posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default help with boat that was sold illegally

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:29:56 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:05:17 -0400, wrote:

I'm in GA and bought a boat from someone who got it from someone
else. It came from and is currently still registered in FL, where
the someone else supposedly got it from "his brother". The person
I got it from gave me a notorized bill of sale

That should be good enough for Georgia. Are they refusing to register
the boat for some reason? Is there something you are not telling us?

A boat with expired registration is not registered anywhere.

Um...well, not really.

In CT, the registration stays in "inactive" mode as it's permanently
assigned to any particular boat. I ran into this when I had the Chris
Craft Corsair that I wanted to restore before I found all the rot in
the fiberglass.

In CT, an expired boat registration stays listed to the last known
address of the previous owner. Our DMV will not release that
information until you apply for it or file an FOIA request. That
takes six weeks to "review". Once you get the owner's previous
address, you have to send a certified letter to the owner explaining
that you are now in possesion of the boat and they have to sign a
release. If the letter is returned as undeliverable, then you can
apply for a registration under your own name. The old registration
number is still on the boat though - it's permanently assigned.

The reason is interesting - boats are not subject to property tax in
CT.

Go figure - everything else in CT is. :)
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
mmc mmc is offline

wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:00:59 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:05:17 -0400, wrote:

I'm in GA and bought a boat from someone who got it from someone
else. It came from and is currently still registered in FL, where
the someone else supposedly got it from "his brother". The person
I got it from gave me a notorized bill of sale, but the someone
else he got it from didn't give him anything, never has had the
title and never has registered the boat.

How do you know it is titled in Florida? Do you know who is named on
the title and/or registration, and can you contact them?

If you can't resolve it that way and want your money back, I'd sue the
seller in small claims court and let law enforcement handle the other
details.

If you have a Florida Registration number on the side of the boat,
contact Florida find the last legitimate person to register the boat
with that number.

That's what the GA DNR suggested, but the FL DMV won't tell me
anything about it. I asked them if they could at least tell me
whether it was stolen or not and they wouldn't even say that.

Working both ends, from the last legitimate owner and
the person you purchased the boat from, you should be able to get
something accomplished.

The person you dealt with in the purchase could be guilty of dealing
with stolen merchandise.

I'd hate to see him get in any trouble since he tried to do it
right, but since he provided me with a notorized bill of sale
that might help him if things eventually get ugly.

Sounds like the first bunch of fruitcakes didn't own the boat they sold
which would make it hot.
The guy that sold it to you didn't do it right. Just because he signed a
bill of sale doesn't make him or the transaction legit. H didn't legally own
the boat since he didn't have a FL title and guess what? Neither do you.
Paying for stolen goods does not make them yours. It makes you a criminal.
You should be looking out for your own ass, not his.

wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

This is stupid. If you have the name of the registered (in FL) owner
and can contact them all you have to do is get them to apply for a
replacement of a lost title, then have them sign it over to you.

I doubt that there is any hanky panky going on at all. People are
just lazy when they sell boats and dont always go through the correct
procedure.

I bought a boat in FL and brought it back to TX then transferred the
title. We had some problems with paperwork lacking, but we worked it
out in FL. The interesting thing was that Texas, my home state,
screwed themselves out of a huge hunk of money. I wanted to buy the
boat then get a Texas title on it and then sail it back to Texas.
Texas was adamant that they had to have the boat in Texas before they
could register it. They didn't explain how I was to get it from FL to
TX without registration. If they had been willing to work with me
they would have gotten the $2,500 in sales tax from the sale. They
were not. So I registered it in FL, paid FL the sales tax, and sailed
it home and transferred the title to Texas for a piddling fee. Texas
could have had the $2500 sales tax if they had been more flexible.

The person you dealt with in the purchase could be guilty of dealing
with stolen merchandise.

I'd hate to see him get in any trouble since he tried to do it
right, but since he provided me with a notorized bill of sale
that might help him if things eventually get ugly.

Sounds like the first bunch of fruitcakes didn't own the boat they sold
which would make it hot.
The guy that sold it to you didn't do it right. Just because he signed a
bill of sale doesn't make him or the transaction legit. H didn't legally own
the boat since he didn't have a FL title and guess what? Neither do you.
Paying for stolen goods does not make them yours. It makes you a criminal..
You should be looking out for your own ass, not his.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

At last, a reasonable man.

Now's the time to either get clear paper to it, get clear of it, or have an
officer turn up at your door with papers and handcuffs wanting the boat and
taking custody of the OP for possession and interstate transportation of a
stolen chattel (Dyer Act, a federal crime), or pay the man when one of the
crazies involved in the plot comes back and sez they want their boat back
and he's out the dough and the boat and may be fined.

Steve

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
mmc mmc is offline

"SteveB" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

I agree Steve. Seems like there's always a hiccup or 3 with deals that seem
too good to be true.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"SteveB" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

I thought so, too, when I recently bought a Lund. The husband was out of
town working. I had the wife show up at DMV with a notarized bill of sale,
which she did, and it flew right through. Nothing like having the primary
parties together, and if they don't want to do that, it's just thank you
very much and a quick hang-up of the phone.

Steve

help with boat that was sold illegally DNH@N/A.net General 23 November 11th 09 08:49 PM
help with boat that was sold illegally DNH@N/A.net Boat Building 22 November 11th 09 08:49 PM
Sold His @#%! Boat... trainfan1 General 0 August 22nd 05 12:11 PM
Sold Boat sv \Sensoria\ ASA 0 September 15th 03 06:37 PM
Boat illegally docked? Chuck Tribolet General 5 July 11th 03 10:52 PM