Default McMurdo Fastfind failure

Replaced the battery in my McMurdo Fastfind Plus (406 Mhz EPIRB with
gps) and did the self test. Did not work. Tried old battery, same
thing. All it does is make an eeeeeeeeeeeeee noise, nothing else.
So, now, a week before a cross Gulf Of Mexico trip I am without an
EPIRB. Damn thing prob has not worked for the past year and I carried
it the whole time. They say send it to Jacksonville, FL for repair.

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:44:29 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Replaced the battery in my McMurdo Fastfind Plus (406 Mhz EPIRB with
gps) and did the self test. Did not work. Tried old battery, same
thing. All it does is make an eeeeeeeeeeeeee noise, nothing else.
So, now, a week before a cross Gulf Of Mexico trip I am without an
EPIRB. Damn thing prob has not worked for the past year and I carried
it the whole time. They say send it to Jacksonville, FL for repair.

If you need something in a hurry you can get a SPOT device from West
Marine and set up your web profile in a half hour or so. The SPOT is
not really a substitute for a registered EPIRB but is a whole lot
better than nothing.

wrote:

Replaced the battery in my McMurdo Fastfind Plus (406 Mhz EPIRB with
gps) and did the self test. Did not work. Tried old battery, same
thing. All it does is make an eeeeeeeeeeeeee noise, nothing else.
So, now, a week before a cross Gulf Of Mexico trip I am without an
EPIRB. Damn thing prob has not worked for the past year and I carried
it the whole time. They say send it to Jacksonville, FL for repair.

If you need something in a hurry you can get a SPOT device from West
Marine and set up your web profile in a half hour or so. The SPOT is
not really a substitute for a registered EPIRB but is a whole lot
better than nothing.

But of course, if he has been getting along without it for a year.....

:-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

Replaced the battery in my McMurdo Fastfind Plus (406 Mhz EPIRB with
gps) and did the self test. Did not work. Tried old battery, same
thing. All it does is make an eeeeeeeeeeeeee noise, nothing else.
So, now, a week before a cross Gulf Of Mexico trip I am without an
EPIRB. Damn thing prob has not worked for the past year and I carried
it the whole time. They say send it to Jacksonville, FL for repair.

If you need something in a hurry you can get a SPOT device from West
Marine and set up your web profile in a half hour or so. The SPOT is
not really a substitute for a registered EPIRB but is a whole lot
better than nothing.

I certainly agree it's not a substitute. I believe you can rent EPIRBS, but
it would be expensive if you're gone for any length of time.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Zac is a FAILURE just like I always said . . . Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 25 August 30th 09 05:32 AM
Failure to Launch Bart ASA 12 August 28th 07 06:19 PM
Will Your Upgraded McMurdo EPIRB or PLB Really Work? [email protected] Electronics 0 May 11th 05 01:21 AM
Autopilot failure Gary General 3 October 7th 04 04:07 AM