Default Captains License?

"ElmerF." wrote in message ...

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

You can lie about your past drug abuse, and still get your license.

You can pick up a lot of guys in the sailing classes that you teach.
Those young studs will really be impressed with your license.

Well, what do you know, a Gaynze sock!

Wilbur Hubbard

JG,

Sorry if that came across as abrupt.
I was interrupted by the dinner bell.

I suspect the requirements don't include a Captains ticket
because one would be working under the umbrella of the school.

If one were to open a new school, you would probably be right.

Richard

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
slide wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?
I would take the course if one were offered near me just to gain the
information. Self study isn't always good enough because you don't know
what to study.

Legal: in theory, you will have more expertise than others so in some
instances you can't plead ignorance.
No argument about that...

I started out with a Coast Guard ticket in the mid '70s while on
active duty in the Navy.

In the last year I've taken most of the ASA classes.
My next step with ASA is an instructor rating .

I was thinking about the 6pack course to get a Captains ticket,
but I don't really need it for what I'm doing.

It is not needed to teach through ASA.

Still considering it, but will probably pass this time.
Maybe some day though...

But I'm curious how many of our local experts have a Captains license?
Or even training from a school like ASA?

Richard

Most schools, either ASA or USSailing, will require a CG license if
you're teaching on a boat with an engine.

50GT here with sailing and towing endorsements.

Not mentioned on the ASA site...
http://www.asa.com/instructors/instructor_clinics.html

US Sailing requirements...
http://training.ussailing.org/Teachi...rerequ isites

Candidates holding a current USCG full or limited Master's or OUPV license
are exempt from this requirement. Candidates have a responsibility to meet
the boating laws of the state where the course is being held prior to
being able to operate a powerboat in conjunction with the course. This is
a new requirement. Please bring your certificate to the course.

Interesting that it isn't. It's a Federal requirement (USCG).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
JG,

Sorry if that came across as abrupt.
I was interrupted by the dinner bell.

I suspect the requirements don't include a Captains ticket
because one would be working under the umbrella of the school.

If one were to open a new school, you would probably be right.

Richard

Not at all... I have my priorities also.

The school requires it, generally. I can't think of a commercial school that
doesn't. One of them didn't know about the TWIC requirement (it was fairly
hidden at the beginning), but as soon as they learned about it, they
broadcast it to the instructors.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
JG,

Sorry if that came across as abrupt.
I was interrupted by the dinner bell.

I suspect the requirements don't include a Captains ticket
because one would be working under the umbrella of the school.

If one were to open a new school, you would probably be right.

Richard

Not at all... I have my priorities also.

The school requires it, generally. I can't think of a commercial school that
doesn't. One of them didn't know about the TWIC requirement (it was fairly
hidden at the beginning), but as soon as they learned about it, they
broadcast it to the instructors.

I'll call the school owner tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
JG,

Sorry if that came across as abrupt.
I was interrupted by the dinner bell.

I suspect the requirements don't include a Captains ticket
because one would be working under the umbrella of the school.

If one were to open a new school, you would probably be right.

Richard

Not at all... I have my priorities also.

The school requires it, generally. I can't think of a commercial school
that doesn't. One of them didn't know about the TWIC requirement (it was
fairly hidden at the beginning), but as soon as they learned about it,
they broadcast it to the instructors.

I'll call the school owner tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

Probably a good idea... I do know one place out here that lets you "work"
while you get your license. They typically have you on non-powered boats or
shadowing a licensed instructor. Same thing goes with ASA/USSailing certs.
You "work" off someone else's cert until you get yours. I believe USSailing
gives them 16 mos., but don't quote me.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
slide wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Only if taking "compensation".

Otherwise, it's not required...

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
slide wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Of course. Most USSailing and ASA courses are for money.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
slide wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Probably. I've not paid anything for my ratings, but that's a
special case. The owner is a good friend and just wanted me to
be able to teach.

Altruism is so suspect these days.

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
slide wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
[...]

I agree with that for sure. As long as you or the company isn't being paid
(or no engine or in a couple of other special situations), then there's no
doubt you can teach without a license. I volunteer a lot these days, which
is good for me and, one hopes, the students who can't afford a regular
class.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com