Mike & Tricia Kennedy

Default Ferro Cement - Ingrid 38' Gaff Rigged Ketch - Thoughts

I know this has been debated many times on this board and that
generally the beliefs are that Ferro Cement is a much inferior method
for building boats and that many of these were built by amateurs and
that one should try to stay away from a Ferro Cement boat at all
costs.

I have come across a Ferro Cement Atkins Ingrid 38' Gaff Rigged Ketch.
It appears to be laid up quite nicely. I am going to have her
surveyed, but am wondering if anyone would know if Blue Water Boats
ever professionally built any Ferro Cement Ingrid's? I have see a few
of them on the internet.

Also, any comments on the Ingrid's in general would be much
appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
DSK

Mike & Tricia Kennedy wrote:
I know this has been debated many times on this board and that
generally the beliefs are that Ferro Cement is a much inferior method
for building boats and that many of these were built by amateurs and
that one should try to stay away from a Ferro Cement boat at all
costs.

Not at all. The problem with Ferro-Cement is that it is all but
impossible to get any idea of the structural inegrity of the hull
lay-up. Even a professionally plastered hull may be compromised, meaning
that the metal grid inside is rusting away unseen and the boat will
crumble in a few months... days... minutes....

This is the reason for the generally low market value and the high cost
of insuring them.

I have come across a Ferro Cement Atkins Ingrid 38' Gaff Rigged Ketch.
It appears to be laid up quite nicely. I am going to have her
surveyed, but am wondering if anyone would know if Blue Water Boats
ever professionally built any Ferro Cement Ingrid's? I have see a few
of them on the internet.

Not that I ever heard of. All of Blue Water Boats output was fiberglass
AFAIK. They used some C-Flex but not ferrocement.

Also, any comments on the Ingrid's in general would be much
appreciated. Thanks.

The Ingrid was Atkin's yacht version of the 'redningskoite,' a Norwegian
fisheries survey & rescue craft developed by the naval architect Colin
Archer in the early 1900s. The redningskoite were renowned for rough
water sailing ability and the principles used in their design have been
widely imitated... some successfully, some only superficially. A Google
search on "redningskoite," "Colin Archer," etc would yield much info.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Paul L

Ingrid info
http://hood.hctc.com/~esteve/

Paul
www.jcruiser.org
"Mike & Tricia Kennedy" wrote in message
om...
I know this has been debated many times on this board and that
generally the beliefs are that Ferro Cement is a much inferior method
for building boats and that many of these were built by amateurs and
that one should try to stay away from a Ferro Cement boat at all
costs.

I have come across a Ferro Cement Atkins Ingrid 38' Gaff Rigged Ketch.
It appears to be laid up quite nicely. I am going to have her
surveyed, but am wondering if anyone would know if Blue Water Boats
ever professionally built any Ferro Cement Ingrid's? I have see a few
of them on the internet.

Also, any comments on the Ingrid's in general would be much
appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Keith

Just call your insurance company and get an insurance quote on a ferrocement
boat. Then call some more. Let us know what you find out.

--

Keith
__
"Mike & Tricia Kennedy" wrote in message
om...
I know this has been debated many times on this board and that
generally the beliefs are that Ferro Cement is a much inferior method
for building boats and that many of these were built by amateurs and
that one should try to stay away from a Ferro Cement boat at all
costs.

I have come across a Ferro Cement Atkins Ingrid 38' Gaff Rigged Ketch.
It appears to be laid up quite nicely. I am going to have her
surveyed, but am wondering if anyone would know if Blue Water Boats
ever professionally built any Ferro Cement Ingrid's? I have see a few
of them on the internet.

Also, any comments on the Ingrid's in general would be much
appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Terry Spragg

Keith wrote:

Just call your insurance company and get an insurance quote on a ferrocement
boat. Then call some more. Let us know what you find out.

While you are at it, ask about liability only. Then recalculate your
risk / return ratio if it doesn't sink in 20 years, without
insurance, considering rates likey will go up. Spend the difference
on a liferaft.

Info us of your analysis outcome.

You wouldn't buy a boat if you thought it was going to sink, so why
bet that it will? Consider fire and theft only coverage for loss.

Terry K