Default Engine driven AC generator

There is/was a company that makes a AC generator that runs off your
main engine. But for the life of me I can't find or remember who they
are. Anybody know?

Thanks, Capt. Bill

Capt. Bill,

http://www.seafrost.com/ and money others were easy to google. You know
your boat and whether you can fit the equipment in.

Dave M.

On Apr 6, 7:00*pm, "David Martel" wrote:
Capt. Bill,

* *http://www.seafrost.com/and money others were easy to google. You know
your boat and whether you can fit the equipment in.

Dave M.

Your right Dave. If I had been looking for engine driven aircon or
refrigeration systems they are easy to Google up.

But I'm not looking for those. I'm looking for an engine driven AC
current generating system.

There was/is at least one company that made/makes one. I just can't
recall their name or find them on the web so far.

Perhaps you'll be able to easily Google that info up.

On Apr 6, 7:37*pm, Larry wrote:
"Capt.Bill" wrote in news:7101b586-0d9e-4cfa-
:

There is/was a company that makes a AC generator that runs off your
main engine. But for the life of me I can't find or remember who they
are. Anybody know?

Thanks, Capt. Bill

Harbor Freight has a 10KW monster with electronic voltage regulation that
will run off any mover for around $299 or $399. *It's beautifully made by
the Chinese, of course. *The diameter of it is about the same as a charging
alternator, but it's about 24" long with a voltmeter and two outlets on the
back, properly circuit breakered.

Shouldn't be hard to mount. *It needs to turn 3600 RPM but pulley selection
can get it close to 60 Hz....probably close enough to operate most anything
at cruising speed.

Thanks Larry. More power than the guy needs and I was looking for a
more ready to go marine system.

There was one out there. Just can't seem to find it.

Sperry Marine made a rig for lobstermen. It consisted of a 6 KW Onan 2 pole
alternator driven by a fixed dispacement Sperry Vickers hydraulic gear
motor. The system used a variable displacement Sperry Vickers hydraulic pump
which was driven off the main engine. The pump output volume is flow
controlled to deliver 60 Hz at speeds between 1100 & 4400 RPM. The generator
assembly can be mounted anywhere in the boat and is quite small. The return
oil flows through a oil cooler which you must connect to your raw water
circuit. I have one I bought new for $3,000 years ago and I have seen one
for sale on eBay, but I have no idea about current availability. The unit
will hold frequency to +- 3 Hz.
Steve

"Capt.Bill" wrote in message
There is/was a company that makes a AC generator that runs off your
main engine. But for the life of me I can't find or remember who they
are. Anybody know?

Thanks, Capt. Bill

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:06:28 -0700 (PDT), "Capt.Bill"
wrote:

On Apr 6, 7:00*pm, "David Martel" wrote:
Capt. Bill,

* *http://www.seafrost.com/and money others were easy to google. You know
your boat and whether you can fit the equipment in.

Dave M.

Your right Dave. If I had been looking for engine driven aircon or
refrigeration systems they are easy to Google up.

But I'm not looking for those. I'm looking for an engine driven AC
current generating system.

There was/is at least one company that made/makes one. I just can't
recall their name or find them on the web so far.

Perhaps you'll be able to easily Google that info up.

Years ago there was someone offering a modification for a normal auto
alternator. Essentially to remove the diodes and use it as an A.C.
alternator.

Is this the type of devise that you are looking for?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote:

Years ago there was someone offering a modification for a normal
auto
alternator. Essentially to remove the diodes and use it as an A.C.
alternator.

Leece-Neville alternators had the AC terminations on the rear housing
as standard.

Also offered a firewall mounted transformer to provide 120VAC from the
alternator; however, since alternator output is frequency sensitive,
had to operate the engine at a fixed RPM if you needed 60 HZ.

Didn't sell a lot of transformers, BTW.

Lew

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:59:43 -0700 (PDT), "Capt.Bill"
wrote:

There is/was a company that makes a AC generator that runs off your
main engine. But for the life of me I can't find or remember who they
are. Anybody know?

I remember seeing them advertised in boating magazines 20 or 30 years
ago but not since then. The most practical alternative in my opinion
is to drive a sine wave inverter with a high current alternator. This
has a number of advantages starting with extra battery charging
capability, the use of standard/easily repaired/replaced components,
and fewer appendages on the engine. I'm doing this on my trawler to
save generator usage while underway. It is important to size the
alternator very generously since most will not develop rated current
for more than a short period of time. Also important is to use large
cables (at least #2) between the alternator and inverter, and to use
multiple belts to drive the alternator. Single belts will not hold up
very long delivering more than 70 or 80 amps.

port engine stalls generator Michael Noe General 5 June 22nd 07 12:17 AM
Water driven DC generator DaveC Electronics 12 June 7th 07 02:27 AM
engine-driven fridge Akka Cruising 31 October 4th 06 02:56 PM
safe to run generator without engine room fans running? Ed Cruising 1 September 5th 03 01:57 PM
Easily driven Simple Simon ASA 1 July 20th 03 02:08 AM