BoatBanter.com

BoatBanter.com (https://www.boatbanter.com/)
-   Cruising (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/)
-   -   Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19 (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/106539-lucaya-grand-bahama-island-saint-simons-island-ga-april-18-19-a.html)

Wayne.B June 5th 09 04:57 PM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19
 
On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:14:46 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

You can get radar under a grand, and with a power consumption of less
than 2 amps. A hundred amp alternator can put out a days worth of
juice in fifteen minutes. You would need a hefty battery to absorb it
that quick, however.


Wilbur hasn't yet figured out how to fit a 100 amp alternator to his
outboard motor.


Richard Casady June 6th 09 03:49 PM

Fishing Lures (was) Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19
 
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 00:47:41 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

The only constant is no cut or live bait. Just hooks on the end of the line
with something which interests them. Once caught three in a row, in very
short order, on different lures (I never have two of the same time behind
the boat, cuz, like you, I'm baffled as to any certainty of lure).


Have you tried a nightcrawler wrapped stick of dynamite?

Casady

Lew Hodgett[_4_] June 6th 09 07:38 PM

Fishing Lures (was) Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19
 

"Richard Casady" wrote:

Have you tried a nightcrawler wrapped stick of dynamite?


From my childhood, most effective way to catch fish.

A quart Mason jar with a rock inside for weight, add some carbide and
water, then screw on cap and throw in water where it will sink to
bottom.

Wait a few minutes until enough acetylene gas is generated to explode
the Mason jar, shocking fish which float to surface and can be
retrieved at your leisure.

Only problem, process is not selective, it kills ALL the fish in the
area.

Lew



Richard Casady June 9th 09 02:27 AM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19
 
On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:14:46 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 23:42:44 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Radar does use a fair amout of power. That's a fact but not
necessarily an issue on a larger boat with decent battery banks.
Modern radars do have power saving modes where they wake up every
minute or so, make a few sweeps, activate an alarm if targets are
detected, and then go back to sleep.


I've sailed thousands of miles
at night without radar but I count myself lucky and will never do it
again if I have a choice.


Radar sunk the Andrea Doria. The 3rd officer on the Stockholm misread
his.

asady

You can get radar under a grand, and with a power consumption of less
than 2 amps. A hundred amp alternator can put out a days worth of
juice in fifteen minutes. You would need a hefty battery to absorb it
that quick, however.

Casady


[email protected] June 9th 09 11:29 AM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19
 
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 20:27:32 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:14:46 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 23:42:44 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Radar does use a fair amout of power. That's a fact but not
necessarily an issue on a larger boat with decent battery banks.
Modern radars do have power saving modes where they wake up every
minute or so, make a few sweeps, activate an alarm if targets are
detected, and then go back to sleep.


I've sailed thousands of miles
at night without radar but I count myself lucky and will never do it
again if I have a choice.


Radar sunk the Andrea Doria. The 3rd officer on the Stockholm misread
his.


Then the 3rd Officer on the Stockholm sank the Andrea Doria, not the
RADAR.

Richard Casady June 9th 09 02:15 PM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19
 
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 06:29:06 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 20:27:32 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:14:46 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 23:42:44 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Radar does use a fair amout of power. That's a fact but not
necessarily an issue on a larger boat with decent battery banks.
Modern radars do have power saving modes where they wake up every
minute or so, make a few sweeps, activate an alarm if targets are
detected, and then go back to sleep.


I've sailed thousands of miles
at night without radar but I count myself lucky and will never do it
again if I have a choice.


Radar sunk the Andrea Doria. The 3rd officer on the Stockholm misread
his.


Then the 3rd Officer on the Stockholm sank the Andrea Doria, not the
RADAR.


If he hadn't had it he wouldn't have misread it.

Casady

Brian Whatcott June 14th 09 07:24 PM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19
 
Responding to abusive, wrong-headed posts from alias-Wilbur is very much
like banging one's head against a wall for fun - but I'll do it any way.

Radar output is the transmit power from the magnetron.
This pulse lasts 1 microsecond or less, and can be repeated 1000 times
per second. 2.2 kW power for say 1 microsecond X 1000 per second gives
AVERAGE power of 2.2 watts - but there is the processor, the display
etc., etc so 20 to 30 watts while transmitting is in the ball park.
A coupla amps in fact.

I expect there was SOMETHING correct in alias-Wilbur's post, but I
didn't look at it that closely.

Brian W



Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
wrote in message
...
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 21:22:28 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:25:27 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Real sailors won't abide radar.
Bull



Not bull! Fact!

