posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Bronze or Stainless?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Bronze gets verdifiris on it and stainless pits after a
while...both,when in contact with other metals, undergo electrolysis....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

For what application, Bart?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Well, stainless will hold an edge better than bronze and so makes
superior cutlery. Stainless has higher tensile strengh, makes stronger
turnbuckles and prop shafts. Bronze is far easier to cast and thus make
complex shapes.

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Stainless galls and makes rotten frictional bearings.

Bronze contains lead and is malleable.

Go with titanium for every application. It is lighter than wood and is very
hard to burn.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I have to agree with Max, what application?

I'd choose SS for hand rail, rigging cable, pulpits, etc. Bronze for
bearings, pump parts, electric panels, plumbing fixtures.

You can solder to Bronze, you have to weld or braze to SS.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Bart wrote:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'd use a bronze prop, that way if it strikes something it will break.

Joe

ESP

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote

Gilligan wrote:
Stainless galls and makes rotten frictional bearings.

Plus it suffers chloride stress corrosion, crevice corrosion, and
doesn't take a polish well.
It's non-magnetic, which can be either an advantage or a disadvantage
depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Bronze contains lead and is malleable.

Better for making bullets with, is that you're implying?? Bronze is not
a very strong metal and also corrodes (albeit very slowly). An
advantage is that it makes a great polished surface (which you then
have to keep polishing daily).

Go with titanium for every application. It is lighter than wood and is very
hard to burn.

But when it does burn, stand back!!

I'd suggest monel over titanium for most marine applications. Less
reactive, less expensive, and it also polishes up nicely.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Bart wrote:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'd use a bronze prop, that way if it strikes something it will break.

Joe

ESP

What? No shear pins?

--
jlrogers±³©

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote
I'd use a bronze prop, that way if it strikes something it will break.

What, no sails?

Cheers,
Ellen

mounting bronze hardware John Knox Boat Building 2 September 6th 06 12:17 PM
ughh,.. how do you cut stainless steel plate? David Clark Boat Building 0 November 23rd 05 12:30 PM
Bronze Seacock Paranoia? cvj Cruising 13 July 19th 05 06:20 AM
Stainless steel props RGrew176 General 0 August 25th 04 01:43 AM
Just what is "All Stainless"?? Brian Whatcott Boat Building 11 August 20th 03 02:14 PM