BoatBanter.com

-   -   Off to the Bahamas (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/106804-off-bahamas.html)

Wayne.B June 10th 09 02:27 PM

Off to the Bahamas

We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

HK June 10th 09 02:37 PM

Off to the Bahamas

Wayne.B wrote:
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

What a thrill. I can hardly wait.

--
The modern GOP is little more than an army of moral absolutists led by a
gang of moral nihilists.

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_6_] June 10th 09 02:51 PM

Off to the Bahamas

HK wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

What a thrill. I can hardly wait.

Let's see here..... do must people reading rec.boats want to hear about
Harry's changing the oil in his lawn mower, pumping out his septic tank
and looking at his UPS shipment travel across country, or keep up with
someone who is boating ......

hmmmmmmmmmmm

--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

This Newsgroup post is a natural product. The slight variations in
spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in
no way are to be considered flaws or defects

John June 10th 09 03:01 PM

Off to the Bahamas

On Jun 10, 9:51*am, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:
HK wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. * Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiady...

What a thrill. I can hardly wait.

Let's see here..... do must people reading rec.boats want to hear about
Harry's changing the oil in his lawn mower, pumping out his septic tank
and looking at his UPS shipment travel across country, or keep up with
someone who is boating ......

You know, I have never met the guy, but Wayne is one of the better
posters here, remaining polite and on topic. If you aren't
interested, that's fine. I can understand impatience with some
posters here, but if someone with a good track record posts something
that doesn't meet your interest, consider cutting him or her some
slack. None of us are under obiligation to respond to every post.

Get out on the boat . . . you'll feel better . . . I do 99.999% of the
time.

John

[email protected] June 10th 09 03:02 PM

Off to the Bahamas

On Jun 10, 9:37*am, HK wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. * Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiady...

What a thrill. I can hardly wait.

Really. We'd all MUCH rather hear you lie about every aspect of your
life.

jim7 June 10th 09 03:04 PM

Off to the Bahamas

HK wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

What a thrill. I can hardly wait.

Jealous? Wayne can do. You can only dream.

Eisboch[_4_] June 10th 09 03:05 PM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

That's pretty cool. I checked on your progress last night.
How come you were going in circles?

Eisboch

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_6_] June 10th 09 03:07 PM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote:
HK wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

John,
You must have misread my post, I do believe most people would be
interested in someone who is boating, vs someone who bores us with post
of his septic tank, lawn mower oil changes and keeps us up to date on
his UPS shipments. These are everyday post from Harry Krause who made
the post 'What a thrill. I can hardly wait".

My comment was very tongue in cheek about Harry's comment, not about
Wayne's.

John June 10th 09 03:15 PM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote:
HK wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

no way are to be considered flaws or defects- Hide quoted text -

You are 100% right. After re-reading the posts, I see that I misread
it and I apologize to you. Maybe I need boat time even more than I
recognized.

Fair winds . . .

John

Dennis Pogson[_2_] June 10th 09 04:58 PM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

It's much easier from the other side of Florida, isn't it?

Dennis.

Wilbur Hubbard June 10th 09 08:16 PM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...fKADAn2Dkz os

Cool, it looks like he's making good progress. Since the winds in the area
are light and variable he must be motoring just like Skippy always does.

It looks like he's coming my way. It will be interesting to see if he takes
the Yacht Channel and proceeds out into Hawk Channel and the Straits of
Florida via the Channel Five bridge or if he heads up the Intracoastal
Waterway to Miami before jumping off to the Bahamas. This time of year, with
thunderstorms popping up everywhere most every morning and afternoon he'd
probably be better off motoring up the Intracoastal and waiting in Miami for
some rare, steady winds for the crossing.

But, if he's like Skippy he'll wait until a flat calm day and motor across
with sails flapping for show.

Wilbur Hubbard

MMC June 10th 09 08:21 PM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

Sanibel? Ever read Randy Wayne White?
Have a good trip!

Don White June 10th 09 08:27 PM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Sailing?? ~~ Snerk ~~
Wayne gave up being a sailor years ago. Now he sits in his comfy seat at
the helm of a trawler type cruiser...... doesn't even get his hair mussed,
no mater what the conditions.

Wilbur Hubbard June 10th 09 08:35 PM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:16:42 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Nitwit. Wayne's boat is a Grand Banks 49. Of course, he's motoring.
DUH!

Frigging atmosphere and water polluting trawler! That's gross!

It ain't "cruising" (RBC) unless it's under sail. Get a clue, mon! He needs
to find the right newsgroup to post his motorboat crap. Rec.boats is
suitable. Perhaps there's a rec.boats.trawlers?

Wilbur Hubbard

[email protected] June 10th 09 08:41 PM

Off to the Bahamas

On Jun 10, 3:27*pm, "Don White" wrote:
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

anews.com...

.. .

