Default Hey there!

I just joined this group and wanted to let everyone know. I bought
albin vega(smal swedish sail boat) this summer and I'd like to get
some tips about "guality" sailing...

On Sep 27, 6:30*pm, chandglider wrote:
I just joined this group and wanted to let everyone know. I bought
albin vega(smal swedish sail boat) this summer and I'd like to get
some tips about "guality" sailing...

You made a great choice of a boat for that size range. It's way more
capable than you probably are at this point. They have even made
circumnavigations.

I've never heard of "guality" sailing so I can't help you there.

If you would like advice about where to go, it would help to tell us
where your homeport is.

If you would like advice about staying alive, one of the major pre-
requisites for boating enjoyment, you'll probably get more useful

Roger Long
mmc mmc is offline

"chandglider" wrote in message
I just joined this group and wanted to let everyone know. I bought
albin vega(smal swedish sail boat) this summer and I'd like to get
some tips about "guality" sailing...

One of the best tips I ever heard given is that if you're not already
sailors, invest in classes for at least yourself and significant other. Kids
too if you got them and can swing it.
It will "invest" the family in the activity by making it more interesting
and cut down on a lot of friction between the crew members.
That friction has sunk more than one mans dreams of sailing. Enough abrasive
captaining can quickly lead to "me or that &^^%** boat!"

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"chandglider" wrote in message
I just joined this group and wanted to let everyone know. I bought
albin vega(smal swedish sail boat) this summer and I'd like to get
some tips about "guality" sailing...

One of the best tips I ever heard given is that if you're not already
sailors, invest in classes for at least yourself and significant other.
Kids too if you got them and can swing it.
It will "invest" the family in the activity by making it more interesting
and cut down on a lot of friction between the crew members.
That friction has sunk more than one mans dreams of sailing. Enough
abrasive captaining can quickly lead to "me or that &^^%** boat!"

Definitely.. and don't skim by just going yourself (assuming you have an
SO). Both people need to be competent.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

mmc mmc is offline

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

[...]

Great point John.

mmc wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...
[...]

Second both of them.

Personal stuff...

I've written a few "ships rules" (avoids calling them Captain's Orders)
for my family and friends.

One involves when life vests are required to leave the cockpit.

Today we went out and found 20-25 mph winds, gusting occasionally beyond that.

Under reefed main and no jib (brings me back to wanting to dump the roller) we
could point about half as high as normal, but the boat was comfortable.
We sailed about 8 miles down to the dam and back. It was fun. (Better than
yesterday when even the spinnaker hung dead limp.)

20 plus is definitely life jacket winds.

I had to get a bit sharp with my SO, D, to get her attention.

She, the designated foredeck hand today (her choice), kept trying to hop up and
go deal with a line or whatever - without her PFD.

But that is one of the rules *we agreed on*, and it's for our safety.

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
mmc wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...
[...]

Good point about the PFDs. The only times they're not required to be worn on
my boat is when the person is below or the boat is at dock or anchor. My
insurance is pretty picky about it.

Just curious about why you didn't use the jib on the roller (assuming you
had one from your comment). I don't usually reef mine, since it has quite a
high foot and is less than 100%, but I do sometimes. We typically sail in 15
to 25 with higher gusts.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

Good point about the PFDs. The only times they're not required to be worn on
my boat is when the person is below or the boat is at dock or anchor. My
insurance is pretty picky about it.

Just curious about why you didn't use the jib on the roller (assuming you
had one from your comment). I don't usually reef mine, since it has quite a
high foot and is less than 100%, but I do sometimes. We typically sail in 15
to 25 with higher gusts.

Good question, JG.

We are a small boat.

My roller jib is 135%, which is great in moderate winds, but way too big for
cruising in 20-25 (we were not racing today! - conserve the sails and rigging!)

A jib slightly under 100% would have been perfect today.
We would have been able to point higher, and probably gone faster too.

For me, it's about time to choose a path and go that way.

I have a brand new main from Mariner Sails in Dallas.
(First time I've EVER had new sails! - and I like it!)

We (me and my sail maker) have been discussing sails in general -
and my needs in specific. I want to wander off down the Intra-Coastal, with
maybe a jaunt out to the Bahamas (or Cuba, if it opens up!)

So I'm not looking at staying in my home waters.
And I understand that wandering off has the possibility of encountering
that weather stuff. Pick your window, sure, but you have to deal with the
results.

*ALL* of the sail makers that I've asked about this have agreed...
"Reefing" a roller *furling* jib will (underline the Will part) cause the
jib to bag out unevenly.

Unless the sail is specifically built for it - ie: has extra reinforcements at
the furled (rolled) points, the cloth will stretch where it's not supposed to.

My current jib is probably 18 years old - and absolutely shows where it has
been partially rolled in the past. There are three distinct "scallops (for
want of a better term) that coincide with the places where it would be "furled"
for heavier winds.

Anyway, what to do about it all?

Accept the distortion as a cost of convenience?

Or set up with proper sized hank-on sails?
(yes, I do understand that jibs on the roller can be changed - but!)

I have an asymmetrical spinnaker for light air reaching and running.

If I go with hank ons, I would add to that:

A 135% genoa for close reaching and beating to weather.

A 100% working jib for winds up to 20 - 25.

A smaller staysail - 50%? - but set further aft on deck for 25 - 35 mph.
(along with a storm trisail for a main). The staysail would bring the fore
sail's moment aft - closer to the mast (where it belongs), rather than being
all the way forward. Way better balance, and proper gap between fore and main!

And the trisail alone for 30-40.

Above that, I'd have to fess up that I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time
and hope there is sea room down wind to heave to.

With the roller?
I've already learned that I can't reliably roll up the jib in 35 mph winds
without lighting off the motor and heading up. It doesn't take but a minute
and probably less than a 1/8 mile of room, but that's the deal with the roller
in high winds. Will I *always* have the time, room, and motor?

The roller is convenient - if you don't get caught in too big winds.

The hank-ons give the best match to the wind conditions when it blows, but a
bit more work involved.

Now, for what it's worth, most of my sailing is single handed.
Convenience is pretty important.
But so is sailing performance.

I'm still leaning both ways at the same time...

Trying hard to make up my mind - one way or the other...

'Cause I really need a new jib to go with this beautiful main!

Richard

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Today we went out and found 20-25 mph winds, gusting occasionally beyond
that.

Under reefed main and no jib (brings me back to wanting to dump the
roller) we
could point about half as high as normal, but the boat was comfortable.
We sailed about 8 miles down to the dam and back. It was fun. (Better
than yesterday when even the spinnaker hung dead limp.)

20 plus is definitely life jacket winds.

Under reefed main and no jib and with a stiff breeze stirring upthe waves
you might find it hard to avoid getting into irons when going about.
If you have a bit of jib up you can help her around in those conditions.

Edgar wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Today we went out and found 20-25 mph winds, gusting occasionally beyond
that.

Under reefed main and no jib (brings me back to wanting to dump the
roller) we
could point about half as high as normal, but the boat was comfortable.
We sailed about 8 miles down to the dam and back. It was fun. (Better
than yesterday when even the spinnaker hung dead limp.)

20 plus is definitely life jacket winds.

Under reefed main and no jib and with a stiff breeze stirring upthe waves
you might find it hard to avoid getting into irons when going about.
If you have a bit of jib up you can help her around in those conditions.

Didn't encounter that problem, Edgar.
even with some 3 foot wakes (from big power boats).

The only times I've had problems tacking this boat is when sailing large
under jib alone. Close hauled she tacks fine.

Under main only she sails like a Sunfish.
No prob.

Richard