Default The Golf Course and Ettiquite

On a golf course certain rules apply. If one is guilty of infracting the
rules, one can be ejected. Generally speaking, golfers know the rules and
they abide by the rules. For one thing, they think it's sportsmanlike to be
considerate to their fellow golfer, the course and the staff. Golfers are
civil and courteous to their fellow sportsman. Politeness and silence is the
rule rather than the exception. Any rude, noisy and discourteous golfer
would be ostracized and rightly so.

So, what's happened to the sport of sailing? It seems lately that the more
loud and obnoxious, ignorant, drunk and uncivilized a boatload of cretins
can be, the more they think they are having a "good time". They honestly
feel their 'good time' trumps the rights of the majority of fellow sailors
to a little peace, quiet, civility and safety.

Judging from replies I've read in this group in the past year or so there is
a significant minority who actually believes just about anything goes. If it
makes life miserable for the majority they honestly think, "Tough!" and they
believe the majority can kiss their ass. They are uncaring hedonists who
believe sailing isn't about the next guy at all. Rather, it's a selfish
pursuit all about the selfish individual who makes life miserable for every
considerate soul.

I, for one, will not abide such selfish and aberrant thinking and crass
action.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

On a golf course certain rules apply. If one is guilty of infracting the
rules, one can be ejected. Generally speaking, golfers know the rules and
they abide by the rules. For one thing, they think it's sportsmanlike to
be considerate to their fellow golfer, the course and the staff. Golfers
are civil and courteous to their fellow sportsman. Politeness and silence
is the rule rather than the exception. Any rude, noisy and discourteous
golfer would be ostracized and rightly so.

Wilbur Hubbard

LOL!

ROTFLMAO!!

So, what does this say about your postings here???

L8R

Hugs and kisses from Skip and Lydia, who love you anyway

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

On a golf course certain rules apply. If one is guilty of infracting the
rules, one can be ejected. Generally speaking, golfers know the rules and
they abide by the rules. For one thing, they think it's sportsmanlike to
be considerate to their fellow golfer, the course and the staff. Golfers
are civil and courteous to their fellow sportsman. Politeness and silence
is the rule rather than the exception. Any rude, noisy and discourteous
golfer would be ostracized and rightly so.

Wilbur Hubbard

LOL!

ROTFLMAO!!

So, what does this say about your postings here???

My postings are on-topic, to the point and realistic. They examine things
like noisy, discourteous sailors who do many of the things you say you do,
including running the portable Honda generator on deck when anchored in a
crowded anchorage. Did you delete the paragraph about rude, inconsiderate
and noisy sailors because you felt a twinge of guilt?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

My postings are on-topic, to the point and realistic. They examine things
like noisy, discourteous sailors who do many of the things you say you do,
including running the portable Honda generator on deck when anchored in a
crowded anchorage. Did you delete the paragraph about rude, inconsiderate
and noisy sailors because you felt a twinge of guilt?

Wilbur Hubbard

:{)) Obviously you don't read my postings very closely.

A: I don't DO crowded anchorages, unless it's the only game in town, such
as Block Island on Labor Day, or Georgetown, in the season.

B: I very rarely run the Honda, having an abundance of green power.

C: In such crowded places as found in A, my Honda is lost among nearly every
other cruiser's accompaniment, should I run it (see B). In my normal
anchorages, there's nobody within earshot, and very frequently (our
preference) not even in sight. I even turn off our cockpit speakers when
we're watching a movie, out of consideration for those around me if I'm in a
crowd. In the case instant, you couldn't hear it for the wind, anyway,
regardless of its being on, very briefly.

Nice try.

L8R

Skip, about to watch yet another movie.

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:11:25 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

On a golf course certain rules apply. If one is guilty of infracting the
rules, one can be ejected. Generally speaking, golfers know the rules and
they abide by the rules. For one thing, they think it's sportsmanlike to be
considerate to their fellow golfer, the course and the staff. Golfers are
civil and courteous to their fellow sportsman. Politeness and silence is the
rule rather than the exception. Any rude, noisy and discourteous golfer
would be ostracized and rightly so.

