Bob Bob is offline

Default Rope boat fender info pls

Hi All:

So we parted a 2 1/2 inch three strand nylon liine a few days. I
wanted to splice one of those rope boat finders out of it. The boat is
900+ grt/200' so think large scale.................

But nobody know how here. I Did an online search but got no where
fast. Do any of you have a really good , how to tie a knot, website
that includes a couple ways to build a fender?

It would really make my day if yould post a link here.
Thanks
Bob

PS
I learned today that Baracuda dont like BBQ chicken............
Ill try potato salad 2maro

"Bob" wrote:

So we parted a 2 1/2 inch three strand nylon liine a few days. I
wanted to splice one of those rope boat finders out of it. The boat
is
900+ grt/200' so think large scale.................

Have you tried Ashley?

Lew

Bil Bil is offline

On Jun 19, 10:00*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Bob" wrote:
So we parted a 2 1/2 inch three strand nylon liine a few days. I
wanted to splice one of those rope boat finders out of it. The boat

Have you tried Ashley?

Clifford said to read pages 555 - 558, from pudding onwards.

Bil

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:56:37 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

Hi All:

So we parted a 2 1/2 inch three strand nylon liine a few days. I
wanted to splice one of those rope boat finders out of it. The boat is
900+ grt/200' so think large scale.................

But nobody know how here. I Did an online search but got no where
fast. Do any of you have a really good , how to tie a knot, website
that includes a couple ways to build a fender?

It would really make my day if yould post a link here.
Thanks
Bob

PS
I learned today that Baracuda dont like BBQ chicken............
Ill try potato salad 2maro

Try http://picasaweb.google.com/avdsalm1...erTheMakingOf#
for some information.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

Hi All:

So we parted a 2 1/2 inch three strand nylon liine a few days. I
wanted to splice one of those rope boat finders out of it. The boat is
900+ grt/200' so think large scale.................

But nobody know how here. I Did an online search but got no where
fast. Do any of you have a really good , how to tie a knot, website
that includes a couple ways to build a fender?

It would really make my day if yould post a link here.
Thanks
Bob

PS
I learned today that Baracuda dont like BBQ chicken............
Ill try potato salad 2maro

Try http://picasaweb.google.com/avdsalm1...erTheMakingOf#
for some information.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Wow... nice but looks like a lot of work!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:53:27 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

There is something called a Yokahama fender. Steel frame covered with
tires, maybe ten feet long. They cost something like fifteen grand ten
years ago.

Casady

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

For BIG yachts :-)

On Jun 20, 10:46*am, Richard Casady wrote:

There is something called a Yokahama fender. Steel frame covered with
tires, maybe ten feet long. They cost something like fifteen grand ten
years ago.

Nah. Yokos are just giant pneumatic fenders. Originally invented by
the Yokohama Rubber Company, hence the name. These days many Yokos are
made in China, not by YRC.

Some do Yokos have a protective cage of tyres around them, but the
fender proper is just a giant pneumatic fender with a pressure around
7 psi.

You can see Yokos at most big ports for ship to dock fendering.
Floating Yokos are also used for ship to ship fendering.

Keith Loutit's 'Bathtub V' T http://vimeo.com/5137183 likely shows
Yokos. Fun to watch anyway.

Bob wrote:

Hi All:

So we parted a 2 1/2 inch three strand nylon liine a few days. I
wanted to splice one of those rope boat finders out of it. The boat is
900+ grt/200' so think large scale.................

But nobody know how here. I Did an online search but got no where
fast. Do any of you have a really good , how to tie a knot, website
that includes a couple ways to build a fender?

It would really make my day if yould post a link here.
Thanks
Bob

PS
I learned today that Baracuda dont like BBQ chicken............
Ill try potato salad 2maro

The sennit around a rope fencer is a series of crown knots. Variations
are generally in how to start and finish.
Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

What you want is illustrated in "Marlinspike Sailor", a probable 'out
of print' book highly illustrating how to do maritime 'fancy rope
work'.

Such rope fenders are essentially an 'expanded Stevedore Knot' tied
over sufficient flattened coils (to 'bulk up' the ID of the knot) to
get to the desired diameter of the fender. In the 'fender form' of
the 'stevedore knot' the 'return line' goes down the 'center' of the
knot instead of 'outside' Another way to describe the 'Stevedore'
is simply a 'figure of eight' with 'MANY turns' around the 'outside'.

You can also use a 'hangmans knot' ( but with the inside tail over the
'first' coil so that the tail end of the knot cant pass through the
inside) ... using many 'loops' inside the 'outside coils' to get to
the bulk/diameter you desire.

:-)

Rope fender and ladder patebro Boat Building 5 August 2nd 07 02:02 AM
boat fender [email protected] General 0 April 13th 07 09:15 AM
boat fender [email protected] Cruising 0 April 13th 07 09:14 AM
seeking a boat hoist rope crank for kayak MrC General 9 February 27th 06 04:46 PM
Fender Stickers for your Boat Trailer Bill Cole General 4 September 12th 03 09:19 PM