Default WiFi (was) under way

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:44:17 -0700, Gordon wrote:

Specifically I'd like to know what steps are required to configure the
Ubiquiti bridge to a new SSID and re-establish conection to the
below decks router/AP. I'm sure that must be documented somewhere but
I haven't found it yet.

I just installed a NS2. followed the directions on this site.
http://blog.dankim.com/2009/07/28/wifi-cruising/
Gordon

Thanks, very helpful. Have you tried setting up an onboard router/AP
yet? If so, do you need to move the ethernet cable back and forth
between the router and laptop when you reconfigure to a new SSID?

Hi, Wayne,

No, configure both as routers, DHCP enabled, which will pass the signals
through.

I use sequential end numbers - 14 bullet, 15 vonage, 16 Linksys dot 1 - so
that it's easy to segregate, and keep all three up, as tabs on the same
browser page (Firefox - Bullet doesn't talk to Chrome, my default), so
toggling between them is easy.

So, my defaults are the main page (to verify connection, strength, and
packet traffic), link setup (for scanning and power adjustment - hitting
"select" opens a new browser window, which closes when you make your
selection) and the client page on the Linksys (so I can see who's on it,
bounce those who've not done the courtesy of coming to see us - and, if it
happens 5 times in a row, blocking them).

Because Vonage is not a passive passthrough, I have it as one of my LAN
ports on the Linksys. If I were willing to let it run all the time (I
don't turn it on when the signal's not strong enough - a rare occurrence
this trip; maybe cuz of the way I now have my mast top stuff installed?),
however, (witness the number above), it would pass the signal through to the
Linksys. All being passthrough, you can interrogate each that way.

Bob (Hi, Bob, cc ,) wrote me recently and said to
tell folks to email him, as he has some available, just not assured stock,
so the web page shows delay. If you talked to him in the last couple of
days, I presume that means that his current stock sold out quickly.

However, your questions make my point about why someone should buy from him
instead of brewing their own. If you ain't got the chops, he'll make sure
it's right (sets it up before he sends it) and talk you through any
challenges, rather than wandering around in the wilderness (as I did for 2
years, albeit with pieces of junk that NOBODY could make work, even some who
had the exact same units, from three newsgroups devoted to those sorts of
things, before Bob came, literally, to my rescue - free, just being a
helpful newsgroup participant - and thus my seemingly slavish fealty to his
program; he's been an invaluable resource beyond my initial foray into
success with the LiteStation2 [which he told me where to buy, not from him,
yet!] through today).

We're going to enjoy Hopetown today so I don't know whether I'll get any pix
up, but check in my gallery for a heading of WiFi - one of the sections will
be site scans. Since we got within 6 miles of land, we've never been
without a connection from Spanish Cay south, under way and at anchor - and,
technically, the same applied from Saint Simons Island south to Lake Worth.
The picture of the Daytona Beach area scan takes two screens to capture -
over 70 sites, from a few miles offshore!.

L8R

Skip and crew

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)