Default Captains License?

Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

Pro: You're bound to learn something worth knowing in preparing for the
test.

Con: What the Government giveth, the Government can taketh away. And being a
"Professional" carries an extra load of responsibility should the fan go
"splat!"

Alternative: Take the course, refuse the license.

--
KLC Lewis

Irrefutable photographic proof of alien visitations!
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

Pro: You're bound to learn something worth knowing in preparing for the
test.

Con: What the Government giveth, the Government can taketh away. And being
a "Professional" carries an extra load of responsibility should the fan go
"splat!"

Alternative: Take the course, refuse the license.

--
KLC Lewis

Irrefutable photographic proof of alien visitations!
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

This is basically correct.

Additional pros.. personal satisfaction, if you desire to teach through a
reputable program, you will almost certainly be required to have the minimum
license (OUPV = Six pack).

Additional con.. there are costs associated with getting a license, e.g.,
the TWIC card (~$135/5 yrs.) and CG licensing fees ($200 one-time, then a
renewal every 5 years of less than that), not to mention insurance cost
difference. Oh, and there's a diff in the legal alcohol limit.

https://twicprogram.tsa.dhs.gov/TWICWebApp/
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"slide" wrote in message
cavelamb wrote:
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

I would take the course if one were offered near me just to gain the
information. Self study isn't always good enough because you don't know
what to study.

Legal: in theory, you will have more expertise than others so in some
instances you can't plead ignorance.

Self study is valuable, but taking the class would give a wider perspective
to the rules of the road, plotting, etc., than is gained otherwise, IMHO.

As far as legal goes, I would amend your statement to say in "most"
instances if you're the person in command.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

slide wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

I would take the course if one were offered near me just to gain the
information. Self study isn't always good enough because you don't know
what to study.

Legal: in theory, you will have more expertise than others so in some
instances you can't plead ignorance.

No argument about that...

I started out with a Coast Guard ticket in the mid '70s while on
active duty in the Navy.

In the last year I've taken most of the ASA classes.
My next step with ASA is an instructor rating .

I was thinking about the 6pack course to get a Captains ticket,
but I don't really need it for what I'm doing.

It is not needed to teach through ASA.

Still considering it, but will probably pass this time.
Maybe some day though...

But I'm curious how many of our local experts have a Captains license?
Or even training from a school like ASA?

Richard

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

A captain's license by itself these days does not qualify you to receive pay
from passengers.

The Big Brother govt. recently added another requirement that makes a
stand-alone captain's license good for wiping your arse and that's about it.

You will need to subject yourself to a govt. dog and pony show (much of it
duplicating captain's license requirements) to get the required
Transportation Workers Identification Credential card to make your captain's
license legal for carrying passengers for hire.

Tell Big Brother to go **** himself like I did.

Wilbur Hubbard

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

You can lie about your past drug abuse, and still get your license.

You can pick up a lot of guys in the sailing classes that you teach. Those
young studs will really be impressed with your license.

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
slide wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Most schools, either ASA or USSailing, will require a CG license if you're
teaching on a boat with an engine.

50GT here with sailing and towing endorsements.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
slide wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Not mentioned on the ASA site...
http://www.asa.com/instructors/instructor_clinics.html

US Sailing requirements...
http://training.ussailing.org/Teachi...rerequ isites

Candidates holding a current USCG full or limited Master's or OUPV license are
exempt from this requirement. Candidates have a responsibility to meet the
boating laws of the state where the course is being held prior to being able to
operate a powerboat in conjunction with the course. This is a new requirement.
Please bring your certificate to the course.