Default Charts on SD card???

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 08:13:55 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

I have a couple of Secure Digital charts on the little SD chips for my
Lowrance hand-held GPS. I thought I'd be clever and make a back-up in case I
lost the original or it got corrupted or something.

So I copied the original to the new, blank SD card using my laptop which has
the port for various cards including the tiny SD card and it copied
successfully according to the laptop and Windows Explorer shows the proper
files and size copied but it doesn't work in the GPS. I Googled it and found
out that somehow the files won't open on any SD card but the original
because it's somehow coded to decrypt only in the presence of the hardware
ID of the original card.

So the question is this: Does anybody know of a way to reprogram a blank SD
card's ID so it matches that of the ID of a digital chart SD card? I think
they call this a 'crack?'

One ought to be able to make a backup copy of software he has bought and is
licensed to use . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

If you use Unix or Linux there is an application called "dd" which is
said to be able to make a byte by byte copy of an disk, directory,
file, whatever. It might work.

Cheers,

Bruce

Charts on SD card??? Harryk Cruising 0 June 3rd 11 01:38 PM
Free NOAA ENC Charts vs. Free Maptech Charts cvj Cruising 5 December 20th 05 05:31 PM