Default Interesting account of a lightening strike

http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 00:09:05 -0700, Gordon wrote:

http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

An interesting account.

I met Watermelon at Sebana Cove probably 10-12 years ago. Nice people.

In fact, the wife, told me the story of how the original rather
picturesque sail cover came about. It seems that Rolly Tasker in
Phuket had nearly run out of green sunbrella, not enough to make the
sail cover and the wife said, "got any red and white", Rolly had the
colors and so they made the front portion look like a watermelon and
there was enough green to do the reminder.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

Interesting. Perhaps carrying a hand-held depth sounder isn't a bad idea.
They're pretty cheap.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:17:20 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
om...
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

Interesting. Perhaps carrying a hand-held depth sounder isn't a bad idea.
They're pretty cheap.

After reading about the impossibility of protecting wired gear from
lightening, I decided that a good safety measure would be to carry
spares for critical gear in an insulated case.
What's "critical" is debatable.

--Vic

wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
news:KdOdnRYRHuUO477XnZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@wavecable. com...
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

Interesting. Perhaps carrying a hand-held depth sounder isn't a bad idea.
They're pretty cheap.

After reading about the impossibility of protecting wired gear from
lightening, I decided that a good safety measure would be to carry
spares for critical gear in an insulated case.
What's "critical" is debatable.

--Vic

I would include a new set of underware. lol

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:00:48 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
news:KdOdnRYRHuUO477XnZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@wavecable .com...
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

Interesting. Perhaps carrying a hand-held depth sounder isn't a bad idea.
They're pretty cheap.

After reading about the impossibility of protecting wired gear from
lightening, I decided that a good safety measure would be to carry
spares for critical gear in an insulated case.
What's "critical" is debatable.

--Vic

I would include a new set of underware. lol

After I sent that, I thought I should have said "critical electronic
gear."
You've confirmed that thought. (-:

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:00:48 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
news:KdOdnRYRHuUO477XnZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@wavecabl e.com...
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

Interesting. Perhaps carrying a hand-held depth sounder isn't a bad
idea.
They're pretty cheap.

After reading about the impossibility of protecting wired gear from
lightening, I decided that a good safety measure would be to carry
spares for critical gear in an insulated case.
What's "critical" is debatable.

--Vic

I would include a new set of underware. lol

After I sent that, I thought I should have said "critical electronic
gear."
You've confirmed that thought. (-:

--Vic

Heh... I thought you should have also. Critical gear for
she-who-must-be-obeyed includes a portable Scrabble set and several stuffed
animals.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article lutions,
lid says...
"Gordon" wrote in message
news:KdOdnRYRHuUO477XnZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@wavecable. com...
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

Interesting. Perhaps carrying a hand-held depth sounder isn't a bad idea.
They're pretty cheap.

It's called a lead line.

Right, but it's not as quick as the press of a button, and doesn't really
work underway. Better than nothing and you can conjure the bottom material
that way.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:17:20 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
om...
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

Interesting. Perhaps carrying a hand-held depth sounder isn't a bad idea.
They're pretty cheap.

A Lead line is pretty cheap and reliable... and doesn't even need
batteries.

wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
news:KdOdnRYRHuUO477XnZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@wavecable. com...
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon29.asp

Interesting. Perhaps carrying a hand-held depth sounder isn't a bad idea.
They're pretty cheap.

After reading about the impossibility of protecting wired gear from
lightening, I decided that a good safety measure would be to carry
spares for critical gear in an insulated case.
What's "critical" is debatable.

Perhaps you want a closed metal container. Lightning can pass through
the metal, but won't get inside the box.

Casady

Lightning Strike Capt. Rob Cruising 7 May 25th 06 11:51 PM
Lightning Strike Capt. Rob ASA 0 May 24th 06 11:16 PM
OT Strike Two, BushCo [email protected] General 68 December 13th 05 03:47 PM
Want a gmail account? Marshall Banana General 14 January 11th 05 05:43 PM