Default Transferring ownership of Documented Vessel

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
says...
For better or worst, for richer or poorer, it's a done deal.

While some of our gentle readers will think it somewhat pathetic,
that was the biggest check I've ever written.

But she's completely paid for - no mortgage - all mine now.
No mortgage burning party to look forward to - and couldn't afford
on right now anyway.

All documents were notarized.
Also got bills of sale and documentation papers all the way back to
the first owner (I'm third).

And the original builders certificate.

One step closer to the coast...

In the mean time, we've 98,000 acres of lake water to shake down in.

Congratulations! Have the party. Perhaps no mortgage to burn but it is
still an event worth celebrating with friends and something potent
spilled.

We went out for a couple of hours this evening.

What fun! the autopilot even WORKS!
I havent' dug into the slave-to-GPS mode yet.
Just set the heading and let go.
(and watched it like a hawk for a while)
Pretty cool.
It's like having another crew member - who doesn't drink beer even.
Dorothy wants to name it.
(from Sailing Alone Around the World - did we ever know the name of
the navigator of the Pinta???)

But I did have a couple of heart in the throat moments coming back in.

The pier where I dock is fairly tight (ok, I wouldn't give it a moments
pause in my old Capri 18 (what a handy little ship) but this thing is
bugger, heavier, and has a wing rather than a fin.)

At low speeds, the boat doesn't want to turn real tight, and the wind
was
blowing 12 to 15 straight out of the slip. And once it loses steerage it
takes a while to get going again...
Did I mention the wind blowing 12 to 15 straight out of the slip???

There are a bunch of huge power boats behind me (two boat lengths?!!?)
and
a shallow mud flat to port (75 feet away?).

Both of which conspired to more attention that I thought was necessary.

Well, we made it in - second try - after a couple of deep gulps.

Just learnin' her ways...

Richard

15 kts... nothin special out here. Straight out is better than straight
in or even from the side. Feel good about it. You have trouble holding it
into the wind? You should be able to go in with decent speed and let the
wind slow you down. How tight is the slip? Mine boat has less than a
fender clearance on either side, so the only way to dock (or leave the
dock) is to take up the fenders before moving. The first time I brought
her in I got to about a beam, then the boat stopped with her ass stickin
out. I gave her more R's. Nothing. Then I realized....

The slip is about 15 feet wide, but the boat is nearly 10.
Seems tighter when she lost steerage and started to fall off to st'bd.
I jammed reverse and backed away (just barely), and "went around" for
another pass.

The problem was that I let her get too slow before turning into the slip
and - just stopped (you got the in-to-the-wind part right on)

Richard

Ok.. my boat's beam is 10'. The slip is 11'. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

The slip is about 15 feet wide, but the boat is nearly 10.
Seems tighter when she lost steerage and started to fall off to st'bd.
I jammed reverse and backed away (just barely), and "went around" for
another pass.

The problem was that I let her get too slow before turning into the slip
and - just stopped (you got the in-to-the-wind part right on)

Richard

Ok.. my boat's beam is 10'. The slip is 11'. :-)

That ought to be easy.

Just line her up - and push real hard!

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:36:07 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Gogarty wrote:
[...]

Headwind going into the slip is generally the most favorable
situation. You can come in faster, because the wind will help stop the
boat. Crosswind and tailwind both push the boat in ways that make
things much harder.

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:10:08 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Gogarty wrote:
[...]

Coming in too slow is a far more common error than coming in too fast.
Maybe try spend a few hours practicing with one or two people on deck
for fending off when it doesn't go perfectly. One person on each side
of the boat is good. More can be bad.

Pay close attention to which passes are most successful. You'll get
better at it pretty quickly if you pay attention.

Documented Boats Donald Camps Cruising 14 January 8th 06 01:08 AM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM
Documented!!! SkitchNYC ASA 42 July 21st 03 03:07 AM
Documented? Bobsprit ASA 5 July 16th 03 04:40 PM
Booby's C&C 32 was not previously documented either. Simple Simon ASA 10 July 10th 03 11:47 PM