mmc mmc is offline

Default Boat Fire - Lessons to consider

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
In situations like that you do the best you can.

Just accept it and don't worry about the "what ifs".
They will drive you nuts.

Ya done good, John.

Yup... that's all you can do. Tragic outcome.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

One guy makes a mistake that costs him his life as well as some property
damage and this is somehow more tragic than dozens lost off of Sierra Leone?
I read the "poor poeple are perfectly happy" bull**** on the other thread.
Apparently not if they'll go to those lengths to get a better life. Like
those "perfectly happy" Cubans that die trying to make the passage to
Florida.
What are we really crying about here? The loss of dockage?

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
In situations like that you do the best you can.

Just accept it and don't worry about the "what ifs".
They will drive you nuts.

Ya done good, John.

Yup... that's all you can do. Tragic outcome.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

One guy makes a mistake that costs him his life as well as some property
damage and this is somehow more tragic than dozens lost off of Sierra
Leone?
I read the "poor poeple are perfectly happy" bull**** on the other thread.
Apparently not if they'll go to those lengths to get a better life. Like
those "perfectly happy" Cubans that die trying to make the passage to
Florida.
What are we really crying about here? The loss of dockage?

I wasn't making any judgement call and didn't participate in the other
thread.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

mmc mmc is offline

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
[...]

Not pinging on you Jon just wondering about the focus of the majorities
empathy. Should have picked a better spot to respond. Sorry

mmc mmc is offline

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
[...]

John I meant, not Jon.

You You is offline

In article om,
"mmc" wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
In situations like that you do the best you can.

Just accept it and don't worry about the "what ifs".
They will drive you nuts.

Ya done good, John.

Yup... that's all you can do. Tragic outcome.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

One guy makes a mistake that costs him his life as well as some property
damage and this is somehow more tragic than dozens lost off of Sierra Leone?
I read the "poor poeple are perfectly happy" bull**** on the other thread.
Apparently not if they'll go to those lengths to get a better life. Like
those "perfectly happy" Cubans that die trying to make the passage to
Florida.
What are we really crying about here? The loss of dockage?

As far as "I" am concerned, neither of these events could be classed, as
Tragic. They both seem to be just plain Human Stupidity. We, the readers
of these type stories, are so accustomed to our NEWS Reporting adding
superlatives like "Tragic", etc, to our News, that when a truly "Tragic"
Event occurs, and gets reported. There aren't any adjectives that can
describe the event left to use....

In the fire case, the original vessel owner/skipper made a bunch of
errors. The towboat skipper, also made a bunch of errors. which
compounded the situation. The Fire Department, wasn't equipped properly
to fight fire, on that dock, which was a Massive oversight, of their
operational planning. The rest of the folks did the best they could with
the cards they were dealt, and did what was needed to be done, to
terminate the event.

IN the Sierra Leone vessel sinking, it would seem the vessel skipper was
a bit over optimistic, (Being very Politically Correct here) on the
amount of overloading his vessel could handle, given the weather
conditions, and seas he encountered. The passengers, were certainly
being totally oblivious of that obvious fact, of the overloading of the
vessel. The Government Authority seems to be oblivious to the danger of
this type of transportation idiocy. So, who is to blame... All of the
above...

Seems like Darwin Theory in action.... Survival of the fittest......
or of the Less Stupid.... Tragic, to me would seem to cover things that
happen, that one, has NO control Over. Like Acts of God, etc.... but if
one has even a second or third degree of decision making in any part of
the event, you can't call it "Tragic"....

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
[...]

No worries... sad situation in both cases... a death is a death.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

mmc mmc is offline

"You" wrote in message
In article om,
"mmc" wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't been in Sierra Leone but I have worked in Guinea where we rode
ferries (mix of OLD actual vehicle ferries and landing craft) that were
loaded to capacity with vehicles and then standing passengers packed like
sardines in all the open spaces. So many people you couldn't get out of the
vehicle. Was it unsafe, you betcha! Was there another way across the river?
Yeah, swim.
Deeper in the jungle the ferries became somewhat simpler, we did one that
was a trio of big dugouts with heavy planks laid accross sideways. Again, if
you need to get to the other side...
Guinea, when I was there, was heads and tails over SL in every aspect and
you might see a couple of soldiers hanging out at the landings but no
"Government Authority" in sight.
First world ideas and ideals are great but they don't fit everywhere. Not
everyone can afford them.
As for the guy that died horribly after filling his boat, have you ever made
a mistake? Should you have died screaming because of your mistake?
That's a little harsh, isn't it?

Seems like Darwin Theory in action.... Survival of the fittest......
or of the Less Stupid.... Tragic, to me would seem to cover things that
happen, that one, has NO control Over. Like Acts of God, etc.... but if
one has even a second or third degree of decision making in any part of
the event, you can't call it "Tragic"....

You You is offline

In article m,
"mmc" wrote:

As for the guy that died horribly after filling his boat, have you ever made
a mistake? Should you have died screaming because of your mistake?
That's a little harsh, isn't it?

Harsh? You Bet... Life is tough, and then you DIE..... Yep, The guy
should, and did, DIE, because he made "a Mistake", actually he made a
couple of mistakes, and the accumulated consequences of these mistakes,
KILLED Him.....

1. He didn't understand the nature of the technology he was using...
He didn't understand that Gasoline Fumes were explosive,,,
2. He didn't turn on the Bilge Blower for 10 minutes to clear the
fumes..... or the Bilge Blower wasn't working....
3. He didn't have a Fire Extinguisher in the Engineroom, OR he didn't
have one big enough, to put out the fire....

These things are REQUIRED Knowledge, for Gasoline Powered Vessel Owners,
and when one doesn't acquire the requisite Knowledge, for safe operation
of a technology, then one sets themselves up, for the consequences,
intended, or unintended, of their own choices.....

Being Stupid, doesn't remove the liability for the consequences of ones
choices, or actions..... It only makes them more inevitable....

On Sep 16, 8:37*am, "mmc" wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

snippedNot pinging on you Jon just wondering about the focus of the
majorities
empathy. Should have picked a better spot to respond. Sorry snipped

I did not notice any minority aspect of it. As I noted earlier, this
brought back memories for me that I would rather forget, although they
probably help me remember to always be careful with gasoline. No
apology required.

take care . . .

John

I used to sail a lot on a boat with an old Atomic 4. We were really, really
careful, especially during fueling.

"John" wrote in message
On Sep 16, 8:37 am, "mmc" wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

snippedNot pinging on you Jon just wondering about the focus of the
majorities
empathy. Should have picked a better spot to respond. Sorry snipped

I did not notice any minority aspect of it. As I noted earlier, this
brought back memories for me that I would rather forget, although they
probably help me remember to always be careful with gasoline. No
apology required.

take care . . .

John

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Boat Fire - Lessons to consider John Cruising 0 September 14th 09 10:25 AM
Fire Boat - DELAWARE 10-08c.jpg Canal Lee Tall Ship Photos 1 October 30th 08 12:04 PM
Fire Boat - DELAWARE 10-08.jpg Canal Lee Tall Ship Photos 1 October 30th 08 10:23 AM
Boat Fire - PNW Ron General 6 May 30th 07 08:47 PM
Boat Yard Fire Bart ASA 1 December 14th 06 12:06 AM