Default Vent filter

Am installing a new sanitary system and am curious about vent filters.
If using a filter, does this mean you can vent inside the boat? If not
why filter?
Are these filters effective or do they cause more odors to form?
Thanks
Gordon

Gordon wrote:

Am installing a new sanitary system and am curious about vent filters.
If using a filter, does this mean you can vent inside the boat? If not
why filter?
Are these filters effective or do they cause more odors to form?
Thanks
Gordon

Not sure what you mean exactly, but I think the filters are to keep
things like wasps from getting into the filter and clogging it up.

Gordon wrote:
Am installing a new sanitary system and am curious about vent filters.
If using a filter, does this mean you can vent inside the boat? If not
why filter?
Are these filters effective or do they cause more odors to form?
Thanks
Gordon

Hopefully all vents are located to minimise the risk of offensive odours
in the cockpit or below while under way, at anchor or moored by the bow.

Unfortunately most boats are kept in marinas most of the time and the
odour may well be offensive to neighbours and with the boat not free to
swing, it may well be offensive on board.

Feel free to vent below decks if you earn your living at the waste
treatment plant or driving a honey wagon and never want to take guests
or entertain.

Effectiveness will never be 100% and without a rigorous maintenance
program may be minimal, while any restriction on tank ventilation will
aggravate the root cause of the problem, risking increased odour and
other problems.

Contact Peggie Hall (The 'Head Mistress') for further advice . . .
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 08:07:40 -0800, Gordon wrote:

Am installing a new sanitary system and am curious about vent filters.
If using a filter, does this mean you can vent inside the boat?

I assume you are talking about the holding tank vent? If so, do not
even think about venting inside the boat. The odor will knock you
over and render the boat uninhabitable.

If not
why filter?

Are these filters effective or do they cause more odors to form?

The idea is to minimize the odor outside the boat. The jury is still
out on whether that is a good idea or not because the filter will
reduce the flow of air to and from the tank.

You should really read Peggie Hall's book on this subject or do a
search on Google for some of her past postings:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Rid-Boat-Odors-Aggravation/dp/1892399156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260040017&sr=1-1

or

http://tinyurl.com/y9394go

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Let me explain the filter I'm talking about.
http://www.northeastsanitation.com/vent_filters.html

This filter supposedly stops odor so why not vent inside?
BTW I have Peggy's book.
Gordon

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 09:37:30 -0800, Gordon wrote:

This filter supposedly stops odor so why not vent inside?

It will lead to problems sooner or later. Peggie is a big advocate
of freely venting the holding tank with lots of fresh air. At the
very least, the filter will impede that venting. At worst the filter
will become clogged sooner or later and cause the tank to pressurize.
Use your imagination on where that will lead.

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 13:37:17 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 09:37:30 -0800, Gordon wrote:

This filter supposedly stops odor so why not vent inside?

It will lead to problems sooner or later. Peggie is a big advocate
of freely venting the holding tank with lots of fresh air. At the
very least, the filter will impede that venting. At worst the filter
will become clogged sooner or later and cause the tank to pressurize.
Use your imagination on where that will lead.

Perhaps I miss-remember Peggy's advice but I have the distinct memory
that Peggy suggested large holding tank vents and felt that a supply
of oxygen was necessary - I seem to remember 1 inch vents?. I can't
see that adding a charcoal filter to the system is going to cause
troubles assuming that it doesn't impede air flow but why vent inside
the boat - what advantage is that going to give you?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 09:37:30 -0800, Gordon wrote:

This filter supposedly stops odor so why not vent inside?

It will lead to problems sooner or later. Peggie is a big advocate
of freely venting the holding tank with lots of fresh air. At the
very least, the filter will impede that venting. At worst the filter
will become clogged sooner or later and cause the tank to pressurize.
Use your imagination on where that will lead.

Perhaps I miss-remember Peggy's advice but I have the distinct memory
that Peggy suggested large holding tank vents and felt that a supply
of oxygen was necessary - I seem to remember 1 inch vents?. I can't
see that adding a charcoal filter to the system is going to cause
troubles assuming that it doesn't impede air flow but why vent inside
the boat - what advantage is that going to give you?

Disadvantage. Better venting due to increased airflow outside.
Time to rant.
First, I don't have a boat, but so what?
When I get a boat, it will have an Airhead or equivalent.
Every owner account I've read has been a good review.
Not suitable for "party boats" or more than 4-5 crew, but for a couple
or a couple with a couple kids it's fine.
No holding tanks, hoses, valves, pumpouts, etc.
And no stink.
Only reason I can figure they aren't more used is simple ignorance,
and the marine head parts industry poo-pooing the idea.
Rant over.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

He'll know right away when the filter doesn't catch everything.

fOn Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:29:11 -0600, Vic Smith

wrote:

[...]

What is an "airhead"? I've only ever heard that term used in reference
to ditzy blonds..."she's an air head".