Default Thanks! (For all the fish, for you sci-fi's, and for the Cornflakes, for the rest)

Thanks! (For all the fish, for you sci-fi's, and for the Cornflakes, for the
rest)

Hi, all,

At this time of year, we Americans are reminded of the bounteous blessings
we have in this, our transitory life. I could go on, and on (no, I won't,
for once!)...

I'm totally blessed to be living the dream, long in coming, as those who
followed our adventures for the last 10 years or so to get to where we are
today know. Here in Marsh Harbour, and the surrounding Abacos in the
Bahamas, we're additionally reminded of our bounty:

We're healthy
We're happy
We're surrounded by friends electronic, in the flesh, and in other cruisers
We're warm enough/cool enough
We're dry, when it's wet
We're adequately fed
We have funds sufficient to survive for a while.
We, barring some surprise, expect to live for quite a while, yet

Not everyone has that privilege, most starkly brought home to us in our
travels. My father and Lydia's mother are in their twilights, my father
much more so, prompting contemplation of a trip to the US while he still can
recognize me. We've, otherwise, seen anywhere from outlandish luxury to
obscene poverty in our travels.

However, one recent series of events here in Marsh Harbour has our
attention. I'll turn over the pen to Lydia for a guest posting; those of
you receiving her log (the google one in the list at the end of my
signature) have already seen it. Many of those of you have asked if you
could pass it around. Those same have already received our enthusiastic
approval. So, consider that request granted to those reading it, now, for
the first time. Nobody will send you a new Ford, give you a discount at
Applebees, a free laptop or whatever else the usual spam blandishments
promise if you do. Nor will you be, somehow, cursed, if you don't.

But, if you're so moved, please do disseminate it far and wide - you'll see
why when you read the following (begin Lydia's guest appearance):

Subject: Making a Difference and The Price of Cornflakes

If you're not an animal lover, you may as well skip this particular log
entry. Just go ahead and exit the site, or move on to the next email,
(depending upon how you receive this) because what I'm about to talk about
will only deeply affect those who have large hearts for God's creatures.

Here's a story for you:

Back in the fall of 1492, Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue and
happened upon Cuba, which he claimed for Spain. Among the many things he
brought ashore were his Spanish horses, beautiful creatures bred for their
hardiness, endurance and courageous spirit, and with them, Columbus
established two horse farms on the island.

Fast forward 400 years.

At the turn of the 20th century, the forest on the island of Abaco in the
Bahamas, was being clear-cut, and logged. Not having any modern machinery
in those days, nor work animals on the island, they brought in horses from
Cuba to drag the logs out of the forest. Many years later, when tractors
became available, the horses were abandoned and turned loose in the forest
to fend for themselves, obsolete, cast away. Bred to survive harsh
conditions, they made the sun scorched island and the regenerating forest
their home, and they thrived despite all odds.

Today, DNA samples prove that the wild horses of Abaco, which are now
recognized by the Horses of Americas Registry as Abaco Barbs, are direct,
undiluted descendants of the Spanish horses introduced to Cuba by
Christopher Columbus in 1492, and brought to Abaco in the late 1800s. There
are no similar horses in Cuba today. As of this date, only 6 horses remain
from a herd of about 200, on the verge of extinction for the second time in
recent years. These beautiful creatures have become endangered by the
environmental changes brought about by man; the road which cut through their
forest, the relentless clear-cutting of same, the unspeakable atrocities
perpetrated by men who hunted and slaughtered them, the fires which
destroyed their natural grazing source, the poisonous weeds that grew up in
the aftermath of bulldozing. Against all odds, these 6 remaining Abaco
Barbs, known to be the most endangered breed of horse on our planet,
continue to fight courageously for their survival.

That, effectively, is the end of the story. Most people really don't care.
The Bahamian government doesn't seem to much care, either.

But there's one woman here in Marsh Harbour, who lives on her boat, and who
devotes her life to preventing the extinction of the Abaco Barbs. Skip and
I met with her today, to see how we could help, how we could give back, how
we can make a difference. We'll start by volunteering our time in the
Buck-a-Book bookstore, where, not surprisingly, books cost a buck, and all
the money generated goes to the non-profit fund for the horses. And the
fund needs money badly.

Now, if I were to ask you whether you thought you could afford to spend $10
a month on eating out, you'd tell me not to be ridiculous. Of course you
can't eat out for $10/month. You can't even buy lunch for two at McDonalds
for $10. I'm not even sure that you can buy a 6-pack of Bud Lite for $10
(you definitely can't in the Abacos), and I know for an absolute fact that
$10 won't get you more than two boxes of Cornflakes anymore. I've thought
about this a lot - Skip and I are on a tight budget out here - and I've
concluded that in today's economy, you can't really do very much at all for
$10/month.

But you could make an enormous difference for the Abaco Barbs for $10/month.
If we all did it - if everyone of us who gets this log did it, (which doesn't
include the non-members who simply log in and read from the site), we'd have
generated $6750 in one month. In ONE month!! That amount of money would go
a long way towards catching up the wages for the two loyal men who stand
watch over the 5 miles of fence around the horses (constantly weeding around
it and repairing it, among other things), who haven't had a paycheck since
July, but are still working, such is their devotion.

I don't know how you feel about your raison d'etre, but I believe that if I
see an opportunity to make a positive difference in this world, I'm obliged
to take it. I mean, really - if you are reading this log, I can safely say
that we all agree with that, right?

So, for $10 every month, I am going to be a part of preserving the oldest,
and most endangered breed of horse on this earth. I'm going to help repair
the damage that mankind caused these creatures; I'm going to help stave off
their extinction for at least another month. I'm doing it for the horses,
and I'm doing it for my grandchildren, and your grandchildren, and all their
grandchildren, and the beautiful planet we live on.

I think that most of us could scratch up $10 each month from the change
under the seats of our cars and our sofas, not to mention what gets left in
our pockets in the laundry hamper. Would you help me?

Please take the time to look at the site - http://www.arkwild.org.

Please click the donation button. I already have.

--
Love, Lydia

S/V Flying Pig
Morgan 46 #2
"The only way to live is to have a dream green and growing in your life -
anything else is just existing and is a waste of breath."
Ann Davison

(end Lydia's guest post)

Well, that's what she had to say. I can't add much - other than that I've
had hands-on with these beautiful animals, and wish you could have the same
experience...

L8R

Skip, thankful

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

Let's be frank. IMO, and to paraphrase what you wrote above, you a

Old
Delusional
Living a cluttered life
Have enough alcohol in your bloodstream that temperature is irrelevant
You're wet behind the ears
You're fat
You mooch off your friends
Have grandiose expectations considering your competence level.

But, Happy Thanksgiving, anyway.

Wilbur Hubbard

Here's a story for you:

Back in the fall of 1492, Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue and
happened upon Cuba, which he claimed for Spain. Among the many things he
brought ashore were his Spanish horses, beautiful creatures bred for their
hardiness, endurance and courageous spirit, and with them, Columbus
established two horse farms on the island.

And if he had discovered donkeys instead of turkeys, we'd all have a
piece of ass for Thanksgiving!
Oops, wrong sailor.