Bob Bob is offline

Default under way

On Oct 15, 6:16*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:16:48 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

So what will I do with a 1600 ton ocean master license......... Ill
tell ya in a year when Im doing it

Starting from something like a 100 GRT Near Coastal ticket, what does
it take to become a mate or skipper on a 200 to 300 footer?

Hi Wayne:
This is the place ya need to go for details

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists.asp

The length measure is a bit deciving. Chouest has soem 185 foot crew
boats all under 100 grt. Ive seen a few 200' utility boats all under
100grt and the tub im on at 185 feet is 983 grt.

One thing about the upper level licenses (500-1600 grt) is the Near
Coast requires 180 days as AB on boats over 100 grt. Thats what im
working on now. The Ocean mate doesnt mention anyting about sailiing
as an AB but does have 360 days as a M/M with 180 as m/m on boats over
100grt. There is another way listed too: 1080 on boats over 200grt
with 180 days as AB. The USCG gives several ways to satisfy the
requirments. But as old sink a boat Joe here said, its not the license
its what you have done while holding that license thatll get ya the
job. Although, what Ive been told by my captains, as a 500/1600 ton
mate ya can pretty well just hire on as a greenhorn.

There are definatly some ways to tweek the licensing structure/CFRs to
"maxamize" youre seatime but thats best left as a pm

Well, did my online courses this morning, just paid my bills, now to
head to the beach and swim off the sweat and watch the sun set.

AKA Bob

Nah, Great anchorage (see the spot hybrid) and close enough to dink easily.
We're going to town and the lighthouse and maybe the reefs on the other
side - do you know if there's an easy walk from the northern harbour?

L8R

Skip, off to bed after watching Waterland, not the least bit seagoing :{))

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:20:00 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

At the Parrot Cays, great sail from Garden/Sandy Cays, beam/close reach in
14-17 apparent, 5.8 genny only, anchored in ~11' close to high tide. 43
sites to choose from over our wifi, Vonage call to my son just completed.
Lovin' it in the Bahamas/Abacos!!

You should really go into Hope Town while you're right there. Great
place, usually room to anchor somewhere, entrance should be OK for you
at half tide or better if you follow the deep water route along the
shore.

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Nah, Great anchorage (see the spot hybrid) and close enough to dink
easily.
We're going to town and the lighthouse and maybe the reefs on the other
side - do you know if there's an easy walk from the northern harbour?

Definitely an easy walk. But do walk around the settlement some. It's quaint
and some good places to eat.

I told you you shouldn't miss the Abacos. You could spend a couple or more
years sailing Between the Abacos and the Exumas and never tire of it. Be
sure to visit Spanish Wells. It's just a hop, skip and a jump over some open
water. You could spend several days there exploring and then sail back to
the Hub of the Abacos. Also make sure to visit Little Harbor and Cherokee.

Enjoy.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Nah, Great anchorage (see the spot hybrid) and close enough to dink
easily.
We're going to town and the lighthouse and maybe the reefs on the other
side - do you know if there's an easy walk from the northern harbour?

Definitely an easy walk. But do walk around the settlement some. It's
quaint and some good places to eat.

I told you you shouldn't miss the Abacos. You could spend a couple or more
years sailing Between the Abacos and the Exumas and never tire of it. Be
sure to visit Spanish Wells. It's just a hop, skip and a jump over some
open water. You could spend several days there exploring and then sail
back to the Hub of the Abacos. Also make sure to visit Little Harbor and
Cherokee.

Enjoy.

Wilbur Hubbard

Hi, Wilbur, and list,

According to every chart we've looked at, getting into Spanish Wells looks
out of the question for us with 7' (before we added all these provisions to
miss the triple prices here - example, Oreos [one indulgence] at $8 vs $3,
OJ [another indulgence] at $6 vs 1.98, same brand/size - but we're having to
buy that here, as it doesn't keep or come in on the plane with my son on
Monday like the oreos are :{)) so we may have to figure out someplace else
to be thrilled with in Eluethera).

Thanks for the advice, however. Having finally located a local who was able
to point us, we're having a great time in the Marsh Harbour neighborhood.

Unless we can figure out how to do SW (and might do it on the way back,
anyway), we'll give E'ra a miss on the way down, and head straight to
Highbourne and then to Norman, thence to the Staniel area for our next
visitors.

