Default How far off-shore.

How far offshore do I have to travel when going south from Fort Pierce
to Miami to avoid the gulf stream??

Hanz

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 05:32:39 -0500, Hanz
wrote:

How far offshore do I have to travel when going south from Fort Pierce
to Miami to avoid the gulf stream??

Stay as close to shore as possible. I like to travel about 300 yards
(meters) off the beach in about 20 ft (6 meters) of water. Trying to
avoid the Gulf Stream by going around it to the east does not work and
adds a lot of extra distance.

Hanz wrote:
How far offshore do I have to travel when going south from Fort Pierce
to Miami to avoid the gulf stream??

Hanz

Stay inshore. The stream can actually touch the coast at Palm. You'll
know if that's the case. If so, move offshore enough to regain your
speed over the mud.

"Hanz" wrote in message
news
How far offshore do I have to travel when going south from Fort Pierce to
Miami to avoid the gulf stream??

Hanz

You will have to sail far enough east to be on the Bahama Banks.

Wilbur Hubbard

"slide" wrote in message
Hanz wrote:
How far offshore do I have to travel when going south from Fort Pierce to
Miami to avoid the gulf stream??

Hanz

Stay inshore. The stream can actually touch the coast at Palm. You'll know
if that's the case. If so, move offshore enough to regain your speed over
the mud.

]
]Further, inshore you can sometimes catch a countercurrent, and, as well,
depending on which way the wind's already blowing, get some help from the
shore convection during the day.

Our rule was "sail close enough that you can see the smiles on the faces of
the people on the beach"...

Somebody here likely has, also, a US Navy daily report on the stream's (and
counter currents) speed and location, via graphical representation (not with
lat/long specs). I used it a lot in our up-and-downs the last couple of
years but not doing that now, have lost track of the links...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, in Hopetown for a few days before heading back up to the
Marsh Harbour area

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

Flying Pig wrote:
"slide" wrote in message

]
]Further, inshore you can sometimes catch a countercurrent, and, as well,
depending on which way the wind's already blowing, get some help from the
shore convection during the day.

Our rule was "sail close enough that you can see the smiles on the faces of
the people on the beach"...

Somebody here likely has, also, a US Navy daily report on the stream's (and
counter currents) speed and location, via graphical representation (not with
lat/long specs). I used it a lot in our up-and-downs the last couple of
years but not doing that now, have lost track of the links...

The trick is to track your speed over the mud to see if your course
needs adjusting. If he has a boat which can clear 65' he can also go
inland.

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:50:39 -0700, slide
wrote:

Somebody here likely has, also, a US Navy daily report on the stream's (and
counter currents) speed and location, via graphical representation (not with
lat/long specs). I used it a lot in our up-and-downs the last couple of
years but not doing that now, have lost track of the links...

The trick is to track your speed over the mud to see if your course
needs adjusting. If he has a boat which can clear 65' he can also go
inland.

Staying close in, just off the beach, has a lot to recommend it for
various reasons. The inside route from Ft Pierce to Miami has about
30 lift bridges, almost all on inconvenient opening schedules.

Bad shore power [email protected] Cruising 14 June 16th 06 08:09 AM
Off Shore Drilling *JimH* General 11 September 9th 05 10:20 PM
SSB to shore? Wellfooled Electronics 24 April 20th 05 01:27 AM
FS: Shore Power set in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 April 16th 04 02:56 AM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM