Default Harken Version 2 model 2-187 Furler for sale

You are buying a used Harken Model 2-187 roller furler. This unit has
performed flawlessly for us and the prior owner, with the below noted
exception. Other than that we elected to replace our standing
rigging, we would still be using this unit. However, "in for a penny,
in for a pound" so to speak, we replaced this workhorse at the same
time.

This is a cruising-racing unit, with dual slots in the foil. Our sail
had a 53'8" luff, but depending on how you mounted it, it could take
more. That's because it comes with straps which extend the mounting
point up to 6" below the standard chain plate mounting point, and the
top rotating part was well under the top of the foil, as shown in the
wear points in the photos. Less than a year ago, a weld failed at the
top of the furler (just under the fair lead for the bolt rope). The
furler was taken off for rewelding (seen as the black area in the top
of the furler drum area), and pronounced sound by a noted rigger in
Portland, Maine, so we went ahead and spent the $700 to have it done
right. That has been the only issue in our use, and as the prior
owner kept detailed logs, I'm reasonably confident that there were no
prior issues.

This unit and foils has been disassembled. The very extensive picture
gallery of its removal and parts as ready to ship or pick up can be
found at http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/...dispsize=6 40
(cut and paste if this doesn’t show up as a link!). If you're not
familiar with how a furler sets up, these pictures should easily show
you all the details. As well, I have the maintenance manual in pdf
form I'll email to you.

In order to disassemble this unit and the foils, you have to drive
pins from the bearings - the interior sections which hold the foil
sections together. Included with this sale is replacement pins from
Harken, and the instructions on how to use them. The instructions
make reference to other supplies beyond pins; they are NOT included
with this sale but are readily available. The bearings were difficult
to remove, and of the 7 sections, each 7' long, plus the fairlead and
top sections (each much shorter), 4 would not release the bearings.
That means that some of the foils will have the bearings attached to
one end; the other 4 bearings are out and ready for reinsertion on
your assembly. In the course of removing the bearings, some force was
applied to the ends of the foils; being soft aluminum, some minor
deformation occurred. Any such deformation has been faired so that
the furler will hoist and furl fair. However, it would be a simple
matter, if it was of concern, to shorten the given foil by the tiny
amount involved and drill new holes for the pins supplied.

Harken supplies a StaLok/Norseman equivalent end for their turnbuckle
(which is accessible by removing some screws and lifting the furler
drum). Pictures show that this is in good condition with no rust and
soft polysulfide in the joint. We cut our forestay at the top of the
furler so as to leave you some wire to work with when you open that
fitting; of course, you'll use your own forestay when it's installed.

Shipping will be challenging, as the foils box is close to 8' long
(making it oversized for any but common carrier shippers) and, in our
new (single slot) installation, weighed 42 pounds. The new furler we
bought weighed 28 pounds; I expect this will be heavier. So, shipping
will have to be determined depending on where you are and your
preferred method; you could contact your preferred shipper and find
out what those two packages would be from 31522 if you'd like. Or,
you can pick it up on the dock in Saint Simons Island, GA!

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have - you can write to me
directly at . Also feel free, if you're so
inclined, to wander around the rest of my gallery and you can see what
else we've done to our home, as well as see many pictures of the
furler in action. If you're within a reasonable distance, you can
also come have a first-hand look before I box it up.

Harken no longer makes a dual purpose (racing and cruising) furler,
but the single-foil version (same Version 2, but cruising only) is
right at $2000 in this configuration. Snap it up at only $400, and
I'll even throw in the 100' furling line new in the bag that Harken
provided us with our new unit.

We won't be taking this with us, so someone will have a workhorse
furler, very soon. Come and get it!

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Stamp out Sesquipedalianism

Couple of things:

Identify yourself as one of this group and it's $300, not $400 OR
(choose one) I'll ship it (furling line NIB included, a $100 value at
West Marine) anywhere in the US free.

Please drop me a note , as specified in my
posting) for any questions or followup either as copy of what you may
write here (if of general interest) or directly (to minimize clutter
of an individual nature). I can't adequately express how much I prefer
email to web-based activity...

If you're feeling luckier than snapping it up, you can also bid on it
on eBay item #1263810775. That auction ends next Sunday, so it will
be gone, however that may be, by that time.

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Stamp out Sesquipedalianism

SOLD!

L8R

Skip

found athttp://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/index.php?mode=album&album=Harken...
[...]

Is the Harken Roller Furler still available?

Thank you.

"StuMGB" wrote in message
Is the Harken Roller Furler still available?

Thank you.

Sorry - I posted a SOLD followup to that a few days later...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)