posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default help with boat that was sold illegally

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:29:56 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:05:17 -0400, wrote:

I'm in GA and bought a boat from someone who got it from someone
else. It came from and is currently still registered in FL, where
the someone else supposedly got it from "his brother". The person
I got it from gave me a notorized bill of sale

That should be good enough for Georgia.

In the "STATE OF GEORGIA BOAT REGISTRATION APPLICATION" it says:

Prior out-of-state registration
current or expired
~use transaction type~
New GA registration

~Required~
Notarized Bill of Sale
with complete vessel information
and buyer/seller information

~Required~
Valid registration card of the previous owner
or letter from previous State registration office

Title (only coming from Title States)

Are they refusing to register
the boat for some reason? Is there something you are not telling us?

They told me to call FL. FL so far hasn't been any help, simply
telling me I need to contact the previous owner. I know that,
which is why I called them, but so far I haven't been able to
find out how to contact the previous owner.

A boat with expired registration is not registered anywhere.

.. . . "current or expired" . . .