Default Georgetown and cruisers (was) Rock Sound, Eleuthera to Georgetown, Exuma

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Good Grief! It sounds to me that George Town is now officially a good
place for cruisers to avoid. Who needs all the bureaucratic crap
administered by

There are mutterings to that effect among the cruisers here...

elitist amateurs who seem to think because they've vegetated there longer
than most that they have the right or duty to control the actions of
others?

Not me, for sure. No freaking way, mon!

(See below for expansion on this)

No discharge zone, indeed. Just where does everybody think all the shore
side effluent ends up? Exactly! In the harbor. Sure, some of it might pass
through the occasional working septic tank (many are probably not working
because of old age, salt water intrusion, etc.). At least the fish, snails
and crustaceans can eat fresh turds from boats. Septic tank effluent is
poison in comparison. Why is it that landlubbers are such hypocrites? They
sit on their thrones flushing their crap into the harbor and look down
their noses at somebody else doing the same thing.

I wonder where the pump-out boat discharges its contents, btw? Outside the
harbor? Probably. I doubt all of George Town has anything that resembles a
working sewage treatment plant.

Actually, they do have one, for the Sandals resort attached to Emerald Bay
Marina. That's where it is taken currently, or by truck if the weather's
impossible.

The mooring and pumpout issue started as a result of a demonstration project
with the Bahamian government, primarily to achieve a treatment plant near
GT. Once that's built, the pumpout will use it...

It would serve George Town right if all the cruisers went elsewhere. Would
probably cut the settlement income in half or more. Are they so stupid
that they will bite the hand that feeds them? Elizabeth Harbor is large
and well circulated being open at either end. It would take several
thousands of cruisers dumping sewage overboard year in and year out to
degrade the water quality in that harbor. What's them max there in season?
Three hundred? Four hundred?

Max in good times has been over 500. Last and prior years were high 2 and
low 300s, respectively. However, that concentration is very brief. After
Regatta, folks start leaving, and after the Family Island Regatta, it's
nearly empty. In June, you're likely to be the only boat in sight. When we
arrived (where this thread started) there were less than 30 boats in the
entire area. It's up to about 50 now, but the crowds will begin after
Christmas.

A very significant portion of the "season" boats is Montreal and other
Quebecois (how do you do a c-cedilla in text?), who have to return to keep
their medical coverage in Canada; they have their own clique, and are a
significant portion of the HNazis.

On which subject, it was because of one of the same who stormed the
immigration office here, demanding (rather than politely working with them)
something WRT visa extension. That got the official person there angry
enough that she dug out the regs (vs the generally accommodating nature of
handling visa stuff).

Turns out that the regs call for no more than a 90 day stay without someone
leaving the country. [Practice had been to give sailboats 180 days, with up
to another couple of months (no more than 8, we discovered to our horror) by
stopping into an immigration office being routine. Those arriving by plane
were given up to 90 days, same downstream instructions by the immi guy/gal
at the airport.]

As a result of that brouhaha, word got back to Nassau, and, at the moment,
arriving criusers and deplaners are given no more than 30 days, ditto on
renewal, and will be required to leave in 90 to remain in compliance.

General guessing on that is that it won't last, as that will drive all the
cruisers off (for the entire Bahamas, not just GT), by default, and sooner
or later, the officials will come to the conclusion that it's a bad
decision. But, the way things work here, it won't be a quick change, so it
may not happen in time for all the many folks here and arriving, as many
stay (ordinarily) for well beyond 90 days even if they're "commuters" - let
alone full-timers who are spending an extended time in the Bahamas, such as
we.

It sounds like the anchor/control thing only has to do with radio
transmission and not anchoring restrictions as I had thought. It's bad
enough that harbor KKKops feel the need to regulate radio transmissions
but regulating when and where people can anchor is even worse. Glad that's
not the case. I rarely use the VHF anyhow and if some harbor KKKop doesn't
like how I use my VHF then they can go f**k themselves.

Bottom line is: Just where is the real cruising sailor these days? What
kind of loser pretends to be a live aboard cruiser but insists upon
treading with his Nazi jackboots on the freedoms of others and into
everybody else's business enforcing petty bureaucratic nonsense the likes
of which we real cruisers gladly left behind when we divested ourselves of
the lubberly life?

Well, generally speaking, it's NOT the full-timers. It's the commuters.
There are plenty of Statesiders who do the same routine, though not for
medical reasons.

As you well know, there is so much to love, see and do in the Bahamas that
coming here in the cold months, and heading back to the states for the warm
ones, forever, is a viable option if you don't have wanderlust.