If you run radar you are motoring because the damned things draw so much
power. Since you're motoring you are no sailor.

False.

My RADAR draws slightly over 2.1 amps MAX. Over 10 hours of normal
use, it draws an average of about 1/4 to 1/2 amp, or 3 - 5 amp hours
in a 10 hour day. It is really even be less than that. I have a
dedicated AGM battery for just the RADAR and a small 20 watt solar
panel has no trouble keeping it fully charged regardless of how much I
use the RADAR.



LIAR! Volts X Amps = Watts.

So if your unit draws 2 amps that means your unit has a puny 24 or so watt
output provided it it 100 percent efficient which it is NOT. Hell, a VHF
radio outputs at 25 watts and it has no moving parts.

That means your pitiful 2.1 amp radar is good for a range of maybe a 1/10
mile. Waste of time and space, dude! Freaking TOY!

Here's a link to a compact yacht radar:
http://www.busse-yachtshop.de/dae_fu...adar-1623.html

Note the output is 2.2 KILOwatts.

Using the above formula, V times amps = watts, you get approximately 14
amps.

You're even more clueless than poor Skippy!

Wilbur Hubbard



Brian Whatcott June 14th 09 07:25 PM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19PRF and RMS power
 
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
wrote in message
...
Wilbur,

Stick to stuff you understand.
1. The VHF is on at a100% duty cycle so it's output is 25 watts as you
stated.
2. The RADAR has a pulsed output. The shorter the pulse the better the
resolution of the radar. I remember one 25KW radar I was repairing only
used
5 watts for the magnetron.

Power consumed depends on the pulse width and the pulse repetition
frequency.




That's odd, I could have sworn the link I posted rated the yacht radar
described at 2.2 kilowatt output.

Wilbur Hubbard


Oh my gosh..... will he ever learn?

Brian W

Brian Whatcott June 14th 09 07:27 PM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19PRF and RMS power
 
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
wrote in message
...
It is a 2.2 KW pulse for say one microsecond 200 times a second and off
the
rest of the time. Do the math, 200 microseconds on the rest of the time it
is off.
You can see this is not going to be a very high average power.




I see your point. If it only runs at that kilowatt output for 1/10 of a
second then for the entire second it will have a draw 1/10 for the entire
second. When talking amps it is better to talk amp/hours. But even so, 2.2
kilowatts - one tenth of that is still 22 watts only for generating the
signal. You still have gears and motor turning that rotor and you still have
the receiver power draw, the cpu power draw and the screen power draw. That
idiot who claimed his radar only draws 2.1 amps continuously is lying. You
don't get something for nothing.

Wilbur Hubbard


What a clueless twit!

Brian W

Wilbur Hubbard June 14th 09 07:45 PM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19
 
"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
...
Responding to abusive, wrong-headed posts from alias-Wilbur is very much
like banging one's head against a wall for fun - but I'll do it any way.

Radar output is the transmit power from the magnetron.
This pulse lasts 1 microsecond or less, and can be repeated 1000 times per
second. 2.2 kW power for say 1 microsecond X 1000 per second gives AVERAGE
power of 2.2 watts - but there is the processor, the display etc., etc so
20 to 30 watts while transmitting is in the ball park.
A coupla amps in fact.

I expect there was SOMETHING correct in alias-Wilbur's post, but I didn't
look at it that closely.



If you aren't transmitting you aren't using radar. Doh! And, if you have
working radar you are REQUIRED by the COLREGS to have it on and operational
at ALL TIMES that you are under way.

RULE 7
RISK OF COLISION

(a) Every vessel shall use all available means appropriate to the
prevailing circumstances and conditions to determine if risk of collision
exists. If there is any doubt such risk shall be deemed to exist.

(b) Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and
operational, including long-range scanning to obtain early warning of risk
of collision and radar plotting or equivalent systematic observation of
detected objects.

(note: proper use does not mean turning the damned thing off to conserver
your battery power!!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We all know manufacturers fudge their stats to make it look like their
products are not the power hogs they really are. I refuse to believe the
claim that Rube made about their radar set only using 2.1 amps. It's
obviously way understated. Hell, the LCD display alone on my laptop draws
about that much power. The power brick outputs 19 volts DC at 4.5 amps. The
radar set is a computer, too. It has a processor and that antenna spins
inside the dome so it has a motor and motors draw lots of amperage. We all
know that.

The bottom line is my original statement stands. Radar sets for sailboats
draw way too much power to be viable unless you run your motor or a genset
all the friggin' time.

Wilbur Hubbard




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2014 BoatBanter.com