mmc mmc is offline

Default How is that Tohatsu workign out

Wilbur?
I'm thinking of upgrading from my 90's 6hp Johnson for a 4 stroke and the
6hp Sailpro from Defender is $1299. This is a great price compared to the
other manufacturers so just wondering how you like yours?

"MMC" wrote in message
ng.com...
Wilbur?
I'm thinking of upgrading from my 90's 6hp Johnson for a 4 stroke and the
6hp Sailpro from Defender is $1299. This is a great price compared to the
other manufacturers so just wondering how you like yours?

That IS a great price. My source is selling them at $1430 with free
shipping. If you pay shipping from Defender the cost might be 80 bucks or so
depending where you live.

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohat...p-MFS6BUL.html

The motor is working out great for me. I think it's finally broken in and it
has lots of power for its size. I'm quite impressed. I can't believe the gas
mileage. It's work just trying to burn through the 3.5 gallon tank. It seems
to last forever. But, I motor less than most people so that might have
something to do with it. Most recently I motored for about two hours getting
from bayside to oceanside through the creek and under the bascule bridge to
the yard. It was full when I started and above 3/4 tank when I finished.

It starts very easy and it idles smoothly and the complaint about the
steering damper not holding it in place seems not to apply to mine. It stays
pretty much where I put it using the knob-type steering detent on the rear
of the motor and it's not even screwed down very hard. It's about as quiet
as the Honda 9.9 was but not quite as smooth being a single cylinder job.
But, it's not a noisy vibration machine either. At about half to 3/4
throttle it pushes my 27-footer at 5-6 knots in smooth water. Haven't tried
it in any kind of a steep chop but it will probably be adequate to get in
and out of channels that present a direct headwind that one cannot sail in.

I'd say, go for it.

Wilbur Hubbard

mmc mmc is offline

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"MMC" wrote in message
[...]

=====
Thanks Wilbur.
Is there any problem with keeping these (I don't know 4 strokes) motors
tilted out of the water when not in use? Particularly with the oil being in
a pan? My Morgan has a cut out in the center of the transom for the outboard
like the second pic in this ad:
http://www.sailingtexas.com/smorgan25101.html

On 02/01/2011 03:00, MMC wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

It starts very easy and it idles smoothly and the complaint about the
steering damper not holding it in place seems not to apply to mine. It
stays
pretty much where I put it using the knob-type steering detent on the rear
of the motor and it's not even screwed down very hard.

The steering damper looks like this:
http://www.wareing77.plus.com/images/IMGP0229.JPG
It works in a similar way to a hose clip. A stainlees steel band is
tensioned around a shaft by tightening up on the threaded part while the
other end is a tab located in a slot in the casting, next to the screw
hole. In my case the thread bottomed out before it was tight enough to
avoid creaping when idling. Possible causes are too much grease. band
too long compared to the circumference of the shaft, or overtightening
by myself. I have just bent the tab a little and it seems to have improved..

Wilbur Hubbard
=====
Thanks Wilbur.
Is there any problem with keeping these (I don't know 4 strokes) motors
tilted out of the water when not in use? Particularly with the oil being
in a pan? My Morgan has a cut out in the center of the transom for the
outboard like the second pic in this ad:
http://www.sailingtexas.com/smorgan25101.html

When stored horizontal you are supposed to turn it so the gear lever is
uppermost, it does not say why. Probably not an issue when just tilted
on the boat.

g.com...

"MMC" wrote in message
[...]

That's the same arrangement my Coronado 27 has. The motor tilts up plenty
far enough to keep the foot/prop well out of the water. I think I've got
about six inches between the lowest part of the skeg and the water. Don't
worry about the oil. I think it uses a dry sump system and only uses half a
quart and no oil comes out anywhere when fully tilted up.

It even has an small charging coil/rectifier that puts out five or six amps
at 12vdc for running lights and/or minimal battery charging. I didn't hook
up my wires because I use photovoltaics but at least that option is
available.

You're gonna love the four-stroke. It doesn't smoke and it's so nice to use
gasoline without oil mixed. I've been using mid-grade fuel, btw.

Wilbur Hubbard

"goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/01/2011 03:00, MMC wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the revealing photo. I think your 'too much grease' hypothesis is
probably spot on. For that very reason I did not grease my zerk fittings at
all believing they probably put what was needed in at the factory. Seems to
me no grease at all around the circumference of the detent sleeve would be
the best way to maintain the adequate friction so it didn't twist on its
own.

--
Gregory Hall

On 02/01/2011 17:11, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
w wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/01/2011 03:00, MMC wrote:

[...]

I have not greased it myself yet. I'm not sure I like the idea of dry
stainless
on aluminium with salt around, but I might use silcone oil and put some
grooves in the band to reduce the Hydrodynamic Pressure(tm).

mmc mmc is offline

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

g.com...

"MMC" wrote in message
[...]

======
Sounds good to me and I'm really looking forward to lowering the noise in
the cockpit. We don't have far to motor from the dock to our sailing grounds
but talking over the 2 stroke at all still sucks.
Thanks again.

"MMC" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

g.com...

"MMC" wrote in message
[...]

If you're in no hurry and run it between 1/4 to 1/2 throttle you'll barely
hear it. It just puts along. Above half throttle it starts getting more air
intake noise than exhaust noise as it is a thru-propeller exhaust.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"MMC" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

g.com...

"MMC" wrote in message
[...]

While the thru-the-propeller exhaust helps keep noise down, it really ruins
reverse thrust!

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Nissan/Tohatsu 18 hp motor Jean Alexander Electronics 2 March 10th 07 04:30 PM
Nissan/Tohatsu dependability? [email protected] General 7 March 10th 06 10:01 PM
Metal propellers for Tohatsu? William Dampier ASA 1 April 22nd 05 06:10 PM
Piston in Tohatsu Vesa Helanti General 3 February 20th 05 06:42 AM
Tohatsu - 9.8 Horsepower RD Cruising 4 August 4th 03 02:30 PM