Default Weems & Plath Yacht Lamp.

My son sent me a gimbaled W&P yacht lamp as a memento.
It looks like it would work with kerosene,
but I have it in mind that it was an alcohol lamp.
Which is it?

Brian W

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
My son sent me a gimbaled W&P yacht lamp as a memento.
It looks like it would work with kerosene,
but I have it in mind that it was an alcohol lamp.
Which is it?

Brian W

It is almost certainly meant to burn liquid parafin or kerosene.
I've really never heard of an alcohol-fueled cabin lamp.
--
KLC Lewis
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

"Brian Whatcott" wrote:

It looks like it would work with kerosene,
but I have it in mind that it was an alcohol lamp.
Which is it?

Kero.

Lew

Brian Whatcott wrote:
My son sent me a gimbaled W&P yacht lamp as a memento.
It looks like it would work with kerosene,
but I have it in mind that it was an alcohol lamp.
Which is it?

Brian W

I had one - it used "lamp oil" aka kerosene.
http://www.weems-plath.com/cgi-bin/s...0&itemNumber=0

jeff wrote:
Brian Whatcott wrote:
My son sent me a gimbaled W&P yacht lamp as a memento.
It looks like it would work with kerosene,
but I have it in mind that it was an alcohol lamp.
Which is it?

Brian W

I had one - it used "lamp oil" aka kerosene.
http://www.weems-plath.com/cgi-bin/s...0&itemNumber=0

That's the one all right! - But not that shiny....
So it's unanimous - lamp oil, or kerosene.

Thanks all.

Brian W

Brian Whatcott wrote in news:0cpNl.15436$jZ1.9476
@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:

My son sent me a gimbaled W&P yacht lamp as a memento.
It looks like it would work with kerosene,
but I have it in mind that it was an alcohol lamp.
Which is it?

Brian W

There is a smokeless lamp oil, a white-colored kerosene product, that goes
in that lamp. I gave my English captain one for Christmas several years
ago. It's very popular and runs at ever gathering aboard the boat. There
are 2 other oil lamps lighting the galley end of the salon and one hanging
in the cockpit. They all add such a great aura of the past to any
gathering aboard.

West Marine stocks the oil in litre bottles. Hardware stores have it much
cheaper, of course, so you can refill the W-P bottles on the cheap without
anyone on the dock finding out you got it at a mere Ace Hardware or Home
Depot....(c;] It's also available at Dollar General, but don't get the
perfumed stuff which ruins the diesel fragrance in most boats.

The carbon black little condenser cone over the chimney allows you to run
anything thinner than Bunker "C" if you clean it often....(c;]

--
-----
Larry

Brian Whatcott wrote in news:RVJNl.32908$ZP4.17300
@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com:

I noticed the strong resemblance to a miner's safety lamp. Two layer
mesh funnel in the chimney and all. Wonder why? You could see a virtue
on a boat with a gas engine, no doubt - but that's not that usual on a
sail boat, wouldn't you say?

Brian W

Take it off the gimbal and out into the wind. It's also quite windproof.

--
-----