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...glId=0utTAiady....

[...]

no mater what the conditions.- Hide quoted text -

Jealousy is a bitter pill, huh dummy?

Wilbur Hubbard June 10th 09 08:45 PM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Yah right! Tell that to Joe Butcher (Red Cloud) who used to type the same
nonsense about the imagined virtues of a pilot house!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard June 10th 09 08:47 PM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote in message
On Jun 10, 3:27 pm, "Don White" wrote:
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

anews.com...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You shouldn't call Don White a dummy.

--
Gregory Hall

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_6_] June 10th 09 09:41 PM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Don, you and Harry like to talk about your years of boating, but that is
all you do, talk about it.

Wayne.B June 11th 09 12:32 AM

Off to the Bahamas

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:21:01 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

Sanibel? Ever read Randy Wayne White?
Have a good trip!

Doc Ford books. My wife has read them and was very enthused. One
of these days I'll do likewise but first we've got to get all of these
boat chores finished up. :-)

Wayne.B June 11th 09 12:44 AM

Off to the Bahamas

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:01:21 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

Get out on the boat . . . you'll feel better . . . I do 99.999% of the
time.

You're right. I am out on the boat and I do feel better. The
Alaska cruise (courtesy of Princess Lines) was quite nice but there is
really nothing like being out here and plotting your own course.

Wayne.B June 11th 09 12:46 AM

Off to the Bahamas

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:35:03 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

It ain't "cruising" (RBC) unless it's under sail.

That is a misconception held mostly by you it seems.

Wizard of Woodstock June 11th 09 12:55 AM

Off to the Bahamas

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:32:39 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Randy Wayne White

Never heard tell of same.

Oh goodie - I was running out of stuff to read.

WHOO HOO!!

DK June 11th 09 01:32 AM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

And you, dummy, are the proud owner of a rowboat with a 25 on the back.

Wilbur Hubbard June 11th 09 01:42 AM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote:

It ain't "cruising" (RBC) unless it's under sail.

That is a misconception held mostly by you it seems.

I didn't know Sea Bird Marina had Wi-Fi. So, I was right, you do intend to
use the Channel Five bridge.

Wilbur Hubbard

Tim June 11th 09 02:30 AM

Off to the Bahamas

On Jun 10, 8:27*am, Wayne.B wrote:
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. * Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiady....

Have fun, man. I'm glad you can enjoy what you wish to enjoy.

Larry June 11th 09 04:50 AM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote in :

Nitwit. Wayne's boat is a Grand Banks 49. Of course, he's motoring.
DUH!

I suppose he could catch some wind in the bimini...hee hee....(c;]

Thanks, Wayne, for having us aboard!....Geez, the west side of the Keys is
dangerous....

--
-----
Larry

If a man goes way out into the woods all alone and says something,
is it still wrong, even though no woman hears him?

Calif Bill[_2_] June 11th 09 06:29 AM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote:

Randy Wayne White

Never heard tell of same.

Oh goodie - I was running out of stuff to read.

WHOO HOO!!

Sounds great. I have been reading Ted Bell, but ran out of new titles.

MMC June 11th 09 01:28 PM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:21:01 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

Sanibel? Ever read Randy Wayne White?
Have a good trip!

Doc Ford books. My wife has read them and was very enthused. One
of these days I'll do likewise but first we've got to get all of these
boat chores finished up. :-)

He also wrote a non-fiction "Batfishing in the Rain Forest" about traveling
and fishing.
For you other guys, RWW is a retired charter captain from Sanibel.

MMC June 11th 09 01:29 PM

Off to the Bahamas

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:21:01 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

Sanibel? Ever read Randy Wayne White?
Have a good trip!

Doc Ford books. My wife has read them and was very enthused. One
of these days I'll do likewise but first we've got to get all of these
boat chores finished up. :-)

Are they ever finished?

Vic Smith June 12th 09 04:35 AM

Off to the Bahamas

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:27:39 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

Refueling at Freeport?
Looks like you're on a track to there.

--Vic

Wayne.B June 12th 09 02:49 PM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote:

We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

Update, Friday, June 12

We left the Florida Keys yesterday morning at sunrise, headed south
out into the Gulf Stream and got a 3 1/2 knot boost from the stream
most of the day. The stream was as calm as we've ever seen it,
barely a ripple all the way, more like an inland lake with the clouds
reflected in the water. Pulled into Bimini late afternoon and
cleared customs/immigration with no difficulty. The new channel into
Bimini is totally unmarked and uncharted in the finest Bahamian
tradition. We'll be at the Bimini Bay Resort/Marina until noon today.
It's still being developed but looks like they're doing a first class
job. Good WiFi at the office but not on the docks yet.

Wayne.B June 12th 09 03:26 PM

Off to the Bahamas

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 22:35:15 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Refueling at Freeport?
Looks like you're on a track to there.