Full-timers like us (and many others here at this time, of course) tend to
be a great deal more independent, not to mention tolerant. Why those who
come only during the high season feel they can dictate to others is beyond
me, and, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, causing many to rethink the
Georgetown experience.

Aside from the "Daycamp for Seniors" activities which are impossible to
support without a crowd, there is every bit of what is great about
Georgetown available when it's just you and a few other boats. As commented
upon in other threads' observations about our habits, we much prefer to be
where there aren't a lot of folks, anyway, so that if we have to run the
Honda occasionally, nobody hears us - and, we can dispense with clothing,
saving on laundry, to boot :{))

Of course, right now isn't the time for that, as it's so damn cold at the
moment that I finally surrendered and put on jeans, then a sweater, then a
jacket last night. We're thankful that the high will be in the 70s today,
but sad that the wind won't be there to twirl our KISS!

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand."
(Richard Bach, in "Illusions of a Reluctant Messiah"

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Good Grief! It sounds to me that George Town is now officially a good
place for cruisers to avoid. Who needs all the bureaucratic crap
administered by

There are mutterings to that effect among the cruisers here...

I enjoyed George Town when I was there years ago but that was when there
were only a hundred or so boats in season. I guess like most places nice the
word gets around, the crowds of pretenders arrive and things go all to hell.

[...]

That's better than I thought. I wonder what they do with the treated
effluent? Deep well injection or outflowed into the ocean....

Oh, that reminds me of something. Just about every settlement has a de-sal
plant using reverse osmosis. I wonder where the brine ends up? The point
being once they start down this silly 'green' road where does it stop? Brine
is even more deadly to sealife than freshly-bucketed human waste.

[...]

Too many folks. I'll remember to avoid the place unless in the off-season.
Marsh Harbor sounds like a better option for a cruising base to me.

A very significant portion of the "season" boats is Montreal and other
Quebecois (how do you do a c-cedilla in text?), who have to return to keep
their medical coverage in Canada; they have their own clique, and are a
significant portion of the HNazis.

Quebeçois. Use Character Map under System Tools on the start menu. The
Canadian invade the Miami area quite heavily - and I do mean heavily as in
weight - every winter. They are notoriously known as cheapskate tippers.

On which subject, it was because of one of the same who stormed the
immigration office here, demanding (rather than politely working with
them) something WRT visa extension. That got the official person there
angry enough that she dug out the regs (vs the generally accommodating
nature of handling visa stuff).

Turns out that the regs call for no more than a 90 day stay without
someone leaving the country. [Practice had been to give sailboats 180
days, with up to another couple of months (no more than 8, we discovered
to our horror) by stopping into an immigration office being routine.
Those arriving by plane were given up to 90 days, same downstream
instructions by the immi guy/gal at the airport.]

Wrong! The cruising permit is for 180 days with an option to renew for
another 180 days before having to leave the country for ONE DAY before
returning. The 90 day stay limit is for other tourists who did not arrive on
boats with a valid cruising permit.

As a result of that brouhaha, word got back to Nassau, and, at the moment,
arriving criusers and deplaners are given no more than 30 days, ditto on
renewal, and will be required to leave in 90 to remain in compliance.

Correct for those arriving on airplanes. Incorrect for those arriving on
boats with valid cruising permit.

General guessing on that is that it won't last, as that will drive all the
cruisers off (for the entire Bahamas, not just GT), by default, and sooner
or later, the officials will come to the conclusion that it's a bad
decision. But, the way things work here, it won't be a quick change, so it
may not happen in time for all the many folks here and arriving, as many
stay (ordinarily) for well beyond 90 days even if they're "commuters" -
let alone full-timers who are spending an extended time in the Bahamas,
such as we.

It won't last because it's in incorrect interpretation of Bahamas customs
and immigration law.

[...]

So it's the pretenders who are trying to be the controllers. Sad. Typical
condo commandos.

[...]

Kiss is the most noisy and shoddily-built of all the wind generators - shame
on you. When it wears out in the very near future consider getting two of
these.

http://www.marlec.co.uk/products/win...3-windcharger/

They are very kind to your neighbors. It's freezing cold here in the Keys,
too. Been in the forties the last two nights but it's supposed to warm up
10-20 degrees in the next couple days but another cold front on the way
Sunday or Monday. The water's already down around fifty degrees.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:37:22 -0500, WaIIy wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:36:43 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Quebecois (how do you do a c-cedilla in text?

Use the alt codes

Quebeçois (Alt-0231)

Check out Character Map

¿ ç Æ

Interesting, learn something new every day, must use the numeric key
pad however.

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html

Thanks.

wrote:

Quebecois (how do you do a c-cedilla in text?

