Default Characters in rbc and MS junk (totally non-cruising, other than whether there's bandwidth on the high seas)

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Flying Pig" wrote in message

I'm sitting here in my yacht (74.1F inside, 78.6F outside) trying to
figure
out your thinking process (or lack thereof), Skippy.

It almost appears dysfunctional. Why, when working on a computer that
contains a program (charmap.exe) that you can run by typing it into the
run
menu or from the start menu or even create a shortcut for the desktop or
the
task bar, would anybody want a sheet of printed paper with the alt codes
on
it?

Open charmap.exe and select any character and it will give the alt code
and
other information. Select copy and the character(s) goes to the clip board
hit control + v to insert the special character(s) in the text you are
working on.

Do you ALWAYS do things the hard way?

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks to all my supporters and Wilbur bashers.

As to the bashers, if I were using it all the time, his suggestion would
make sense. Despite his being a know-it-all, and his presentation sometimes
being entirely too snarky, Wilbur does come up with useful information while
he's ridiculing me from time to time, as well as, when asked a direct
question, usually having on-point info to share. My lack of "HEY!" or
"Ouch!" to his and other bashers has been known to confound them, as noted
herein before :{)) So, they get off on needling, and I get off on
deflection :{))

Back to the story, being a primarily ELSpeaker/Writer, however, it's not
worth putting an icon on the quicklaunch bar which is already very crowded.
For the very few times I'd need to refer to it (I already have the very
common é memorized, and now the ç as well), I'd rather not have to navigate
several layers deep into 'doze.

Their (MS) practice of burying stuff way down in a tree, worse, sometimes
with no logic behind it, drives me batty. I've moved, for example, the very
obscure place OExpress keeps my mail into a root directory, the easier to
back it up, which I do often. Lately, as an aside, when I compacted my
folders, inexplicably, OE dumped everything in my primary folder after
6-21-10. Fortunately, the last backup I'd done was only missing 30 days.

No problem - go into Gmail, retrieve the last month from the trash and
fiddle with the settings, and pull down the mail. Wouldncha know, it pulls
everything EXCEPT that month. Hm. Ok, dig around and find out there's a
setting to bring only recent mail. No such luck. Go to Lydia's LT and set
up Windoze Mail, which I learn is very different from OExpress in how it
treats mail, but it does, in fact, retrieve the missing mails I've now got
in the web version.

Great, I'll put that file on a stick and bring it to my machine. Nice try,
as it's all individual files, not the database which OE uses (which would
probably have prevented the type of loss I had, as there's no database
compression to remove empty space this way - just a file is or isn't in the
folder), and my OE can't import it. HoKaaay, I'll take all the mails in the
newly created inbox on Lydia's machine, select all, and forward them from
"her" (her mailbox) to "me" (a new file appears in my web box, and OE pulls
it down).

So far, so good - but "save as" delivers a blank. However, "put a copy in
(folder)" works, and I'm back up and running.

Long way around to what should be a simple problem, but it got done. As my
son, who has written the most popular app for Chrome (AdBlock), is a
Google/GMail legend, couldn't solve the problem (simply), my lengthy
workaround was the only solution. So (there IS a point in here), yes,
sometimes I do take the long way around :{))

So, thanks for the individual emails, and links. The next time I have to
spell Quebeçois I won't have to go fetch it out :{))

L8R

Skip, about to move from Kidd Cove to Hamburger Beach for a change of scene

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

Irony on the high seas... Tom Francis - SWSports General 7 May 7th 09 02:25 PM
Murder on the High Seas mmc Cruising 5 April 16th 09 06:16 PM
Murder on the High Seas Sal Monella Cruising 0 April 14th 09 01:48 AM
Murder on the High Seas - not Marc Heusser[_2_] Cruising 1 April 13th 09 07:18 PM
Tsunami Impacts on High Seas Cruising Boats Art Mosher Cruising 22 January 2nd 05 01:32 AM