Believe it or not we may be able to do the entire cruise without
refueling, still have about 720 gallons left out of the original
thousand that we started with. That's not bad considering that we
were hot footing right along at over 10 knots for the first two days.
We'll be running slower now that we're across the Gulf Stream, through
customs, and in island hopping mode. At worst I'll get more fuel in
the Keys on the way home. Diesel is much less expensive in the US
than in the Bahamas. Everything here comes in on small supply boats.

Calif Bill[_2_] June 12th 09 08:55 PM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote:

Refueling at Freeport?
Looks like you're on a track to there.

Believe it or not we may be able to do the entire cruise without
refueling, still have about 720 gallons left out of the original
thousand that we started with. That's not bad considering that we
were hot footing right along at over 10 knots for the first two days.
We'll be running slower now that we're across the Gulf Stream, through
customs, and in island hopping mode. At worst I'll get more fuel in
the Keys on the way home. Diesel is much less expensive in the US
than in the Bahamas. Everything here comes in on small supply boats.

But Freeport is a refinery town. Should be better price there.

Tim June 15th 09 04:43 AM

Off to the Bahamas

On Jun 10, 8:27*am, Wayne.B wrote:
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. * Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiady....

That link is really fascinating. i really didn't investigate the spots
much but I was wondering at what increments it was recorded?

And it seems that the records started to hit just north of the
Bahamas. Wayne, why didn't it record when you hailed out of the
States?

Obviously, I'm missing something.

Wayne.B June 15th 09 05:17 AM

Off to the Bahamas

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:43:01 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jun 10, 8:27*am, Wayne.B wrote:
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. * Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

That link is really fascinating. i really didn't investigate the spots
much but I was wondering at what increments it was recorded?

And it seems that the records started to hit just north of the
Bahamas. Wayne, why didn't it record when you hailed out of the
States?

Obviously, I'm missing something.

It is supposed to uplink a position report every 10 minutes but
sometimes there is a gap if the transmission is unsuccessful for some
reason such as the satellites being out of alignment. I also turn it
off at night to conserve battery power since there is no reason to be
sending multiple, redundant positions.

The first page of the SPOT web site shows the last 50 position
reports. On the left hand side you can select older pages going
backward in time, currently to page 5 (the start of our cruise).

One of my gripes with the SPOT service is that positions roll off
after 7 days and there doesn't seem to be a way of saving them other
than taking screen shots of each page.

Tim June 15th 09 07:04 AM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote:

On Jun 10, 8:27*am, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

That;'s a very good explanation. I didn't know how it worked.

Keep having fun and thanks again!

Rick Morel June 15th 09 05:51 PM

Off to the Bahamas

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:17:55 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

One of my gripes with the SPOT service is that positions roll off
after 7 days and there doesn't seem to be a way of saving them other
than taking screen shots of each page.

Wayne, you can get your positions. Log into your Spot account and
click on "Messages". You can export them to a GPS, KML or CSV file. I
don't think they don't stay there forever. but maybe so. I deleted
mine and after exporting and haven't used the Spot since then.

Rick

Wilbur Hubbard June 15th 09 09:41 PM

Off to the Bahamas

wrote:

One of my gripes with the SPOT service is that positions roll off
after 7 days and there doesn't seem to be a way of saving them other
than taking screen shots of each page.

Wayne, you can get your positions. Log into your Spot account and
click on "Messages". You can export them to a GPS, KML or CSV file. I
don't think they don't stay there forever. but maybe so. I deleted
mine and after exporting and haven't used the Spot since then.

Rick

I feel sorry for boaters whose priority is a computerized display of their
wanderings.

It's totally sad that boaters no longer enjoy doing things and their
memories of doing things but would rather sit around gazing at a computer
display while spending time they could use for sailing sitting around
watching a display and showing said display off to others who also have no
clue as to what sailing is all about. Then rushing onto the internet to talk
to others who also have no clue as to the real purpose of boating. Again,
it's a bunch of little kids on a playground who don't do anything because
they enjoy it per se but so they can holler at the top of their lungs, "Hey,
lookit MEEEEE."

But, I keep forgetting this is the motorboat crowd. I suppose there really
are no fond memories of the chore of sitting endless hours in a pilot house
behind a steering wheel listening to a motor drone while smelling a constant
seepage of diesel fumes. I suppose there really are no adventurous people. I
suppose unless you can't operate your boat as if you were looking at some
kind of video game you would lose interest.

I guess it's no wonder that we real boaters operate under sail where there
is still challenge, physicality and interplay with the elements - not some
dumb computer display.

Wilbur Hubbard

John H[_2_] June 15th 09 10:16 PM

Off to the Bahamas

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:41:52 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, life's a bitch. You could just stay out. That would work, and
you wouldn't be so friggin' sad.
--
John H

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson