posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Bronze or Stainless?

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
et...
"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Bart wrote:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'd use a bronze prop, that way if it strikes something it will break.

Joe

ESP

What? No shear pins?

--
jlrogers±³©

He was not talking about an outboard. How many outboards have you seen with
bronze props?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

JLR,

The "Nellen Composite" doesn't know anything but outboards

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Edgar" wrote in message
news

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
et...
"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Bart wrote:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'd use a bronze prop, that way if it strikes something it will break.

Joe

ESP

What? No shear pins?

--
jlrogers±³©

He was not talking about an outboard. How many outboards have you seen
with
bronze props?

How many inboards have you seen without shear pins?

--
jlrogers±³©

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
et...
"Edgar" wrote in message
news

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
et...
"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Bart wrote:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'd use a bronze prop, that way if it strikes something it will

break.

Joe

ESP

What? No shear pins?

--
jlrogers±³©

He was not talking about an outboard. How many outboards have you seen
with
bronze props?

How many inboards have you seen without shear pins?

--
jlrogers±³©

You are talking inboards with outboard legs maybe.
I am talking about inboards with shaft drive. If you have one of those shear
pins are never seen. Put one on the prop and you can't get at it afloat.
Put one in the shaft/engine coupling and your prop shaft is likely to
disappear back out of the stern tube if it shears.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote
I'd use a bronze prop, that way if it strikes something it will break.

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
What? No shear pins?

Edgar wrote:
He was not talking about an outboard. How many outboards have you seen with
bronze props?

Well, you could put a bronze prop on any outboard you liked. Not
difficult, merely expensive (or, if you wanted to cast & machine it
yourself, tedious). As for shear pins on an inboard, the coupling will
function just fine as a slightly-more-expensive shear pin.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

jlrogers±³© wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Bart wrote:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'd use a bronze prop, that way if it strikes something it will break.

Joe

ESP

What? No shear pins?

You mean Woodruff keys in the coupler?

Yeah I have them, but they do not do much in the way of dampening the
blow of non-rotational strikes.
If you have a boat with a strut housed cutlass I'd never go stainless.

Joe

Joe

--
jlrogers±³©

mounting bronze hardware John Knox Boat Building 2 September 6th 06 12:17 PM
ughh,.. how do you cut stainless steel plate? David Clark Boat Building 0 November 23rd 05 12:30 PM
Bronze Seacock Paranoia? cvj Cruising 13 July 19th 05 06:20 AM
Stainless steel props RGrew176 General 0 August 25th 04 01:43 AM
Just what is "All Stainless"?? Brian Whatcott Boat Building 11 August 20th 03 02:14 PM