However, we're going to be here for at least a year, and won't miss E'ra on
the way back up. Still not scared of the 'canes :{)) - and VERY glad we're
here, now, cuz nobody else is, virtually. It will be the same zoo in G'town
when we get there, we expect, but we'll head north during the spring and
catch all the lovely places we jumped over last year.

HooNose, we may get so busy here that we leave only to satisfy
customs/immigration. Aside from another $300,.is there any impediment to
another year on the boat? We know that all we have to do is stop into a
local imm/customs to renew the visa...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, enjoying the somewhat cooler weather, but wish the breeze
had kept up - only 5 currently, over a voice quality internet connection
miles from anywhere - which amazes my son, who's a computer geek :{)) When
I get the galleries updated, I'll post some site scans in my pix; you can
see some of the wifi rig current setup scattered throughout the electronics
section in the refit/upgrades section of the SSI refit gallery...

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:03:46 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Skip and Lydia, enjoying the somewhat cooler weather, but wish the breeze
had kept up - only 5 currently, over a voice quality internet connection
miles from anywhere - which amazes my son, who's a computer geek :{))

I talked to your friend Bob at http://islandtimepc.com/ the other day.
Unfortunately he is out of Ubiquiti units right now but told me what
he uses. Found one at Wlanparts.com however and it is on its way
here as we speak. Do you know where I can find an operations guide?
I've only seen the data sheet so far which is not helpful.
Specifically I'd like to know what steps are required to configure the
Ubiquiti bridge to a new SSID and re-establish conection to the
below decks router/AP. I'm sure that must be documented somewhere but
I haven't found it yet.

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

You can go right over the reef through the pass. It's well charted and
easily seen by the depth of the water on the way in as long as the sun isn't
in your eyes. You might have troubles getting into the inner harbor but
there's water enough outside and you can dinghy in. It's a beautiful
settlement with a character all it's own. Amost New Englandish. Ask around
some more and I think others will tell you it is doable even with your
draft.

Thanks for the advice, however. Having finally located a local who was
able to point us, we're having a great time in the Marsh Harbour
neighborhood.

Marsh Harbor is nice and you're there at a good time. Come November it will
start to get very busy. But, with the busyness also comes lots of cruising
sailor activities. Couples have a blast because there are lots of couples to
hang out with. It's easy to get into a routine of sailing most every day
when the winds are good and anchoring off a favorite island each night then
back to "civilization" to get a restaurant meal or some cold alcoholic
beverages. Oh, and if you haven't done it, take the ferry from Marsh to some
of the destinations. The ferry is a great way to relax and enjoy the sights
without the stress of navigating. Used to they sold a week long pass that
was reasonable.

snip

Wilbur Hubbard

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 23:06:02 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

[...]

Both channels, the south entrance and east entrance to Spanish Wells
have been dredged in the last couple of years and now have 7 to 8 ft
at MLW. The probem is on the outer approaches where there are 5 to 6
ft spots. The tide range is 3 ft however so at half tide or better
there is no issue from either direction.

wrote:

Skip and Lydia, enjoying the somewhat cooler weather, but wish the breeze
had kept up - only 5 currently, over a voice quality internet connection
miles from anywhere - which amazes my son, who's a computer geek :{))

I talked to your friend Bob at http://islandtimepc.com/ the other day.
Unfortunately he is out of Ubiquiti units right now but told me what
he uses. Found one at Wlanparts.com however and it is on its way
here as we speak. Do you know where I can find an operations guide?
I've only seen the data sheet so far which is not helpful.
Specifically I'd like to know what steps are required to configure the
Ubiquiti bridge to a new SSID and re-establish conection to the
below decks router/AP. I'm sure that must be documented somewhere but
I haven't found it yet.

I just installed a NS2. followed the directions on this site.
http://blog.dankim.com/2009/07/28/wifi-cruising/
Gordon

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:44:17 -0700, Gordon wrote:

Specifically I'd like to know what steps are required to configure the
Ubiquiti bridge to a new SSID and re-establish conection to the
below decks router/AP. I'm sure that must be documented somewhere but
I haven't found it yet.

I just installed a NS2. followed the directions on this site.
http://blog.dankim.com/2009/07/28/wifi-cruising/
Gordon

Thanks, very helpful. Have you tried setting up an onboard router/AP
yet? If so, do you need to move the ethernet cable back and forth
between the router and laptop when you reconfigure to a new SSID?