Richard Malcolm

Default Cruising to Maine

I am leaving RI this saturday, July 17 for a two week trip to Maine
with 3 other family members, in a 41 ft Morgan sailboat. After 2 weeks
some of us may leave the boat somewhere and continue the trip later as
well. The only plans that we have is that we will be in Bar Harbor on
July 24 and 25 for me to play drums at the Bar Harbor music festival.
What to do the other days?
I am looking for suggestions of other places to go to, and must do
things up in
that area for the rest of the trip. Of the four people on the boat,
some of us like to anchor in small quiet places, and some of us (me)
like marinas at more busy places. I know that no matter where we go it
will be great and bueatiful.
your ideas would be most helpful! Thanks
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 13 Jul 2004 04:10:16 -0700,
(Richard Malcolm) wrote:

I am leaving RI this saturday, July 17 for a two week trip to Maine
with 3 other family members, in a 41 ft Morgan sailboat. After 2 weeks
some of us may leave the boat somewhere and continue the trip later as
well. The only plans that we have is that we will be in Bar Harbor on
July 24 and 25 for me to play drums at the Bar Harbor music festival.
What to do the other days?
I am looking for suggestions of other places to go to, and must do
things up in
that area for the rest of the trip. Of the four people on the boat,
some of us like to anchor in small quiet places, and some of us (me)
like marinas at more busy places. I know that no matter where we go it
will be great and bueatiful.
your ideas would be most helpful! Thanks

First, get thee down to "The Armchair Sailor" if you are in Newport
and get a couple of cruising guides (Taft-Eichenlaub and Johnson,
IIRC). The descriptions will let you know how likely you are to enjoy
particular places.

You must be flexible about distances, especially with 4 people aboard.
So, have several possible destinations in mind as you start, and
lengthen or shorten the trip depending on wind and weather.

If conditions are boring or unpleasant to one person, be willing to
shorten the day.

That said, the area from Schoodic Peninsula to Tenants Harbor has many
places close together, and sheltered inland passages like Eggemoggin
(pronounced 'edge-emoggin' historically) Reach, that are pleasing to
most.

OTOH. east of Schoodic, anchorages are more spaced out, and in July
likely foggy. If you get down to Head Harbor, Steele Harbor, and Roque
Islands you may never want to leave.

Going to Maine, we like to make a minivoyage of the passage, going
across from the tip of Cape Cod to Penobscot Bay or MDI. Even if the
wind dies at night, which is more often than not, standing watch on a
starry night, knowing that it will only be one night, is pleasure even
for those who don't fancy voyaging.

HTH

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Nuke the gay whales for Jesus" -- anon T-shirt
Tom Hunter

Richard,

There are marinas in Portland that are in the downtown entertainment
district its a great place to go if you want the city life.

On Mt. Desert you should spend one night at anchor in Valley Cove. Its up
the fjord in the center of the Island.

Camden is crowded but very cute in a summer people way and you will see a
fair portion of the Maine windjammer fleet if you go there. If you stop in
Rockland just South of Camden your a taxi ride away from airshows at the
Owl's Head Transportation Museum that run pretty much every weekend.

That is not a complete list but its a start. Get a cruising guide for more.

There is a
"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
I am leaving RI this saturday, July 17 for a two week trip to Maine
with 3 other family members, in a 41 ft Morgan sailboat. After 2 weeks
some of us may leave the boat somewhere and continue the trip later as
well. The only plans that we have is that we will be in Bar Harbor on
July 24 and 25 for me to play drums at the Bar Harbor music festival.
What to do the other days?
I am looking for suggestions of other places to go to, and must do
things up in
that area for the rest of the trip. Of the four people on the boat,
some of us like to anchor in small quiet places, and some of us (me)
like marinas at more busy places. I know that no matter where we go it
will be great and bueatiful.
your ideas would be most helpful! Thanks

Richard Malcolm

"thanks everyone
got the cruising book and we head to RI on Friday to load up and off
we go on Saturday!
Don White

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
"thanks everyone
got the cruising book and we head to RI on Friday to load up and off
we go on Saturday!

Don't forget to cross the Bay of Fundy for a peek at Nova Scotia if the
weather clears.