Default Dry Ice Blasting

Removing old paint, metal corrosion and organic bottom deposits is a very large time consumer in boat construction and ownership.
I love sand blasting as a process, but there are significant downsides to this. One is the mess it creates and another is its lack
of discrimination on what it removes and what it leaves behind. Does anyone have any experience with Dry Ice blasting. The
advertising of this makes all kinds of claims. Is it as good as it is advertised?
Steve

Bruce,
You are exactly correct, but I'm thinking this is a lot like powder coating
where powder coating is significantly cheaper as well as better than paint
if you consider effort, finishing material cost and coating performance.
Sure there is manual cleaning, sandpaper and elbow grease, but add up those
costs and depending on the availability of cheap labor, there could be a
business case for Dry Ice blasting.
Steve

"

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:36:01 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Bruce,
You are exactly correct, but I'm thinking this is a lot like powder coating
where powder coating is significantly cheaper as well as better than paint
if you consider effort, finishing material cost and coating performance.
Sure there is manual cleaning, sandpaper and elbow grease, but add up those
costs and depending on the availability of cheap labor, there could be a
business case for Dry Ice blasting.
Steve

Cheap immigrant labor is not only a good old American practice and
works right well. The place I rent my living quarters has a fully
legal Burmese "guest worker" employed. I don't know exactly how much
they pay him but a couple of days I wanted him to help move my stuff
to the new quarters the people who employ him said to give him 300
baht a day - which probably means that his monthly salary is a bit
lower then that. 300 baht is about 10 dollars, or maybe a bit less
(not exactly sure of the exchange rate).

Thai labor, by the way, would be about twice that figure.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lusardi View Post
Removing old paint, metal corrosion and organic bottom deposits is a very large time consumer in boat construction and ownership.
I love sand blasting as a process, but there are significant downsides to this. One is the mess it creates and another is its lack
of discrimination on what it removes and what it leaves behind. Does anyone have any experience with Dry Ice blasting. The
advertising of this makes all kinds of claims. Is it as good as it is advertised?
Steve
You have a great application for dry ice blasting. With ZERO secondary cleanup, dry ice blasting is becoming to answer in the boat restoration industry.

The only concern that I would have is when you said paint. There are so many different types of paint. A good majority work well with dry ice blasting, however there are some paints that don't work so well. But older paint usually is a great app for dry ice blasting. Since dry ice blasting is non-abrasive, you will not damage the surface you are blasting on when using our splitter technology, which takes the dry ice blasting pellets and breaks it up into more of a grain texture.

If you have any additional questions, I would be more than happy to help you. You can also visit our website at www.icetechworld.com, we are a world wide manufacture of dry ice blasting machines.

I need to live there................
Steve

wrote:

[...]

Boats.....Dry Ice Cleaning Steve Lusardi Boat Building 0 September 21st 10 02:04 PM
Anyone use dry ice for a refrigerator? Tim General 21 August 27th 10 03:10 AM
Older Arctic sea ice replaced by young, thin ice, says CU-Boulderstudy [email protected] General 0 January 14th 08 10:57 AM
Dry Ice Box? cavelamb Cruising 44 July 14th 06 04:32 AM
soda blasting in Mass av2pilot General 1 November 3rd 05 10:48 PM