Default strataglass vs. crystal clear dodger window material

Does someone have experience with one or both of these? I'm in the process
of (carefully) removing my dodger, then bringing it to a shop for repair.
I'm going to need to replace the windows. They're pretty badly damaged from
prior (to my ownership) damage. The shop is recommending the crystal clear,
but I haven't had a chance to quiz her about why vs. the other.

One in a long list of projects for the off-season here...

I'll probably still do quite a bit of sailing without the dodger while it
gets worked on, as long as the sailing conditions are decent.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:57:38 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Does someone have experience with one or both of these? I'm in the process
of (carefully) removing my dodger, then bringing it to a shop for repair.
I'm going to need to replace the windows. They're pretty badly damaged from
prior (to my ownership) damage. The shop is recommending the crystal clear,
but I haven't had a chance to quiz her about why vs. the other.

One in a long list of projects for the off-season here...

I'll probably still do quite a bit of sailing without the dodger while it
gets worked on, as long as the sailing conditions are decent.

We have Strataglass on our flybridge enclosure and like it a lot. It
is important to use their recommended cleaning products but they are
readily available and not unreasonably priced.

mmc mmc is offline

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ions...
Does someone have experience with one or both of these? I'm in the process
of (carefully) removing my dodger, then bringing it to a shop for repair.
I'm going to need to replace the windows. They're pretty badly damaged
from prior (to my ownership) damage. The shop is recommending the crystal
clear, but I haven't had a chance to quiz her about why vs. the other.

One in a long list of projects for the off-season here...

I'll probably still do quite a bit of sailing without the dodger while it
gets worked on, as long as the sailing conditions are decent.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

John,
Mine were polished vinyl and I replaced with same when the time came.
A friend did his in strataglass, looked very good, very clear with no
distortion (a little with the polished vinyl), stiffer and didn't wave or
wrinkle.
I was envious.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ions...
Does someone have experience with one or both of these? I'm in the process
of (carefully) removing my dodger, then bringing it to a shop for repair.
I'm going to need to replace the windows. They're pretty badly damaged
from prior (to my ownership) damage. The shop is recommending the crystal
clear, but I haven't had a chance to quiz her about why vs. the other.

One in a long list of projects for the off-season here...

I'll probably still do quite a bit of sailing without the dodger while it
gets worked on, as long as the sailing conditions are decent.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Excellent... thanks for the comments all!

I had a feeling that was the case. Now, on to the spending part. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
Does someone have experience with one or both of these? I'm in the process
of (carefully) removing my dodger, then bringing it to a shop for repair.
I'm going to need to replace the windows. They're pretty badly damaged from
prior (to my ownership) damage. The shop is recommending the crystal clear,
but I haven't had a chance to quiz her about why vs. the other.

One in a long list of projects for the off-season here...

I'll probably still do quite a bit of sailing without the dodger while it
gets worked on, as long as the sailing conditions are decent.

I recently visited live aboard friends who built a wrap-around dodger
using Strataglass for their center cockpit, and also rebuilt my dodger
with Strataglass about 5 years ago. I asked why theirs looked "like
new" while mine is rather dingy. His comment was "cleaning every two
weeks." I have to confess that he probably cleans his about 10 (maybe
20) times more often than I clean mine.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
[...]

According to the website, it looks like it should be cleaned every 1-2
months. I typically get a lot of salt spray, so probably 1/month at a
minimum seems about right.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:19:27 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

According to the website, it looks like it should be cleaned every 1-2
months. I typically get a lot of salt spray, so probably 1/month at a
minimum seems about right.

If you just spray it down with fresh water at end of day that will
help a lot.

There are some cleaners, usually those with ammonia, that will turn
plastic cloudy. That's why it's important to use only the
Strataglass products and keep everything else away.