Bob Bob is offline

Default man dies on sailboat: death by chair

Ya got to watch this one...........

Fat ass on a cockpit easy boy dies. Looks like excessive BMI and
failure to maintaine deck fasteners. My guess is crevis corrosion at
head of SS machine screw.... nah, they used ss wood screws and they
just pooped out.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/oregon/Man-...104711794.html

On 10/13/2010 1:46 AM, Bob wrote:
Ya got to watch this one...........

Fat ass on a cockpit easy boy dies. Looks like excessive BMI and
failure to maintaine deck fasteners. My guess is crevis corrosion at
head of SS machine screw.... nah, they used ss wood screws and they
just pooped out.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/oregon/Man-...104711794.html

Forget the fat ass insult - you have no evidence for that. If you have
never had a pedestal seat break away, then it's just one more event in
your future.
What you SHOULD be on his case for, is this:
his kids were ALL wearing life-jackets, but he wasn't.
He wasn't a strong swimmer, and the Columbia river is cold, cold, cold
at this time.

Brian W
mmc mmc is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
Ya got to watch this one...........

Fat ass on a cockpit easy boy dies. Looks like excessive BMI and
failure to maintaine deck fasteners. My guess is crevis corrosion at
head of SS machine screw.... nah, they used ss wood screws and they
just pooped out.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/oregon/Man-...104711794.html

Guy goes over the side with his kids watching and you want to make fun and
call names? You continue to be one of the biggest horses asses on the NGs.
Congrats and back to the **** bin with you.

Bob Bob is offline

Guy goes over the side with his kids watching and you want to make fun and
call names? You continue to be one of the biggest horses asses on the NGs.
Congrats and back to the **** bin with you.

Yes, it is an absolute tragedy and my heart goes to those children who
will most likely bear for the rest of their life some guilt why they
did or did not do somthing correctly to save their father. Absolutly
terrible.

But............ I condem the father for failing on every level both as
a parent and as a vessel operator. He placed his children in a
situation to bare that guilt all their life. For him I say, what an
asshole for causing so much grief and heartake just be cause he wasnt
a caring enough father to address so many defeciencies that lead to
his death. To the dad I say, SAME ON YOU!

Poor maintance on a device that has no purpose on a sailboat.
Alowing a ****ing lazyboy on a sailboat in the first place.
Did not provide a safe role model for children. I imagine the mother
bitched him out , saying: if you want to act like a fool and not wear
a PFD I dont care BUT if my children are going on that damn boat you
better make sure they all wear their PFDs.
Finally, as a parent he has the responsibilty to protect himself. By
acting foolishly he placed his family in jeprody just as well as if he
had unprotected sex with some hooker at the Troutdale truck stop. As a
parent, I always ask myself, what would my children(s) feel or do if
somthing happended to me? Obviously that Dad didnt know enough to
protect his family by protecting himself.

When children, or anyone for that matter, are on a vessel the operator
must serve as the de facto safety model. All will look to the operator
(her/him) for guidance on how to behave safely.

His biggest failings were Arogance and Ignorance two sins a vessel
operator can not afford.

ob

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 23:46:47 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

Ya got to watch this one...........

Fat ass on a cockpit easy boy dies. Looks like excessive BMI and
failure to maintaine deck fasteners. My guess is crevis corrosion at
head of SS machine screw.... nah, they used ss wood screws and they
just pooped out.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/oregon/Man-...104711794.html

Did you read the article that you quote?

The boat was a 65 ft. sail boat. Have you ever been on a 65 ft. sail
boat?

Where do you think that the Helmsman positions himself while steering
the boat?

Do you really think that he stands to the wheel clad in oilskins and
sou-wester?

Once again, you don't know what you are talking about.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bob Bob is offline

Did you read the article that you quote?

I read that article and a few others and also watched the KGW video.

The boat was a 65 ft. sail boat. Have you ever been on a 65 ft. sail
boat?

Do you mean, have I ever been on a sailing yacht 20M?
The ansewer is yes. Actually several. I fact I plan on bing on an 80
foot sailboat as a tourist in a few days. What can I say, I enjoy
traditional sailing craft.

Where do you think that the Helmsman positions himself while steering
the boat?

Close to the helm.

Do you really think that he stands to the wheel clad in oilskins and
sou-wester?

One of the things that I found repulsive while working as an AB on
those OSV/DSV was the slothenly way those fat coonasses put there
obease ass on the captain chair and sat there while underway.

I did what every one should do I STOOD WATCH. The captain finally
ordered me to sit in the chair because all my walking around made him
nervous when he was on the bridge and I was driving the boat.
Personally I like to walk around. It keeps me awake and alert! I see
more that way and am not prone to doze off. Not a good Idea to run
into a rig or another boat as an AB with the captain in the mess.

Once again, you don't know what you are talking about.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Once again your luberly and lacadasical aproach to seamanship has
dimmed your ability to see a travisty when it happend. The operator
made several errors on serveral levels and now his kids will live with
that tragity for decades to come.

Look, if you want an easyboy on your boat go for it. Hell put a sofa
in the cockpit for all I care. When I Stand Watch, I stand AND watch!
But yes I also sit in the cockpit. Why???? cause there aint no
bulkheads to keep me from falling overboard if I get knocked out of my
lazyboy.

Bob

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:36:01 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

[...]

Well bravo, you stand a watch" and you stand up all the time. I assume
that is a standard naval watch - 4 hours. Now try it for a day and a
night as some cruising people do.

But the whole argument is ridicules - a competent person ensures that
he can see what needs to be seen and if one can do that sitting down
then it is certainly sufficient, whether sitting, lying or standing.

The argument that because you need to walk about to see the waters
surrounding your vessel is necessary and therefore every helmsman must
walk around is ridicules. The helmsman of a VLCC can walk around the
bridge all he wants and still can't see the water ahead of the vessel
and a bloke in a small yacht may be able to see it all lying on his
back.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

[...]

Hello Bruce:

After reading your posts for a few years I believe you are a
reasonable, measured, and bright person. I believe that overboard
death could have easily been avoided simply by eliminating any one of
the several deficiencies that contributed to his death.

Do you agree his death was preventable?
If so, other than wearing a PFD what else would be necessary to avoid
death?

BOb
(on vacation)

wrote:

[...]

Of course it could have been prevented. Simply wear a harness and stay
clipped on all the time.

But like many other endeavors, sailing is really a dangerous thing to
do, compared to sitting on a rock, on dry land. The question is how
dangerous do you want it to be.

Sailing in the Hobart Race is, for example, far more dangerous then in
the Thailand King's Cup but they may well have more entries in the
Hobart Race; sailing round the horn is far more dangerous then going
through the canal but people still do it. "My Old Man and the Sea" is
a book about a father and son who planned and prepared for several
years to "round the horn", even built a special boat for it.

My own beliefs are that you simply cannot be 100% safe all the time,
(some people have dropped dead walking to the Supermarket) so do what
you want, be as prudent as you think reasonable, and have a good time.

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

[...]

I loved that book, Bruce.
Hell of a story.
even with the 10,000 mile cat...

--

Richard Lamb

Man dies in freak fishing accident hk General 10 August 8th 08 03:54 AM
how to use a Bowsons chair doc ASA 3 May 1st 06 03:54 AM
Man who faked his death (next boat slip over) gets 7 yrs Joe ASA 6 February 23rd 06 01:04 AM
Man dies in capsizing Gordon Cruising 54 February 10th 06 06:09 AM
Death-wish? Group with ZERO experience renting an 8-man sailboat .... Anteater70 ASA 6 May 26th 04 12:28 PM