Default How is that Tohatsu workign out

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 12:56:05 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Sounds good to me and I'm really looking forward to lowering the noise in
the cockpit. We don't have far to motor from the dock to our sailing
grounds but talking over the 2 stroke at all still sucks.

Yes, lower sound level is a big plus. I'd suggest checking the prop
pitch that comes with the motor. Most are pitched too high for slow
speed sailboat usage. A lower pitch will get you operating further
up on the torque curve and will make your engine happier over the long
run.

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
snip

While the thru-the-propeller exhaust helps keep noise down, it really
ruins
reverse thrust!

If somebody needs reverse thrust they're not much of a sailboat operator.
You can't stop a 4-ton sailboat with a little reverse thrust from a six HP
motor in anything less than about fifty feet if the boat is traveling about
three knots. A good sailor allows his forward motion, leeway etc. to come to
a stop at the same point it arrives at a solid object. He does this without
the assistance of a motor.

I just laugh so hard I almost wet myself when I see any boat approach a dock
at about five knots, then throw it in reverse and max throttle the thing to
a stop. Ludicrous! An accident waiting to happen and a very lubberly thing
to do.

Wilbur Hubbard

news
wrote:

Sounds good to me and I'm really looking forward to lowering the noise
in
the cockpit. We don't have far to motor from the dock to our sailing
grounds but talking over the 2 stroke at all still sucks.

Yes, lower sound level is a big plus. I'd suggest checking the prop
pitch that comes with the motor. Most are pitched too high for slow
speed sailboat usage. A lower pitch will get you operating further
up on the torque curve and will make your engine happier over the long
run.

The prop for the Sail Pro is 8.375" Dia. X 6.0" Pitch High-Thrust 3-Blade

The prop for the Standard model is 7.7" Dia. X 8.0" Pitch 3-Blade Aluminum

The Sail Pro seems propped just about right to me.

Wilbur Hubbard

Nissan/Tohatsu 18 hp motor Jean Alexander Electronics 2 March 10th 07 04:30 PM
Nissan/Tohatsu dependability? [email protected] General 7 March 10th 06 10:01 PM
Metal propellers for Tohatsu? William Dampier ASA 1 April 22nd 05 06:10 PM
Piston in Tohatsu Vesa Helanti General 3 February 20th 05 06:42 AM
Tohatsu - 9.8 Horsepower RD Cruising 4 August 4th 03 02:30 PM