BoatBanter.com

-   -   Dry Ice Blasting (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/118347-dry-ice-blasting.html)

Steve Lusardi September 21st 10 02:07 PM

Dry Ice Blasting

Removing old paint, metal corrosion and organic bottom deposits is a very large time consumer in boat construction and ownership.
I love sand blasting as a process, but there are significant downsides to this. One is the mess it creates and another is its lack
of discrimination on what it removes and what it leaves behind. Does anyone have any experience with Dry Ice blasting. The
advertising of this makes all kinds of claims. Is it as good as it is advertised?
Steve

Steve Lusardi September 26th 10 08:36 AM

Dry Ice Blasting

Bruce,
You are exactly correct, but I'm thinking this is a lot like powder coating
where powder coating is significantly cheaper as well as better than paint
if you consider effort, finishing material cost and coating performance.
Sure there is manual cleaning, sandpaper and elbow grease, but add up those
costs and depending on the availability of cheap labor, there could be a
business case for Dry Ice blasting.
Steve

"

Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] September 27th 10 11:50 AM

Dry Ice Blasting

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:36:01 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Bruce,
You are exactly correct, but I'm thinking this is a lot like powder coating
where powder coating is significantly cheaper as well as better than paint
if you consider effort, finishing material cost and coating performance.
Sure there is manual cleaning, sandpaper and elbow grease, but add up those
costs and depending on the availability of cheap labor, there could be a
business case for Dry Ice blasting.
Steve

Cheap immigrant labor is not only a good old American practice and
works right well. The place I rent my living quarters has a fully
legal Burmese "guest worker" employed. I don't know exactly how much
they pay him but a couple of days I wanted him to help move my stuff
to the new quarters the people who employ him said to give him 300
baht a day - which probably means that his monthly salary is a bit
lower then that. 300 baht is about 10 dollars, or maybe a bit less
(not exactly sure of the exchange rate).

Thai labor, by the way, would be about twice that figure.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

KevinIceTech September 27th 10 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Lusardi (Post 823026)
Removing old paint, metal corrosion and organic bottom deposits is a very large time consumer in boat construction and ownership.
I love sand blasting as a process, but there are significant downsides to this. One is the mess it creates and another is its lack
of discrimination on what it removes and what it leaves behind. Does anyone have any experience with Dry Ice blasting. The
advertising of this makes all kinds of claims. Is it as good as it is advertised?
Steve

You have a great application for dry ice blasting. With ZERO secondary cleanup, dry ice blasting is becoming to answer in the boat restoration industry.

The only concern that I would have is when you said paint. There are so many different types of paint. A good majority work well with dry ice blasting, however there are some paints that don't work so well. But older paint usually is a great app for dry ice blasting. Since dry ice blasting is non-abrasive, you will not damage the surface you are blasting on when using our splitter technology, which takes the dry ice blasting pellets and breaks it up into more of a grain texture.

If you have any additional questions, I would be more than happy to help you. You can also visit our website at www.icetechworld.com, we are a world wide manufacture of dry ice blasting machines.