Use the alt codes

Quebeçois (Alt-0231)

Somewhere I may have a character map. I've used the é alt-0233 often enough
that I remember it. Likely, since it's so close, I'll remember the ç :{))

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
I wonder where the pump-out boat discharges its contents, btw? Outside
the
harbor? Probably. I doubt all of George Town has anything that resembles
working sewage treatment plant.

Actually, they do have one, for the Sandals resort attached to Emerald
Bay
Marina. That's where it is taken currently, or by truck if the weather's
impossible.

The mooring and pumpout issue started as a result of a demonstration
project
with the Bahamian government, primarily to achieve a treatment plant near
GT. Once that's built, the pumpout will use it...

That's better than I thought. I wonder what they do with the treated
effluent? Deep well injection or outflowed into the ocean....

That's a good question. Perhaps I'll take that up with the minister of
tourism office tomorrow.

Oh, that reminds me of something. Just about every settlement has a de-sal
plant using reverse osmosis. I wonder where the brine ends up? The point
being once they start down this silly 'green' road where does it stop?
Brine is even more deadly to sealife than freshly-bucketed human waste.

Most of the islands' supply is well water, very hard, of course, due to the
limestone. In Abaco, it's also got a very high sodium content.

Exuma Markets has its own RO which it provides for free to the cruisers at
the dinghy dock, and for their own use. I imagine ice plants and the like do
as well, or run the well water through an RO. A fellow cruiser measured the
Abaco water, and found it to have 600ppm, well under the potable standard of
1000. Running it through his RO system produced a count of 200, very close
to distilled water!

So, well water is fine in the Bahamas. I expect the brine remainder
(recall the huge amounts of salt water processed to yield a gallon of pure
water) isn't of any effect other than on concentrated small bodies of water,
and with major plants' production of RO. As that would be a diminishing
return for plants, I doubt they'd use such ponds for the source...

It would serve George Town right if all the cruisers went elsewhere.

They're very well aware. I just returned from the tree-lighting ceremony,
and the MC mentioned "tourists" frequently, thanking them for being there,
and noting, several times, that without us, they'd be in a world of hurt.
Just before the end of the show (a very long, umpteen-acts event), I was
called up on stage as being a "bold visitor" - having taken the initiative
to walk backstage and tell the MC that the front of the stage had no
lighting and if they wanted to be seen, they had to stay behind the line of
the original square shape, which they did. He asked, and I told him, that
this was my third time to GT, and loved it. The crowd broke into
applause...

The locals "get it" - whether the government will wake up quickly enough to
prevent a "Bah, Humbug!" from the cruisers has yet to be seen. Yet, recall
the brouhaha which developed, and the threatened boycott which was produced,
when they went to the current boat fees. We're all still here. Maybe the
daytrippers stayed home, but I expect that those were not the source of a
lot of income locally, anyway...

As to being a "bold" visitor, we make it a point to get involved wherever we
go. I joined the choir on a moment's notice on Saturday for the town's
ecumenical production Sunday night, and will go to the choir rehearsal
tomorrow PM, having already sung in the choir in the morning service
(without rehearsal, yet, as I can read, and hit the note I see). Other
activities in other towns, too - and the locals very much appreciate it, as
deduced from those who take the time to thank me in terms of their pleasure
at my involvement in the community...

I try to leave a clean wake, so to speak, and get a great deal more out of
our cruising by integration into the local enviroment as much as possible...

Max in good times has been over 500. Last and prior years were high 2 and
low 300s, respectively. However, that concentration is very brief. After
Regatta, folks start leaving, and after the Family Island Regatta, it's
nearly empty. In June, you're likely to be the only boat in sight. When
we arrived (where this thread started) there were less than 30 boats in
the entire area. It's up to about 50 now, but the crowds will begin
after Christmas.

Too many folks. I'll remember to avoid the place unless in the off-season.
Marsh Harbor sounds like a better option for a cruising base to me.

We found it wonderful. Dozens of diving locations in a day-sail away, many
interesting places to visit, likewise, and hurricane holes that even our 7'
draft could get into. That's where we'll be this coming hurricane season
before we finally get to go south. We had no problems with bugs or heat,
only using a fan a few nights. We like it a lot...

[...]

Close, but no cigar. Cruising permit has 6 months printed but is crossed
out without asking, and 12 written over it, both on my 2originals and the
recent renewal of the second. There is a "free" in/out if you do it within
90 days.

The VISA is the issue. Boat permits are still a year, but visas are very
short, now, just in the last few weeks, perhaps days. ALL the recent
arrivals tell the same story, regardless of which port they cleared in at.

As a result of that brouhaha, word got back to Nassau, and, at the
moment, arriving criusers and deplaners are given no more than 30 days,
ditto on renewal, and will be required to leave in 90 to remain in
compliance.

