Default Stainless

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:20:02 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:38:30 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Then go buy a stainless bowl and fill it half full of water.
See how long it takes to develop its first pin hole.
A matter of weeks or less, quite likely.

Which was all I was debating. Not the fact that stainless will
corrode....

I had a stainless bowl develop a pinhole in ordinary use.

Casady

In a matter of weeks?

There is a big difference between 'stainless' steel used for domestic ware
and the type that should be used for boat fittings.
Use a strong magnet and if it attracts the so-called 'stainless' item then
that item has no place on your boat.

On Mon, 18 May 2009 09:39:34 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Then go buy a stainless bowl and fill it half full of water.
See how long it takes to develop its first pin hole.
A matter of weeks or less, quite likely.

Which was all I was debating. Not the fact that stainless will
corrode....

I had a stainless bowl develop a pinhole in ordinary use.

Casady

In a matter of weeks?

There is a big difference between 'stainless' steel used for domestic ware
and the type that should be used for boat fittings.
Use a strong magnet and if it attracts the so-called 'stainless' item then
that item has no place on your boat.

Gee. I got an old stainless year tea kettle. Had it about ten years,
or so and it's been on the boat all that time. And, it has had water
in it for a lot of that time as we live on the boat about half the
time.

Still holding up well, hasn't leaked a drop yet. A magnet sticks to it
too...

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
...I got an old stainless year tea kettle. Had it about ten years,
or so and it's been on the boat all that time. And, it has had water
in it for a lot of that time as we live on the boat about half the
time.

Still holding up well, hasn't leaked a drop yet. A magnet sticks to it
too...

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I have an electric tea kettle of that kind too. Had it for years, no
problem.
And a stainless bowl - that developed a pinhole in weeks when I left it
out with saline in it. Yes, I know - difficult for you to understand or
believe.

Brian W

On Mon, 18 May 2009 06:38:01 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
...I got an old stainless year tea kettle. Had it about ten years,
or so and it's been on the boat all that time. And, it has had water
in it for a lot of that time as we live on the boat about half the
time.

Still holding up well, hasn't leaked a drop yet. A magnet sticks to it
too...

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I have an electric tea kettle of that kind too. Had it for years, no
problem.
And a stainless bowl - that developed a pinhole in weeks when I left it
out with saline in it. Yes, I know - difficult for you to understand or
believe.

Brian W

No, I understand and probably believe. I'm simply responding to some
rather grandiose and illogical statements:

"Put water in a bowl and it will have a hole in it is a couple of
weeks" - I did and it didn't.

"Don't use magnetic stainless on a boat" - I have done and it hasn't
leaked yet..

I notice that you seem to snip the statement I am responding to and
leave only my statement standing all alone.

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

OK, no problem. I have a kettle on board just like that.
I should have made it clear I was talking about boat fittings

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

I have an electric tea kettle of that kind too. Had it for years, no
problem.
And a stainless bowl - that developed a pinhole in weeks when I left it
out with saline in it. Yes, I know - difficult for you to understand or
believe.

Brian W

No, I understand and probably believe. I'm simply responding to some
rather grandiose and illogical statements:
***
Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce, if you want long strung out arguments when presented with blue
ribbon science articles that contradict you, you need to focus on your
friend Wilbur, not me.

Brian W

On Tue, 19 May 2009 06:40:01 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

I have an electric tea kettle of that kind too. Had it for years, no
problem.
And a stainless bowl - that developed a pinhole in weeks when I left it
out with saline in it. Yes, I know - difficult for you to understand or
believe.

Brian W

No, I understand and probably believe. I'm simply responding to some
rather grandiose and illogical statements:
***
Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce, if you want long strung out arguments when presented with blue
ribbon science articles that contradict you, you need to focus on your
friend Wilbur, not me.

Brian W

I wasn't focusing on anyone. Just the post.

If someone says that water in a stainless bowl will make a hole in two
weeks and I have a stainless bucket that was on the boat when I bought
it more then 10 years ago that sits on the deck and usually has water
in it - and it still doesn't leak, then I will probably take exception
to it.

To be quite frank when someone is specific about an experiment and I
cannot reproduce their results while adhering to their specifications
and procedures then either there is something wrong with their
procedures and specifications or their science is wrong.

And, that was all I was replying to.

Bronze or Stainless? Bart ASA 15 January 18th 07 03:03 AM
Stainless steel props RGrew176 General 0 August 25th 04 01:43 AM
FS: Stainless Fasteners Gulf Omni Boat Building 0 October 22nd 03 04:14 PM
Just what is "All Stainless"?? Brian Whatcott Boat Building 11 August 20th 03 02:14 PM
Stainless fasteners Hawk Power Boat Building 0 July 17th 03 07:00 PM