pick up a clamp-on ammeter/ multitester. Are these
clamp-on ammeters AC or DC specific of do they read amps universal.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
GregS

In article , Marc wrote:
I'm looking to pick up a clamp-on ammeter/ multitester. Are these
clamp-on ammeters AC or DC specific of do they read amps universal.

AC is the most common. DC is very uncommon.

greg

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Matt Colie

Marc,

Most DC clamp on current probes or meters will read either AC or DC.

If it does not say DC, there is little chance that it does.

You can get a very functional AC unit for less the 100$us.
You better be ready to shell out 300$us for a DC/AC probe or unit.

If you do not need accuracy, look up a KD tools 2423 They go in the
10-20$us range and are better than a guess.

Matt Colie

Marc wrote:
I'm looking to pick up a clamp-on ammeter/ multitester. Are these
clamp-on ammeters AC or DC specific of do they read amps universal.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Marc wrote:
I'm looking to pick up a clamp-on ammeter/ multitester. Are these
clamp-on ammeters AC or DC specific of do they read amps universal.

Marc, the more important question is what are you going to use the meter
to measure.

Some DC clamp meters have a minimum resolution of 100 mA, which is not
always good enough.

On the other hand, if you are trying to measure starting current on a
500 hp diesel, you need a meter with a top range of several hundred amperes.

Recently, AC/DC clamp meters have become more common and prices have
dropped somewhat. Take a look at the Extech MA220 (not the MA200, which
is AC only). These have 10 mA DC resolution, measure up to 400 ADC, and
sell for around $79. They also measure resistance, temperature, duty
cycle, and AC/DC voltage.

Good luck,

Chuck

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:57:36 -0500, Marc wrote:

I'm looking to pick up a clamp-on ammeter/ multitester. Are these
clamp-on ammeters AC or DC specific of do they read amps universal.

I picked up a pretty nice one about 2 years ago at Sears. AC and
DC current off the clamp, with all the usual stuff plus a temperature
probe. Under $100 and it's extrememly useful. Goes through batteries
like crazy, though.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
posted to rec.boats.electronics
David&Joan

Marc:

AC and DC clamp on ammeters use entirely different electrical mechanisms. AC
meters measure the current induced from the wire to the surrounding clamp on
coil. DC meters use a physics principle called the Hall Effect. Some meters
like mine use both.

I have a AC/DC clamp on ammeter sold by Ancor (but probably made by Fluke).
It measures AC and DC current in two ranges: 0-200 amps and 0-40 amps. The
lower range is good for a tenth of an amp real world resolution.

Since we mostly live in a DC world, this meter is the best troubleshooting
device a boater can have. I paid about $200 for mine and couldn't live
without it.

David