BoatBanter.com

-   -   Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19 (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/106539-lucaya-grand-bahama-island-saint-simons-island-ga-april-18-19-a.html)

Wilbur Hubbard June 3rd 09 02:22 AM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:25:27 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Real sailors won't abide radar.

Bull

Not bull! Fact!

If you run radar you are motoring because the damned things draw so much
power. Since you're motoring you are no sailor. When you pay attention to a
radar screen and when you plot courses and heed all the information the
screen has to offer you are ignoring all other aspects of sailing. Radar
doesn't show depth of water, for instance. In other words those sailors
attempting to use radar properly do so at the peril of disregarding all the
other important aspects of sailing. Radar needs a dedicated radar operator.
Skippy nor anybody else can competently handle radar and sailing at the same
time. Those are the facts.

Radar, for a lone hander or shorthander like Skippy, is a dangerous
distraction and nothing more than that. It invites trouble as it's used as
an excuse to go where you shouldn't be going in the first place. Lose the
radar!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wayne.B June 3rd 09 04:42 AM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 21:22:28 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Radar
doesn't show depth of water, for instance. In other words those sailors
attempting to use radar properly do so at the peril of disregarding all the
other important aspects of sailing. Radar needs a dedicated radar operator.

Radar does use a fair amout of power. That's a fact but not
necessarily an issue on a larger boat with decent battery banks.
Modern radars do have power saving modes where they wake up every
minute or so, make a few sweeps, activate an alarm if targets are
detected, and then go back to sleep. I've sailed thousands of miles
at night without radar but I count myself lucky and will never do it
again if I have a choice.

Flying Pig[_2_] June 3rd 09 05:47 AM

Fishing Lures (was) Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19

Skip, what kind of fishing lure are you using? I'm impressed by your
"catch". Any chance of a lure photo?

Hi, Wayne, and list,

The mahi was pretty small as they go, but still ample food. Lures have
ranged from raw cedar tuna plugs to painted tuna plugs, to gummi-bear
material skirted hooks, to a spoon with the hook screwed in the middle
(there's prolly a name for that but if there is I don't remember it).

Doesn't seem to matter. If they ain't there, they won't bite. If they are,
it doesn't seem to matter to them.

The only constant is no cut or live bait. Just hooks on the end of the line
with something which interests them. Once caught three in a row, in very
short order, on different lures (I never have two of the same time behind
the boat, cuz, like you, I'm baffled as to any certainty of lure).

HTH...

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

[email protected] June 3rd 09 11:29 AM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 21:22:28 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Real sailors won't abide radar.

Bull

Not bull! Fact!

If you run radar you are motoring because the damned things draw so much
power. Since you're motoring you are no sailor.

False.

My RADAR draws slightly over 2.1 amps MAX. Over 10 hours of normal
use, it draws an average of about 1/4 to 1/2 amp, or 3 - 5 amp hours
in a 10 hour day. It is really even be less than that. I have a
dedicated AGM battery for just the RADAR and a small 20 watt solar
panel has no trouble keeping it fully charged regardless of how much I
use the RADAR.

Wilbur Hubbard June 3rd 09 09:00 PM

wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 21:22:28 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Real sailors won't abide radar.

Bull

Not bull! Fact!

If you run radar you are motoring because the damned things draw so much
power. Since you're motoring you are no sailor.

False.

My RADAR draws slightly over 2.1 amps MAX. Over 10 hours of normal
use, it draws an average of about 1/4 to 1/2 amp, or 3 - 5 amp hours
in a 10 hour day. It is really even be less than that. I have a
dedicated AGM battery for just the RADAR and a small 20 watt solar
panel has no trouble keeping it fully charged regardless of how much I
use the RADAR.

LIAR! Volts X Amps = Watts.

So if your unit draws 2 amps that means your unit has a puny 24 or so watt
output provided it it 100 percent efficient which it is NOT. Hell, a VHF
radio outputs at 25 watts and it has no moving parts.

That means your pitiful 2.1 amp radar is good for a range of maybe a 1/10
mile. Waste of time and space, dude! Freaking TOY!

Here's a link to a compact yacht radar:
http://www.busse-yachtshop.de/dae_fu...adar-1623.html

Note the output is 2.2 KILOwatts.

Using the above formula, V times amps = watts, you get approximately 14
amps.

You're even more clueless than poor Skippy!

Wilbur Hubbard

[email protected] June 3rd 09 10:46 PM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19 PRF and RMS power

Wilbur,

Stick to stuff you understand.
1. The VHF is on at a100% duty cycle so it's output is 25 watts as you
stated.
2. The RADAR has a pulsed output. The shorter the pulse the better the
resolution of the radar. I remember one 25KW radar I was repairing only used
5 watts for the magnetron.

Power consumed depends on the pulse width and the pulse repetition
frequency.

Wilbur Hubbard June 3rd 09 10:48 PM

wrote in message
Wilbur,

Stick to stuff you understand.
1. The VHF is on at a100% duty cycle so it's output is 25 watts as you
stated.
2. The RADAR has a pulsed output. The shorter the pulse the better the
resolution of the radar. I remember one 25KW radar I was repairing only
used
5 watts for the magnetron.

Power consumed depends on the pulse width and the pulse repetition
frequency.

That's odd, I could have sworn the link I posted rated the yacht radar
described at 2.2 kilowatt output.

Wilbur Hubbard

[email protected] June 3rd 09 11:10 PM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19 PRF and RMS power

It is a 2.2 KW pulse for say one microsecond 200 times a second and off the
rest of the time. Do the math, 200 microseconds on the rest of the time it
is off.
You can see this is not going to be a very high average power.

Wilbur Hubbard June 3rd 09 11:16 PM

wrote in message
It is a 2.2 KW pulse for say one microsecond 200 times a second and off
the
rest of the time. Do the math, 200 microseconds on the rest of the time it
is off.
You can see this is not going to be a very high average power.

I see your point. If it only runs at that kilowatt output for 1/10 of a
second then for the entire second it will have a draw 1/10 for the entire
second. When talking amps it is better to talk amp/hours. But even so, 2.2
kilowatts - one tenth of that is still 22 watts only for generating the
signal. You still have gears and motor turning that rotor and you still have
the receiver power draw, the cpu power draw and the screen power draw. That
idiot who claimed his radar only draws 2.1 amps continuously is lying. You
don't get something for nothing.

Wilbur Hubbard

[email protected] June 3rd 09 11:22 PM

Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19 PRF and RMS power

A microsecond is one millionth of a second.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsecond

Not 1/10 of a second. 200/1,000,000 of a second or 0.0002 second.