Correct for those arriving on airplanes. Incorrect for those arriving on
boats with valid cruising permit.

See above. You used to be granted as much as 90 days on the plane. Not
now. You used to be granted (up to) 180 days on a sailboat checkin. Not
now.

General guessing on that is that it won't last, as that will drive all
the cruisers off (for the entire Bahamas, not just GT), by default, and
sooner or later, the officials will come to the conclusion that it's a
bad decision. But, the way things work here, it won't be a quick change,
so it may not happen in time for all the many folks here and arriving, as
many stay (ordinarily) for well beyond 90 days even if they're
"commuters" - let alone full-timers who are spending an extended time in
the Bahamas, such as we.

It won't last because it's in incorrect interpretation of Bahamas customs
and immigration law.

Actually, unless you can provide the cite, I'd bet it's the PROPER
interpretation, but everyone in Immigration was previously advised to ignore
it within expanded parameters. It will probably take an act of Parliament
to rectify what some asshole Canuck caused, here in this very location. How
long that takes will remain to be seen. In the meantime, every single
recent arrival is wondering how they'll deal with it, very soon...

(clippage)
We're thankful that the high will be in the 70s today, but sad that the
wind won't be there to twirl our KISS!

Kiss is the most noisy and shoddily-built of all the wind generators -
shame on you. When it wears out in the very near future consider getting
two of these.

Nice try. It's all in the balancing. Ours makes the softest whiiisssshhhh
other than in a gale. As to their wearing out, not only don't they do that,
but if it did, it would be a bearing or a seal, both a NAPA or other parts
store standard part. If the electronics break down, same deal. No brushes,
only one moving part (if you disregard bearings)...

http://www.marlec.co.uk/products/win...3-windcharger/

They are very kind to your neighbors. It's freezing cold here in the Keys,
too. Been in the forties the last two nights but it's supposed to warm up
10-20 degrees in the next couple days but another cold front on the way
Sunday or Monday. The water's already down around fifty degrees.

I have nothing against the rutland, as I don't own one and our practice is
not to be near anyone else, anyway, so if one were noisy, I'd not hear it.
By the time ours gets noisy enough to hear more than 10 feet away, it's so
noisy from the wind you'd not hear it or any other wind gen, either. OTOH,
if I were going to do something different, likely it would be the D400, a
500 watt unit vs the Rutland's only 250 watts - and that requires 38 knots!!
Both (or neither, depending on how you look at it) aren't suited to owner
repair, however, one of the reasons I chose the KISS. Likewise vis-a-vis
rutland, ours will do the trickle charge bit at 5 knots, but in 10 knots
we're seeing about 7 amps, and at 19, about 20. At 25 knots, we're seeing
25-30A, it's sweet spot... As to the Rutland itself, you should have read
the article they trumpeted. "Low Power" was the class they dominated, with
their "Mid Power" one generating half or less than higher performing units.
Note also that noise wasn't tested, and KISS wasn't, either.

Go see Practical Sailor's reports for more definition on noisy and power
output (http://www.naviclub.ca/Test_comparat...es_marine.pdf).
Quiet, yes, but probably because it can't make any power. From that
article: "The Rutland 913 finsished next to last on every day except when
the wind was light on Day 3, when it was last by a half amp to Superwind."
Sorry to upset your applecart :{))

Water here's still in the mid-70s, fine for swimming, but I'll sorely miss
my wetsuit when I clean the bottom again. That's the one gripe I have about
Marsh Harbour - horrible growth. Here in GT, once I've got it clean, it
will stay that way. Our prior visits have had no growth in months at a
time...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Thanks - I found it.

What I really need is a sheet showing the shortcuts (alt-whatever4digits),
as it's a bit of a wander to get to that map to click :{))

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:53:04 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Thanks.

. ..
wrote:

Quebecois (how do you do a c-cedilla in text?

Use the alt codes

Quebeçois (Alt-0231)

Somewhere I may have a character map. I've used the é alt-0233 often
enough
that I remember it. Likely, since it's so close, I'll remember the ç :{))

If you have windows, you have Character Map

\System32\charmap.exe

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:30:38 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

What I really need is a sheet showing the shortcuts (alt-whatever4digits),
as it's a bit of a wander to get to that map to click

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:29:01 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Thanks, Wayne,

However, that's not a storable sheet. It's a nice illustration, though!

Not sure what you mean by storable. I might be able to make a
digitally down loadable copy if that would be useful. Do you have a
printer onboard?

Flying Pig wrote:
Thanks, Wayne,

However, that's not a storable sheet. It's a nice illustration, though!

L8R

Skip

It's in the (e)mail, Skip.

--