You obviously know little, or nothing, about golfers as you are
parroting a myth about a group who have always included a cross
section of society, and contain all the saints and sinners that this
society contains.

So, what's happened to the sport of sailing? It seems lately that the more
loud and obnoxious, ignorant, drunk and uncivilized a boatload of cretins
can be, the more they think they are having a "good time". They honestly
feel their 'good time' trumps the rights of the majority of fellow sailors
to a little peace, quiet, civility and safety.

And what is the sport of "sailing". It can't be any of the racing
activities as you certainly have never been associated with Yacht
Racing in any meaningful way as that "sport" certainly includes a very
large percentage of people who protest rules, demand right -of-ways
and drunkenness, tale telling and generally obnoxious behavior.

Judging from replies I've read in this group in the past year or so there is
a significant minority who actually believes just about anything goes. If it
makes life miserable for the majority they honestly think, "Tough!" and they
believe the majority can kiss their ass. They are uncaring hedonists who
believe sailing isn't about the next guy at all. Rather, it's a selfish
pursuit all about the selfish individual who makes life miserable for every
considerate soul.

I, for one, will not abide such selfish and aberrant thinking and crass
action.

Wilbur Hubbard

Or to put it in other words, you are living a dream world.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

Or to put it in other words, you are living a dream world.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I guess that qualifies as "living the dream"...

--

Richard Lamb

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 21:03:03 -0500, CaveLamb
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

Or to put it in other words, you are living a dream world.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I guess that qualifies as "living the dream"...

You know, it probably does. But then, some do argue that the feeble
minded are always happy.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Bob Bob is offline

You obviously know little, or nothing, about golfers as you are
parroting a myth about a group who have always included a cross
section of society, and contain all the saints and sinners that this
society contains.

So, what's happened to the sport of sailing? It seems lately that the more
loud and obnoxious, ignorant, drunk and uncivilized a boatload of cretins
can be, the more they think they are having a "good time". They honestly

And what is the sport of "sailing". It can't be any of the racing
activities as you certainly have never been associated with Yacht
Racing in any meaningful way as that "sport" certainly includes a very
large percentage of people who protest rules, demand right -of-ways

Wilbur Hubbard

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Id like to add that GOLF is a game baised on comunisum.

Look at it this way; when a person is really good they get penalized
and when a person is really bad they get more points I think its caled
a handycap.

Imagine that, the game of the elite rich is actually a game based on
the commie manifesto. Ya kno , take from the rich and redistribute the
points to the lamest players. So why do all those fat ass Rush
Limbaugh republicans who lvoe golf love the idea of taking a
handycap... hell even the name HANDYCAP says it all. the only game
that you need a handycap sticker to play.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:12:57 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

[...]

Err... you are a little off target there. Nobody is penalized in a
game of golf, but the poorer players get some points to try and make a
better competition between the players. Much like yacht racing, by the
way.

And, given that golf like games were played as far back as the 1200's
while the Communist Manifesto was first published in 1848, it seems
far more likely that if anything communism might owe something to
golf.

As far as the word "handycap" goes, as you say golf players have a
handycap, yachts are also handicapped, horse racing is handicapped as
well as many other sports.

Ipso Facto, you don't know what you are talking about.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
Trimmed some

Ipso Facto, you don't know what you are talking about.

http://home.comcast.net/~blizzard3/images/meter.jpg

Wilbur Hubbard

Golf with a Frog John H[_12_] General 2 January 21st 10 06:17 PM
No Golf Today John H[_12_] General 23 January 11th 10 05:06 PM
Speaking of golf... Tom Francis - SWSports General 14 October 26th 09 11:46 PM
Golf... Short Wave Sportfishing General 23 February 29th 08 01:30 AM
Usenet ettiquite / required reading / that means all of you :-) Ellen MacArthur ASA 3 December 2nd 06 07:57 PM